Quick question..downloading Kindle books

phillmolly

DIS Veteran
I am planning on loading up my Kindle before we leave, but if I go through them or find I need something else to read, would I be able to download on the boat? What about at Castaway Cay ?

On my kindle you need to have wi-fi. It may be cheaper to buy a few books in port rather than pay the wi-fi charges on board lol!

I am planning on loading up my Kindle before we leave, but if I go through them or find I need something else to read, would I be able to download on the boat? What about at Castaway Cay ?

Does your Kindle have Whispernet? If it does you should be fine. WiFi-only not so much.

With Whispernet wouldn't she have to pay cellular at sea rates?

I downloaded a couple movies/books on mine before we left. You can do it in port or on the ship until you're out of local wi-fi range. That was my experience last week any way. :goodvibes

It was my experience that I couldn't download to my kindle when I just had the whispernet. With wifi, I could, if I paid for the internet time (just like using my laptop). You should have plenty of room on your kindle, so download way more than you think you'll read, just in case.

When I turned on wifi on mine I got a message about international charges. I turned it back off. I was just trying to sync the time anyway. I didn't do any downloading. Has anyone received a charge for doing that? I downloaded a ton before we left because it was a 2 week trip.

Mom323 said:
With Whispernet wouldn't she have to pay cellular at sea rates?

AFAIK Whispernet is always free to the consumer, because you've paid a flat rate to Amazon included in the device price. At least, that's how my Kindle works. People have written up stories about Whispernet working at the tops of mountains or deep in the jungles, when the latest phone model couldn't find a signal.

AFAIK Whispernet is always free to the consumer, because you've paid a flat rate to Amazon included in the device price. At least, that's how my Kindle works. People have written up stories about Whispernet working at the tops of mountains or deep in the jungles, when the latest phone model couldn't find a signal.

Good to know.

I have fired up the whispernet while in ports and haven't had any issues. Never tried it at sea. But there is a map out there somewhere showing the areas covered by whispernet (I know I've seen it, just can't remember where, because I did check that each of the islands we were sailing to were in the area just in case). I actually used whispernet a couple of times to look up things on the internet rather than paying DCL's internet fees - worked fine for basic sites.

I used my Kindle 2 (whispernet) while at sea and did not have any issues. You can even use the experimental internet exploerer to browse and access internet for facebook and email. It's extremely slow and limited, but I was able to do some minimal checking in.

Ijust got a kindle fire and I have no idea what whispernet is for. Could someone help a confused lady out

But it isn't free on a ship where you are using the ships system.

NurseDave said:
Kindle will hold hundreds of books. How long is your cruise???? ;)

Exactly! I've loaded a bunch of free books, in addition to some I've purchased, so I've always got lots of books to choose from. For a week, I can live without having to read the latest best-seller right away.

This works great for Ipads and kindles.
Load at home before you go books, movies, picures, music,etc..
Wi Fi connection with Apps for Kindle & Ipad
I own two and are great!
Solves problem with lack of storage.
NO NEED to buy Ipad with larger memory !!!

Kingston Wi-Drive 64 GB USB 2.0 Pocket-sized Portable Storage WID/64GB-A
Can be found on Amazon.

Free Wi-Drive Apps with Additional Features - downloadable at Apple's App Store, Google Play and Amazon Appstore
File Support - Wi-Drive can store any file type, but playback and viewing is based on the files that are supported by the moblie device.
Cable - Mini-USB to USB cable included
User can upload files and content from their PC/Mac to the Wi-Drive using the USB cable
Local Storage - wirelessly transfer files to and from the Wi-Drive App and the Wi-Drive hardware.
Convenient - pocket-sized for easy transportability
Guaranteed - one-year warranty
Rechargeable Battery - up to four hours of continuous use

Kingston Wi-Drive--Portable, Wireless Storage
Kingston's revolutionary new Wi-Drive gives you added, Flash-based storage for mobile devices, including Apple devices, Android devices, and Amazon Kindle Fire, so that you can share photos, videos, music and more with two other users. Share documents and other content, or stream media to break through the storage limitations of your mobile devices.

With integrated Wi-Fi and four hours of battery life, Kingston's new Wi-Drive offers pocket-sized portable storage and easy file sharing for Apple devices and Kindle Fire. Accessing or sharing your personal media has never been easier. Take it anywhere, in your purse, backpack or briefcase, to share your files, music, photos, videos and more.

Wi-Drive is backed by free technical support and legendary Kingston reliability. Kingston's Wi-Drive offers great portability, while delivering expanded storage and sharing options.

Portability
The Kingston Wi-Drive is Wi-Fi enabled so you can take your favorite media with you--and not be tethered to your computer. Just use your digital device as a player and display

Available in 32GB, 64GB or 128GB, the Wi-Drive adds storage space for more of your favorite music, photos, videos, PDFs and more. Take media or work files with you wherever you go--you're not limited by the storage on your portable devices any longer.

11a.jpg

But it isn't free on a ship where you are using the ships system.

Whispernet is always free to the end consumer as there is no tracking back as a cellular service. I'll give a personal example for any that care to read and interpret. I sent messages on July 4th from near St. Thomas and again July 5th. That day, we were on a sea day somewhere between St. Thomas and Castaway Cay. Both times, I used the Experimental Browser on my Kindle 2 to get on Facebook and send private messages to my grandmother to check-in. My Kindle doesn't have wifi, so that wasn't a possibility and I just looked at history to confirm dates. There are no charges for that usage as there are no ties to me for that service.

It's slow, but it does work. I sat on the adult deck area and read through my facebook page while waiting on the family to get up in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter