• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions about renting a ECV

mickeys friend

DIS Veteran
I have only rented a ECV for Epcot every year that we go, but this year (June) I will need to rent one for my whole week and didn't know which companies are the best to work with? Do any come with a top for shade? About how long do the batteries last? What info will they need to figure out which kind would be best for me? Do all of them fit on the Disney buses? Any help would be great since this is new to me.

You'll get lots of great answers, but I'll try to answer a few. First, the shade-I don't know who rents them, but some people don't like them because they inhibit your view around you, and as lots of people know, there's plenty of stuff suddenly coming at you from behind and/or the sides. All ECVs that I'm aware of fit on the buses, no problem. Companies basically fall into 2 categories-the "featured" vendors, those are the ones who can drop off and pick up from bell services without you being there-I forget all of the companies but 2 of them are Buena Vista and Apple. Buena Vista has uniformly great reviews, Apple has mixed reviews as well as an F rating by the Better Business Bureau. That F rating has been enough to keep me scared off. The non-featured vendors require you to be present when the ECV is picked up or dropped off, maybe a little less convenient, but it might be a plus for a first-timer. I used Walker (I'm sure there are others) and they made pick up and drop off relatively convenient and when I was a first timer, I kind of liked having a person explain controls and things to me. I've also rented the ones at Epcot, and the ones from off-site are a little easier to manuever and I found mine to be just as comfortable (Some people say the in park ones are more comfortable, but I didn't think so).

I would rethink the sunshade. They are very impractical and I'm not sure how they work for the buses. Rear baskets cannot stay on an ECV when taken on Disney buses. They must be removed. Not sure about the sunshade. And what I find interesting is that when I see someone with a sunshade, I see the shadow on the ground that the sunshade provides. About 90% of the time, the person using the ECV is not in that shadow. I think they are really only truly effective when the sun is at its highest point in the sky.

There are rental companies who do rent ECVs that will not fit on the Disney buses (not many but a few). That was what prompted Disney to paint the ECV squares at all the bus stops. If it fits in the square, it can fit on the bus. "Preferred" vendors will not rent ones that won't fit on the bus as that is a part of their contract.
Now with that said, there are some great nonpreferred vendors out there who don't carry those oversized ECVs. Walker is not a preferred vendor but they are one of the first companies to rent offsite ECVs. If they were so bad, they wouldn't have survived all these years.

My suggestion is to check the company's history with the BBB. Walker who is not preferred has an A+ rating. Buena Vista (I believe they are a preferred vendor) has either an A or A+ as well. Preferred vendor Apple has an F. Apple tends to be cheaper than others, but cheaper isn't always better especially when it can cost you time or added stress when you are on vacation.

They will probably ask your height and weight to make sure the ECV model is size appropriate. The biggest decision will probably be whether you want a 3 wheel or 4 wheel model. Personally, I much prefer the 4 wheel model as I find them to be more stable. Some people feel the 3 wheel models are easier for turning. I find the turning radius on my 4 wheel model to be just as good as any 3 wheeled model. I also feel that I have more footrest room on my 4 wheeled model. I can stretch my legs out straight on mine but could never do that on any 3 wheeled model.

You shouldn't have any problems making it through a typical park day if you charge the battery every night. Also when sitting still turn the ECV off and this helps conserve the battery. Examples of times you should shut it off could include waiting for or watching a show or parade, waiting in a stagnant line (i.e. laugh floor comedy, tough to be a bug, tiki room, country bear jamboree, Hall of Presidents, etc... they load in batches, so you stay in the same place for several minutes at a time), while dining, watching the fireworks or nighttime shows, while sitting still conversing with others or even just people watching. Those types of situations are ideal for turning the power off and conserving the battery. But for all intents and purposes you should be good for power for typical park days.

I would rethink the sunshade. They are very impractical and I'm not sure how they work for the buses. Rear baskets cannot stay on an ECV when taken on Disney buses. They must be removed. Not sure about the sunshade. And what I find interesting is that when I see someone with a sunshade, I see the shadow on the ground that the sunshade provides. About 90% of the time, the person using the ECV is not in that shadow. I think they are really only truly effective when the sun is at its highest point in the sky.

There are rental companies who do rent ECVs that will not fit on the Disney buses (not many but a few). That was what prompted Disney to paint the ECV squares at all the bus stops. If it fits in the square, it can fit on the bus. "Preferred" vendors will not rent ones that won't fit on the bus as that is a part of their contract.
Now with that said, there are some great nonpreferred vendors out there who don't carry those oversized ECVs. Walker is not a preferred vendor but they are one of the first companies to rent offsite ECVs. If they were so bad, they wouldn't have survived all these years.

My suggestion is to check the company's history with the BBB. Walker who is not preferred has an A+ rating. Buena Vista (I believe they are a preferred vendor) has either an A or A+ as well. Preferred vendor Apple has an F. Apple tends to be cheaper than others, but cheaper isn't always better especially when it can cost you time or added stress when you are on vacation.

They will probably ask your height and weight to make sure the ECV model is size appropriate. The biggest decision will probably be whether you want a 3 wheel or 4 wheel model. Personally, I much prefer the 4 wheel model as I find them to be more stable. Some people feel the 3 wheel models are easier for turning. I find the turning radius on my 4 wheel model to be just as good as any 3 wheeled model. I also feel that I have more footrest room on my 4 wheeled model. I can stretch my legs out straight on mine but could never do that on any 3 wheeled model.

You shouldn't have any problems making it through a typical park day if you charge the battery every night. Also when sitting still turn the ECV off and this helps conserve the battery. Examples of times you should shut it off could include waiting for or watching a show or parade, waiting in a stagnant line (i.e. laugh floor comedy, tough to be a bug, tiki room, country bear jamboree, Hall of Presidents, etc... they load in batches, so you stay in the same place for several minutes at a time), while dining, watching the fireworks or nighttime shows, while sitting still conversing with others or even just people watching. Those types of situations are ideal for turning the power off and conserving the battery. But for all intents and purposes you should be good for power for typical park days.
The bolded is incorrect I always have a rented scooter with a rear basket and have used it on all disney transportation.

I have only had to rent a ECV starting about 2 years ago I use scooter bug rentals they are a preferred provider and I had two issues on two separate trips and they were not caused by scooter bug but they did fix it within an hour one the bell service desk gave my scooter to someone else and the scooter I got did not have a rear basket mounted which I always get they had a new scooter delivered within an hour, the second time the model I rent uses just a plug to charge I went to plug in the cord to the scooter and the plug went backwards into the scooter and again they had a new scooter to me within an hour. I think they are a fabulous company and don't understand why they don't get more love on the board. I actually started renting from them because they are the only company that I found that has a scooter with a high back and I need the back support.

There are accessories that you can choose to have on your rented scooter and a canopy is one of them, they are an extra charge, some companies charge extra by the day some for the entire rental, for example I get a rear basket mounted, it costs me $20 for the entire rental.

The bolded is incorrect I always have a rented scooter with a rear basket and have used it on all disney transportation.
It is not wrong. Just because you weren't told to remove your rear basket doesn't mean it's not a rule. You've just been fortunate enough that the bus driver bent the rule and allowed your basket to stay on. But Disney's OFFICIAL policy is rear baskets are to be removed before boarding the bus!

It is not wrong. Just because you weren't told to remove your rear basket doesn't mean it's not a rule. You've just been fortunate enough that the bus driver bent the rule and allowed your basket to stay on. But Disney's OFFICIAL policy is rear baskets are to be removed before boarding the bus!
Where is the official policy (please post a link to it) because the basket is screwed on it isn't a basket that is removable.

Where is the official policy (please post a link to it) because the basket is screwed on it isn't a basket that is removable.
Not every rule is in print for the guest to see/read. Many are in training manuals and other documents used by CMs but not guests. Doesn't mean it isn't a rule/policy just because it's not in print for a guest to read!

The rear basket issue may depend on size -- ECV plus basket must still fit into the "box" painted on the ground at the bus stops. If it all fits they will let the basket stay; if it sticks outside that footprint it must be removed. Like many things, how well enforced that is may depend on circumstances -- the bus driver, the crowds, or what.

That box is drawn to the dimensions acceptable under ADA legislation.

Enjoy your vacation!

Not every rule is in print for the guest to see/read. Many are in training manuals and other documents used by CMs but not guests. Doesn't mean it isn't a rule/policy just because it's not in print for a guest to read!

Oh please, if a policy is put into place that guests need to follow then it most certainly be made public so the guests know they have to follow the policy. it is absurd to say a policy exists but we aren't telling you what it is.

Oh please, if a policy is put into place that guests need to follow then it most certainly be made public so the guests know they have to follow the policy. it is absurd to say a policy exists but we aren't telling you what it is.

I NEVER said they won't tell you what it is!!!!
I said that not every policy/rule is in writing and enforced by every CM(and on the internet). Please reread my post more closely.
They have a rule about no passengers on the ECV you rent. However, the vast majority of CMs do nothing when they see this happen. Too many guests become confrontationalwhen told they have to or cannot do something. So many CMs turn a blind eye because they do not want to deal with that nasty confrontation.

You seem to think just because something isn't in writing on the Internet it doesn't exist. That simply is not true.

Have a magical day.

I agree with others on the canopy shade - I've seen the ECV's with it and it seems so cumbersome looking. We go in July every year and one nice thing with the ECV is you can find an out of the way place to park and sit in the shade even when all the benches and table seats are taken. Most of the queue's have shade. I'm sure if you're sun sensitive this may be more of an issue for you but so far for me I've not wished for a canopy. I do typically wear a baseball style hat to keep the sun out of my eyes - very helpful for being able to see where you're going as well!

I rented a rear basket once and ended up removing it before trying to board a bus. It made the scooter so darn long that it really, really bothered me. It felt like I went from a sports car to a school bus in terms of maneuvering it. I guess I like knowing the back of my seat is roughly the same as the back of the scooter.

I've rented from Buena Vista Scooters- great service always and they were very nice to work with me on our last trip when my son got sick and I thought we might have to cancel. BV has also put the charging cord in a little pouch on the back so you have your whole front basket free. Have a great trip!

Just want to clarify: there are no "preferred" vendors. Yes, originally when WDW added the restriction of who can and can't utilize Bell Services to obtain equipment, this was the designation. It was changed to "featured" vendors some time ago.

Preferred distinctly implies better. Instead, the designation and authorization results from these companies paying a fee to WDW in order to use Bell Services. That's it.

My own preferreed/recommended companies are: Walker for their excellent service and response; Randy's because they have always handed the ECV off directly to the customer, so no need to change their procedure (or pay), and they can instruct the renter face to face on operating, assembly, etc; Scooterama because they were willing to remove the arms - which I don't and forget to flip down - before dropping off.

While I haven't used them, with a presence right on-site and extensive hours, it would seem Buena Vista Scooter would be the best of the Featured providers.

Expect the battery to last all day with a full overnight charge. Turn it off when not moving for even a few minutes. Take the key with you when leaving the ECV anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter