• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quick trip report--solo with my four year old

wonderfuller

Mouseketeer
I just returned from a trip with my four year old daughter. Three days, park hoppers, Genie plus, Disneyland hotel (yes, I went all out, we were celebrating a milestone bday for me!). Despite some crazy busy days and the heat we had a fantastic time. We were there Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Saturday was fantastic (but hot). Crowds weren't bad at all, we managed to get there at rope drop, and we rode a ton of Fantasyland rides by 10:30. Sunday (DL's anniversary!) morning was a little more crowded, but at least it was cooler thanks to some lingering clouds. Sunday evening and ALL DAY Monday were absurdly crowded, though. I'm too tired to put together narrative so here's a bulleted list of high/lowlights:

Highlights:
-Grocery delivery to the DLH worked out so well. We used Amazon (Whole Foods). I got breakfast foods and iced coffee so we didn't have to waste time in the morning finding food/good coffee.
-My daughter and I were shocked to find out she made it to 40 inches so had a lot more options for rides. I was sure she was just under! We did Soarin', some of the Pier rides, and Thunder Mountain. Thunder mountain and Soarin' were on the edge of what she could handle so we skipped RSR and the other 40+ inch thrill rides.
-My daughter LOVED Turtle Talk and Philharmagic and I loved the AC and lack of crowds in both. Lol. Highly recommend those for this age group!
-Redwood challenge course. Great for unstructured time in an otherwise extremely structured trip.
-Trader Sams. My drink and salad were absolutely delicious and we both loved the atmosphere.
-Watching MSEP and the fireworks from across from small world. We staked out a good spot really early, and got annoyed with people squeezing in and blocking our view at the very last minute, but regardless they were both magical and my kiddo loved them.
-Storytellers Brunch. My kid was mostly SUPER SHY around the characters, but the low key way they interact at Storytellers worked well for her and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food.
-All the character sightings! I don't remember seeing so many characters everywhere on my previous trips. My daughter loved spotting princesses and characters just wandering around. We had a great interaction with Rey.
-We experienced very few ride breakdowns. Granted, we were for the most part on Fantasyland etc rides that don't break down often but we didn't really have any of our plans impacted by breakdowns.
-Photopass photographers were way more available than I remember them being on previous trips and we got some great pics.
-WOC dessert party. Absolutely worth the absurd price. 100%. Magical.
-The new exit out DCA to the Paradise Pier hotel (next to Goofy's sky school). We stayed at the DLH and I exited out this way after the first world of color show and IT WAS MAGICAL. I didn't see another person on practically the entire walk, and the fireworks starting going off as we were walking. HIGHLY recommend using this exit from DCA in the evening if you are at the DLH (or paradise pier, of course, lol). I assume you cannot enter the park this way if you're not a paradise pier guest but I didn't check.
-Stroller. I don't know how i would have managed the trip without it. She possibly could have done most of the walking, but the shade it provided as well as the block from overstimulation (and a seat for while we were waiting for shows to start), was so important.
-Genie plus. I hate and am mad about the cost and i didn't get my money's worth (basically only using it for small world, buzz, thunder mountain, Soarin, and TSMMl.) BUT. Having options ways to ride without a wait was super helpful on those insane evenings.

Lowlights
-Crowds in Fantasyland (and everywhere else!) Sunday/Monday evenings were just insane, like panic attack inducing. I'm no DL newbie, I knew it would be nuts, but it was next level. Sunday evening we had a MEP from fishing earlier and I just gave up and left the park because I couldn't even handle fighting the crowds to find a ride to go on.
-I couldn't even get on Monsters Inc or Little Mermaid because I'd put them off on our DCA morning and by 11:00 both were at 30-60 minutes. Although my daughter would love them I absolutely refuse to wait that long for those two rides.
-Kiddo lost her princess hat on Autopia and somehow they never found it. She was very upset and I already hated that ride so having her sob the whole rest of the way around, then waiting forever while they searched for it, did not further endear it to me.
-Cafe Orleans. While it was a lovely break for my feet to sit in a chair for 50 minutes waiting for a (crappy) salad and kids mac and cheese to arrive it was certainly not worth the $$$.
-Covid anxiety. It was really hard being so packed in with people. We masked inside and mostly ate outside, but it was just too darn hot for us to mask when walking around in all those crowds outdoors. I've been back for a couple days now and it's clear I picked up some sort of mild illness on my trip (from the plane or disneyland, who knows). Still testing negative and crossing my fingers.
-DLH. This is mixed. There were some nice things about it but I guess I expected our room to be nicer. And man, it really is a long walk to the parks (tho the monorail was great). Also, our room shared a wall with the service elevator and definitely kept me (but not kiddo at least) awake. I know i could have tried to change rooms but I was solo with a four year and unpacked by the time I figured it out. Although it was fun staying at the DLH (and there were some things i did really like!) it was so not worth the money to me and it's unlikely I'll stay there again. Now, I absolutely will shell out the money to do the GCH in the future (on very special occasions).
-Three days was not enough! I wish I would have done one more day, as we didn't managed to cram in some of my favorite rides. At the same time, I'm not sure I could have survived another day solo with a four year old. Lol.

Happy to answer any questions to help with your planning!

Thanks for this! Staying at the VGC with 3.5 year old twins at the end of August, so this is helpful to read. My girls are just 40 inches, so want them to go on everything with me, but not sure how up for it they will be. Ones certainly a better bet than the other!

You also made me rethink the WOC dessert party. If it was just my husband and I, I would have booked without a second thought, but going with 2 adults who don’t drink and two kids,
the price does seem really high!

The crowd reports are making me nervous though. I’d consider myself someone who loves Disney with light crows, likes it with moderate crowds, and would be perfectly fine just skipping with heavy crowds. Fingers crossed, I guess we’ll just have to see.

I got the Piranha Pool. My favorite tropical (hawaiian) drink is a Lava Flow and it really reminded me of that!
Nice! When looking at the menu I think that’s one of the ones that sounded good
I haven’t been to trader sams in a bit! Last time I had the tiki tiki tiki tiki……one

-DLH. This is mixed. There were some nice things about it but I guess I expected our room to be nicer. And man, it really is a long walk to the parks (tho the monorail was great). Also, our room shared a wall with the service elevator and definitely kept me (but not kiddo at least) awake. I know i could have tried to change rooms but I was solo with a four year and unpacked by the time I figured it out. Although it was fun staying at the DLH (and there were some things i did really like!) it was so not worth the money to me and it's unlikely I'll stay there again. Now, I absolutely will shell out the money to do the GCH in the future (on very special occasions).
I have to agree with you on this. I've always loved DLH and have stayed there often. I just got back from a 3-night stay and felt exactly as you. It was nice, but fell far short of the price I paid, and I'm willing to pay very well to stay on site. There used to be so many amenities that came with a stay, from dining and shopping options to entertainment, but now it's sadly lacking in all of that and now the Starbucks at that end of DTD is gone. I had a deluxe room in the Fantasy (lobby) tower and it was lacking in anything deluxe. We were next-to-the end room, farthest from DTD, with a pool view. It was mostly a view of buildings and the new DVC tower being constructed. They used to include niceties that are no longer provided--they had shampoo, conditioner, and body wash but that was about it. We had to request housekeeping service, and on weekdays the construction noise was very evident. The room was really dated. It wasn't that it was bad, but after paying over $800/night (incl tax), I also came to the conclusion it simply isn't worth it now. We used the monorail a lot and that was great, but there just isn't anything currently to justify the rate they're charging. I'll pay for GCH and not complain, but DLH needs to lower its prices and/or improve the guest experience considerably.

-Photopass photographers were way more available than I remember them being on previous trips and we got some great pics.

I forgot to get many photopass pictures, but it was great they had so many photographers.
-WOC dessert party. Absolutely worth the absurd price. 100%. Magical.
I agree. We will definitely do this again. Worth every penny!
-The new exit out DCA to the Paradise Pier hotel (next to Goofy's sky school). We stayed at the DLH and I exited out this way after the first world of color show and IT WAS MAGICAL. I didn't see another person on practically the entire walk, and the fireworks starting going off as we were walking. HIGHLY recommend using this exit from DCA in the evening if you are at the DLH (or paradise pier, of course, lol). I assume you cannot enter the park this way if you're not a paradise pier guest but I didn't check.
I loved the exit so much! It was quiet and peaceful and the walk was only 8 minutes. A CM told me it's for exit only for DLH guests, but PP guests can enter and exit that way.
-Kiddo lost her princess hat on Autopia and somehow they never found it. She was very upset and I already hated that ride so having her sob the whole rest of the way around, then waiting forever while they searched for it, did not further endear it to me.

Poor girl! Were you able to replace it? I've never understood the appeal of Autopia.
-DLH. This is mixed. There were some nice things about it but I guess I expected our room to be nicer. And man, it really is a long walk to the parks (tho the monorail was great). Also, our room shared a wall with the service elevator and definitely kept me (but not kiddo at least) awake. I know i could have tried to change rooms but I was solo with a four year and unpacked by the time I figured it out. Although it was fun staying at the DLH (and there were some things i did really like!) it was so not worth the money to me and it's unlikely I'll stay there again. Now, I absolutely will shell out the money to do the GCH in the future (on very special occasions)
Same here after our June DLH stay. Our room had various issues and the walk was SO far at the end of the night! We used the monorail when we could, but since it closes at 7:00 we had to walk back every night. This, our 3rd stay there, finally cured me of wanting to stay at DLH ever again. If I ever stay on property again it will be Grand Californian.

Thanks for the detailed report, I'm glad you had an awesome time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter