Questions! So, if I buy points at HH?

friskylady

Earning My Ears
and I want to make a ressie 7 months out at VWL or BWV how for second week of June how likely is it that I'll be able to get my date? I would appreciate some input on this.

It looks like resale prices at HH are the lowest of all the DVC resorts and maintenance is the lowest, is that correct? But I suppose that also means that HH would be the hardest resale too, in case that was ever necessary.

I know that the wisdom is to buy where you want to stay but the difference in price is substantial and if you don't want to use your points every year at Disney, doesn't it make sense to go the cheapest route?

One more question: can anyone point me to a web site that has more financial analysis of DVC? I read Brian Bennett's site, but I'd still like to see more financial justification. Right now I still have mucho reservations whether this makes financial sense at all for me, especially because my spouse thinks it is a very lame idea and has no interest in Disney (I always go with my daughter or friends).

Any input appreciated! Thanks very much.

They are cheaper for a reason.

You will get some people saying they have never had a problem, I don't think I would believe that. The seven month window means that you will have a very difficult time getting a standard view. I expect VWL to get tougher, just like BWV did.

Personally, I don't think the savings would be worth the difficulty in using the points.

Remember, one of the reasons that the points are cheaper is that people realize they were fooled by DVC sales staff. THey were told that "Home resort doesn't matter".....reality sets in and it becomes pretty apparent how much home resort DOES matter.

If you intend for HH to be your primary vacation spot with a rare trip to WDW, HH could be a good choice.

Actually, I believe Old Key West has the lowest dues per year. Can you get BWV or VWL at 7 months out during the second week of June? I believe you have a good chance to do that and if for any reason you can't get one of those, OKW would likely be available. That is simply because of the particular week you mentioned. Much of summer is actually one of the easier times to get at DVC resorts at WDW at 7 months out. Where you have far more problems is most times for the rest of the year; for example, those resorts are next to impossible to get in early December at 7 months out. Buying where you plan to stay most is the wisest choice; if nothing else it assures you never have to even face the issue of being unable to get what you need at 7 months out.

As far as financial justification, I do not know sites that do it better than Brian's (others may). In the long run, it will be cheaper than renting hotel rooms at Disney Deluxe resorts and possibly moderates. It will likely not be cheaper than renting the value resorts or staying off-site. But financial advantage should not be the main justification. Members have a variety of reasons for joining. Many to assure having a room annually at a deluxe resort at Disney. Many more are probably like us as we wanted more than that--we wanted to get out of ever having to stay in something the size of a hotel room again and also be in a deluxe resort right next to a park. Thus we bought enough of an interest to assure we can always get a 1BR unit or larger at BWV.

You say you don't plan to go to Disney every year. One other point to make. If you want to stay at Hilton Head during the summer months, you will need that 11 month booking window. Reservations at HH during June, July, and August book quickly.

It all depends on what your future vacation plans are. Also are you dead set at staying at a particular DVC resort. If you are flexible with your dates and don't really care which resort you stay at, you will have a better chance at getting a room. (not a guarentee, but a better chance)

I think that it depends on your situation. If you can never make reservations 11 months in advance, then it really doesn't matter where you buy. Your home resort only gives you the advantage of making reservations 11 months in advance. The biggest problem that people have is at the BW getting a standard view. Also if you want to always book a Grand Villa then that may be a problem with the seven month window. Think about your needs before you make your decision.
I own at OKW and have used my points to stay at HHI. We are also using our points to stay at the Grand Californian in Disneyland next week. We are planning a trip for 2003 at Vero Beach and OKW. When you buy into DVC you are buying a vacation club. It is not the OKW club, or the HHI club, Or the BWV club. The choices were what sold me on buying. Once again, think about your own situation before buying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter