Quit smoking cold turkey

3 1/2 YEARS!! wow Do you know what got you back to smoking again after being free for so long?
Yep - absolutely, the same thing that sunk my next quit, which was 7 months long. You know, it's funny that most people assume smoking is a coping strategy for stress; it was never that part of it that was the problem for me. I allowed myself to dwell on how much I "enjoyed" and missed it and how much "better" it made fun things like vacations. I re-started both times on vacation, promising myself I'd drop it again immediately when I got home. :sad2: Not a chance.

But you're way smarter that me, right? You're gonna do great! :cheer2:

Last edited:
Yep - absolutely, the same thing that sunk my next quit, which was 7 months. You know, it's funny that most people assume smoking is a coping strategy for stress; it was never that part of it that was the problem for me. I allowed myself to dwell on how much I "enjoyed" and missed it and how much "better" it made fun things like vacations. I re-started both times on vacation, promising myself I'd drop it again immediately when I got home. :sad2: Not a chance.

My brother quit and started smoking again 3 times with me on vacation. Each time was at EPCOT in the world showcase. He said there was something about the environment and memories of smoking there that made him do it. He actually left the park and bought a pack of cigarettes just so he could return and smoke. I didn't understand it but something about EPCOT is a trigger for him. We avoid it now because he's quit again and I'd hate to trigger another relapse.

Yep - absolutely, the same thing that sunk my next quit, which was 7 months long. You know, it's funny that most people assume smoking is a coping strategy for stress; it was never that part of it that was the problem for me. I allowed myself to dwell on how much I "enjoyed" and missed it and how much "better" it made fun things like vacations. I re-started both times on vacation, promising myself I'd drop it again immediately when I got home. :sad2: Not a chance.

My brother quit and started smoking again 3 times with me on vacation. Each time was at EPCOT in the world showcase. He said there was something about the environment and memories of smoking there that made him do it. He actually left the park and bought a pack of cigarettes just so he could return and smoke. I didn't understand it but something about EPCOT is a trigger for him. We avoid it now because he's quit again and I'd hate to trigger another relapse.

I was nervous to go to Disney for the first time after quitting, but I've been twice now since and it's gone great!

But we were on a cruise another trip and it was very, very rocky. I kept thinking how much more calm I'd be if only I could sit on the deck with the other smokers and enjoy the ride! :) Didn't smoke, but now I don't like cruising very much either!

Today is my 2 week anniversary of being smoke free. I decided 2 weeks ago today that my morning cigarette would be my last and haven't had one since. Not even a puff. Honestly, if I knew how easy it was going to be I would have done this years ago. I'm 36 and have smoked for 20 years, I'm well aware of the damage I've probably already done and just hoping I'm young enough to heal some of the damage.

Panic and fear of quitting has kept me from even trying all these years. Day 1 and 2 were hard, very uncomfortable but not unbearable, not painful. Just felt like I was crawling out of my own skin at times but not the worst thing I've gone through by far....Day 3 was so much better and every day has gotten easier, less triggers as time goes on. It's the oddest feeling but I just don't feel like I ever smoked if that makes sense. Majority of my day I dont even think about it, hoping as time goes on I can get through days and weeks without thinking about....but for now I'll take a couple hours of not thinking about it. I feel brand new.

My fear is I read about people who quit for 1-3 months of even years and go back to it, any successful former smokers here with a few years under their belt for motivation?

For anyone looking to quit I read Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking and bought a harmless cigarette, it isn't electronic has no vape or nicotine, its basically a straw that resembles a cigarette. It gives me something to do with my hands especially when I'm driving because that is a big trigger for me still.

I smoke around 1/2 a pack a day for around 15 years. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant with my first child-quit completely cold turkey. 5 years later and I have no desire to have a cigarette.

Today is my 2 week anniversary of being smoke free. I decided 2 weeks ago today that my morning cigarette would be my last and haven't had one since. Not even a puff. Honestly, if I knew how easy it was going to be I would have done this years ago. I'm 36 and have smoked for 20 years, I'm well aware of the damage I've probably already done and just hoping I'm young enough to heal some of the damage.

Panic and fear of quitting has kept me from even trying all these years. Day 1 and 2 were hard, very uncomfortable but not unbearable, not painful. Just felt like I was crawling out of my own skin at times but not the worst thing I've gone through by far....Day 3 was so much better and every day has gotten easier, less triggers as time goes on. It's the oddest feeling but I just don't feel like I ever smoked if that makes sense. Majority of my day I dont even think about it, hoping as time goes on I can get through days and weeks without thinking about....but for now I'll take a couple hours of not thinking about it. I feel brand new.

My fear is I read about people who quit for 1-3 months of even years and go back to it, any successful former smokers here with a few years under their belt for motivation?

For anyone looking to quit I read Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking and bought a harmless cigarette, it isn't electronic has no vape or nicotine, its basically a straw that resembles a cigarette. It gives me something to do with my hands especially when I'm driving because that is a big trigger for me still.

Another cold turkey quitter. I HAVE gone back to it 4 times, after 3 mons, 3yrs, 3yrs, and 5yrs. Done for good NOW!

Secret for me, is I cannot have 1 cigarette otherwise it becomes 2 and then it is 3 yrs later.

Also do not fall for the "I need a cigarette because I am so stressed" excuse! I want a cig daily. It never goes away FOR ME! :smokin:

My sister could not finish her endoscopy because her blood pressure dropped during the procedure, below 60 SATS. They had to stop it. She is a heavy smoker. She is going to see a pulmonologist to find out how bad she is. Her teeth are loose due to smoking.

Keep it up! :wave2:

Last edited:
Congratulations and good luck. Not a smoker but my Dad and both of my Grandfathers were.They all started in their teens . Dad and my one grandfather gave it up . Dad quit in his 30s and my Granddad around 60 . Dad said he did it to keep me and my sister from smoking ( if we smoked he told us he would start again). I know that they both felt the urge to light up on occasions so don't be hard on yourself if it happens to you.

Well done! I stopped smoking 16 years ago. Just thought one morning - this is stupid why am I smoking? Put an almost full pack in the bin and that was it. Haven't had one since. I think it helps here that smoking is banned in a lot of places so it wouldn't ever cross my mind. Plus it smells so disgusting that I can't believe I was ever a smoker. Not to mention the cost now is absolutely exorbitant!

I bought a harmless cigarette off amazon, no nicotine or vape its basically a straw that resembles a cigarette and I've been using that to help get me through the cravings. Better than eating!

Congratulations!!!

A LONG time ago, I had a friend quit that way. She cut a straw to cigarette length, decided that the weight wasn't right and cut a second length of straw and squished it inside the first piece. So if you need a cheap extra....

Congratulations!

I started smoking when I was 13 (high school). I quit when I was 26. I had cravings that lasted for close to 30 years. (Especially after a meal when I could smell someone smoking.)

Stay strong and think of all the $$$$ you are saving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter