• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions on Personal Fans & Cooling Towels from one who has never used either.

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
mid-Sept trip. 8 park days
We've visited WDW/FL many times in Sept & Aug. so we know how hot and humid it can be
I'm thinking that wearing masks will add a whole other layer (figuratively AND literally) to how much we "feel" the heat/humidity.
To help conteract this, I have purchased Frogg Toggs Chilly Mini Wrap for each of us and am actively looking at types of personal fans on amazon.

My question regarding the cooling wrap, for those who have used them, is what technique do you find works best? Draping it over your shoulders? Rewetting it periodically? Other tips for use?

Regarding personal fans? Rechargeable is best? One that you have used in WDW and loved it? The kind that hang on the neck (hands free) or hand held type on a lanyard? Other tips?

TIA!

I don’t know what the attitude is these days about personal fans. My hair dresser is not allowed to blow dry my hair, so that germs don’t blow around. Shouldn’t the same apply to a personal fan?

I don’t know what the attitude is these days about personal fans. My hair dresser is not allowed to blow dry my hair, so that germs don’t blow around. Shouldn’t the same apply to a personal fan?
even with a mask?

When we went last year, some of the others in our group had those portable fans that also spray water. I tried it a few times and didn't do much for me, the water just made everything feel clammy/sticky. It reminds me of those overhead water sprays they have in some areas when people are waiting in line. Didn't do anything for me, but I guess the theory is that the evaporating water will make you feel cooler. Just seems like one more thing you can do without and a pain to carry all day at the parks.

Opolar fans at Amazon are my absolute favorite! I am going through hot flashes like crazy and I need a fan all the time.

I like the hand held ones as they seem to provide the most "air".

I have tried some neck fans and I do not think they push out enough air. I have tried the lanyard type fan, but i do not like items hanging from my neck when I am hot. I also like the fans that attach to your belt/shorts. They will blow air up your shirt or you can use it as a lanyard.

I do not like the water type fans as they make me feel yucky! It's like spraying wet hot water on my already sweating face.

I like the Opolar fans as they last a long time, you can buy a model with an extra battery for recharging.

Opolar fans at Amazon are my absolute favorite! I am going through hot flashes like crazy and I need a fan all the time.

I like the hand held ones as they seem to provide the most "air".

I have tried some neck fans and I do not think they push out enough air. I have tried the lanyard type fan, but i do not like items hanging from my neck when I am hot. I also like the fans that attach to your belt/shorts. They will blow air up your shirt or you can use it as a lanyard.

I do not like the water type fans as they make me feel yucky! It's like spraying wet hot water on my already sweating face.

I like the Opolar fans as they last a long time, you can buy a model with an extra battery for recharging.
Sister!!! I hear you! Hot flashes here too.... like in an air conditioned room..... my personal furnace will click on and I'm on fire (not in a good way). This is why I'm extra worried about the Sept heat and masks to boot.
I'm not looking to get the "mister" fans. I feel the same as others here: The FL humidity makes my skin "wet" enough.
Thanks for your input. Will check out the ones that attach to your waist.

I don’t remember the brand name but two years ago our September trip was more humid than normal so I bought the towels they were selling at Disney. My husband drenched the entire towel but I only wet the part on my neck, didn’t want the front of my shirt get wet. Last year they were selling towels with Mickey on them

Correct. Hair dresser said it is not allowed.

That's the first time I'd heard that. Each state (or county or locality) seems to have their own rules for what does or doesn't spread the virus, and that's not one I had heard. Interesting! I'm curious about the basis for it, especially since part of the point of wearing the mask is to greatly reduce the droplets that go out past the mask (and therefore wouldn't be blown around). Hm - now I need to go look that up because it'll bug me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter