Questions for Canadians with DVC

MikeM1234

Earning My Ears
Hello All,
Hoping to gain a little insight on DVC membership among Canadians. We are out of Calgary and our trips to WDW usually end up being in the 10 day range due to the cost and distance traveled, it just seems like better value to book a longer stay once a year.

We are looking at buying 200 points for Saratoga Springs on Resale.

Just a couple of questions to any DVC members out there:

- Any issues booking longer stays (approx 10 days) in the Adventure Season (Sept & Jan)?
- How far out do I need to book a longer stay?
- Is Grand Californian impossible to get a room at?
- What are the biggest perks any Resale Buyers out there are Missing the most?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers

Hi

Never any issue booking longer stays. We go for 12-14 nights usually. Often in January and October. We throw in the odd 5-7 night trip. We are flexible in where we stay. I've stayed at every resort and would be happy to return to any of them.

We book at the eleven or seven month point when we can but we have booked as late as two weeks out for a week long stay. Often I'll book at 11 months and switch out at seven months.

Can't answer your last question beyond not being able to use some of our points for cruises, etc. Don't miss that at all. We use our points for Disney. If we do something else, we don't switch the points out. We rent our points and use the cash for other travel. Better use of points.

We get all the other perks because we bought some points direct.

Hello. To your questions. (We own BCV and GFV. All bought direct)

- I have never had trouble booking longer stays at the 11 month window, no matter what the length. However, I have never booked Christmas. Less than 11 months, yes, there is sometimes difficulty.
- 11 month window should rarely see an issue in reserving a longer stay. 7 months and shorter, yes you will have some difficulties depending on your resort choice.
- Never requested Grand Californian but I have read it is very difficult to reserve unless you own there.
- Cannot properly answer this one as all our points are direct but I would think Annual passes is one of the biggest perks you would not be entitled to.

Good luck.

For SSR( we own 2 contracts there) no issues with the time of booking. Even other resorts in Sept at 7 months we have had great success with. Plus with longer stays like you say you can do split stays and enjoy 2 or 3 resorts on one vacation. We have in Sept and March stayed at BLT for couple of days to walking to MK. Then switching over to Beach club or BW for walking to Epcot and HS. But we have also stayed the whole week at SSR and my girls love the pools there and walking to Disney Springs.
For perks missing out on there really is only 2. AP discount and TIW. But work the numbers and see if you need these perks. If you do then you can always add on 25points direct after you find your resale contract.
Good Luck.

- Any issues booking longer stays (approx 10 days) in the Adventure Season (Sept & Jan)?
Cannot speak for Sept but we go for three weeks in Jan. You need to book the Marathon Weekend, first full weekend in January and Martin Luther King Weekend, third Monday in January ASAP. For 2018 other than SSR, OKW or AKV they are difficult to get already.
Generally, if you have probable dates and available points, book.
We like split stays. While you do not want to move too frequently it is nice to experience the different resorts and proximity to different parks etc. So do not feel you need to get all 10 nights at one resort.
Yes although you can use your points for the other hotels and it is not as unreasonable as WDW (relative to GCV point requrement)
I would think AP discount including ability to get the Gold AP. Given the dates you mention it would work for you and is good value. (We are eligible for the perks so I am not certain what resale is now eligible for. You might get more responses to this on the DVC forum.)

We're DVC owners out of Calgary as well (bought 200 points at AKV direct back in 2011). Strongly recommend that you cross-post your thread to the DVC Mousecellaneous board - good people with good information over there.

I can tell you that the number one recommendation on that board is always "buy where you want to stay".

To answer your questions as best I can:
1&2 - If you are ok going to WDW, you should never have any issue booking 10 days at your 11-month home resort booking window, and for most resorts (depending on room type - eg unlikely to get AKV Value or Concierge, or BLT theme park view studios), you should not have much difficulty booking right at 7 months. Anything closer in than 7 months is always risky - although in Adventure Season, you should be ok.
3 - VGC is tough any time of year, unless you're an owner at 11 months. The odds of getting 10 days are slim to none. We purchased AKV since VGC was sold out, but bought into the theory that because our daughter had a non-traditional school year, we would have a reasonably good shot at getting VGC reservations. That worked once, but unfortunately her school changed back to a traditional year, and we have been unable to obtain VGC reservations ever since. All to say that assumptions at the time of purchase can easily be proven wrong.
4 - If DL/DCA is the biggest draw for you, as resale, you have lost the ability to use your points to obtain a room at any of the three hotels on property (not that it's a great use of points, but it saves you having to figure out how to rent points and use the cash to rent a room). There are other perks that people on the DVC Board can fill you in on.

I just came back from our second DVC stay this past weekend. Like others have said, for the Jan & Sept months there really should be no issue booking almost anywhere for those times of year. As for VGC, my brother just got back from a stay there, he booked it at 8am at the 7 month mark and was able to get a room, however he checked again 2 days later for availability and there was none, so they do fill up quickly. And chances are since you are from Calgary and you only plan on staying once a year, the AP doesn't hold much value as for the discounts. The perk from buying direct that seemed to help the most with this past vacation was the 20% discount on merchandise. But aside from that, the restaurant discounts are slim to none anymore and the free events they have throughout the year are only good if you are there at those times.

Hope this info helps!

We've been members since 2002. Before our purchase, we visited WDW once a year for 1 wk. After our purchase, we increased our visits and eventually went AT LEAST 2 wks twice a year (esssentially 4 wks a year).

But to answer your questions:

I book 14 or 15 nights each time. I do tend to use my Home Resort Priority for our stays in BCV, AKV and VB. I have also booked 7mths prior and have had little issue. None of these were during the Adventure Season, so I would say that you'll be fine even at 7mths booking.

As I mentioned, I usually book at 11mths and have often have no issues when booking at 7mths as well. However, I have rarely booked less than 7mths.

I have booked VGC only twice so I'm definitely not an expert. At exactly 7mths prior, I was able to get a studio for a week both times. I will admit I was always nervous. My first reservation was near the end of August and the other was mid March. Although, I won't assume I can always do that since there are very few villas to begin with. It is my belief that this is one of resort that you should own if you feel that you will be visiting often.

Sorry, I don't know the answer. I believe that as long as you purchase directly from DVC at least one contract, then you will not have this issue.

Just as an aside, I don't think you need to purchase SSR for the Home Resort Priority. For the few times I had to modify or book less than 7 mths prior, SSR was always available.

1. We own BLT and have not had issues booking trips between 8 and 19 nights in summer (late July through August) and post Christmas through New Years.

2. Always wise too book as soon as you can no matter how long you plan to stay, but the longer the trip, the earlier I would recommend.

3. We were able to get a 2BR at the Grand Cal right at the opening of our 7 month window. We travelled in August.

4. I bought direct, so Not sure about resale restrictions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter