Quick Review of Art Smith's Homecoming (No Pics)

thebigman65

DIS Veteran
Hey All,

I was down in Orlando with some buddies for our annual fishing trip this past weekend. Friday night we decided to head over to Disney Springs and check out Art Smith's Homecoming. Here are my thoughts:

- We did not have a reservation, but they took our names and told us it would be about 30 minutes. They took my cell number and told us they would text us when the table was ready.

- We went to sit in the open bar/patio area and had some drinks. It is a nice little area and they had patio warmers on, as it was somewhat chilly. Drinks and Service we excellent!

- After 30 minutes went by, we were texted and our table was ready. They showed us to our table and the only negative thing i have to say is that it was one of those bar height tables and it was next to the bar. This is a preference thing for me and not really an issue as beggars can't be choosers, but if I had a reservation i would have asked for a more comfortable table in the main area. The restaurant is not overly loud, but it is not quiet either. Acceptable would be my opinion.

- Our server came over promptly and took our drink order. He explained the menu and recommended some items. We had solid service throughout the meal, with only one minor hiccup due to an incorrect order.....not sure if it was the kitchen or the server.

- We ordered 2 of the recommended apps to start, the Hush Puppies and the Church Lady Deviled Eggs. They were both excellent and greedily gobbled up!

- Next came our entree's. We all had the Fried Chicken meal with the exception of one person, who ordered the Chicken and Donuts. Basically the same meal, but with less chicken and.....you guessed it!....donuts! When they brought out our meals, they brought them all the same.....that's where the error was, but no big deal, they just brought the extra donuts my buddy was missing! The meal comes with 2 pieces of Chicken, Mashed potato's and Gravy (if desired) and a cheddar drop biscuit. There was also a garnish of Bread and Butter pickles. The chicken was awesome, moist, tender and crispy and most of all Hot and Fresh! The mashed potatoes were ok, but i was not a fan of the gravy. Biscuit was fine. The B&B pickles IMHO were not really B&B pickles. They tasted heavily of clove which i don't like. My buddies thought they were fine, but i didn't care for them at all. I make my own B&B pickles and these were not traditional B&B pickles.

- We did not have dessert as we all shared the Donuts that eventually showed up. I have to say the donuts were awesome!

- Overall the meal and atmosphere were great and i would recommend this place highly. The things I didn't like about it, were preference things for the most part so not really something they can control. If you are looking for good old fashioned home cooked food...I can highly recommend this place!

So, if you only received two pieces of chicken, did the person who ordered the chicken with donuts only get one piece of chicken?

No....the chicken dinner comes with 3 pieces and we all got 3 pieces....the Chicken and Donuts comes with 2 pieces, but because of the error, my buddy got 3 pieces and the donuts too!

I think I'll squeeze in a reservation here for our December trip, it sounds delicious. I've heard such great things. Thank you for the details!!

Wish we had the same experience, didn't live up to all of the rave reviews we read about before we dined here.

We were there two weeks ago. I have a crazy thing for chicken and waffles so I had the chicken and donuts as well and my daughter had the chicken with the sides. We ordered extra sides-mac and cheese and cole slaw. I agree with you that the chicken was delicious, it was the best part of the meal along with the donuts. We also did not love the gravy, the mashed potatoes or the biscuit. The extra sides were very mediocre too. I was expecting a better meal all around, to be honest. I would go back just for the chicken and donuts and to try the desserts as we did not even finish half of our food.

The same thing happened to me. I ordered the chicken and donuts, and the server brought me the regular chicken dinner. Having never eaten there before, I didn't notice there was more chicken, and I thought maybe they brought the donuts out after you finished the meal. Then when she asked us if we wanted dessert, I said I was supposed to get donuts. She brought out hot fresh donuts with cane sugar syrup (yum!) and charged me for the regular dinner. It is only $2 more, since you get more chicken, so I didn't fuss about it. Basically I got more chicken plus free donuts. The funny thing is we were very clear about getting the chicken with donuts because the server discussed it with us when we ordered, and I said I definitely wanted the donuts. The meal was excellent and I would like to go back again and try some of the bar drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter