Quick Question about Monte Cristo

helenb

Wishing for the World...
We love the monte cristo sandwich and it is a must-have when we go to Disneyland. I have reservations for Cafe Orleans (our preferred spot, because we can have pommes frites too). But I just realized that they are serving some kind of 'mardis gras' version of the monte cristo right now. I don't mind the green sugar, but I'd rather have fruit than coleslaw, and berry compote instead of maple syrup.

Is it possible to get the monte cristo the 'original' way, instead of this new version?

They would not serve us the old version when we went last week (though we had a bad waiter so maybe he just didn't want to bother with putting in a special order).

It's apparently a supply issue with the jam/berry compote. For now, there is no way to get it served the original way.

They aren't even using real maple syrup. They are dumping some cheap scrappy corn product that ruins the sandwich

It's apparently a supply issue with the jam/berry compote. For now, there is no way to get it served the original way.

Wow, so I guess it's ''bring your own jam' to Cafe Orleans!

Are they still serving the compote at Blue Bayou?

Our server gave us Starwberry jam instead. Not as good but good enough. We asked for no colored sugar, just powdered sugar.

Looks like Cafe Orleans will be closed 6-16 May for refurb. Is there another place to get the Monte Cristo and pomme frites at DL? Thanks.

Does anyone know if the original Monte Cristo with the berry compote is available yet or when it will be? My sister and I are going next weekend and have a reservation specifically to eat that sandwich! Lol

....just curious.....what's the dealio about this Monte Cristo sammie that I keep hearing about? :confused3

The deal is that it is delicious!

We were at the park this past weekend. When we went in, they gave us the 'regular' menu as well as the special 'mardi gras' menu. When I ordered, I pointed to the monte cristo on the regular menu, saying that I wanted that version. The waiter told me that it would have the green sugar on top, which was fine by me, but he did bring the 'regular' version, with a bunch of grapes instead of the coleslaw, and strawberry jam instead of the berry compote.

....just curious.....what's the dealio about this Monte Cristo sammie that I keep hearing about? :confused3
So it's a sandwich that was kind of popular in some places in the 30's-60's, sometimes called a French Sandwich. It's basically ham and swiss sandwich which is battered and deep fried. Many traditional recipes had it sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with a side of jam or compote. Disney started serving their own version of it at Blue Bayou years ago, and then Cafe Orleans picked it up too, and sometimes it disappears from one or the other or is only available (like currently at BB) for lunch. One is the classic turkey, ham and swiss, the other is a 3 cheese.

There seem to be two camps: "Love it!" or "Eww, gross!" Sometimes it's called the Monte Crisco. :upsidedow It is undeniably rich and fatty. It sounds kind of heavy. BUT-- don't knock it till you try it. I think it makes a difference whether it is very fresh and hot. If you got it when it was cooling or not quite fresh, I think it would seem kind of congealed. The first time I had it, it was very, very good, but very filling. I could only eat half of it. The second time I had it, we'd had to go gluten free due to celiac, but if you email dining services ahead, they will make one GF for you. It was also quite good, though a lot smaller-- which was okay, since they are so crazy rich.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter