Questions about Palo the Platinum gift

Rebecca Pocahontas

Mouseketeer
I have a few questions about the Palo dinner that is part of the Castaway Club Platinum level gift.

- Do I have to book the dinner before the cruise as if I was just paying for it? And then they won't charge me?
- How do tips work? Am I already automatically charged? How much do you usually tip (per guest)?
- I've read that everyone in the stateroom (over 18) no matter their CC level is included in the free dinner, is that right?

- I also read that they recently changed the Palo dinner? What was it like before?

I have a few questions about the Palo dinner that is part of the Castaway Club Platinum level gift.

- Do I have to book the dinner before the cruise as if I was just paying for it? And then they won't charge me?
- How do tips work? Am I already automatically charged? How much do you usually tip (per guest)?
- I've read that everyone in the stateroom (over 18) no matter their CC level is included in the free dinner, is that right?

- I also read that they recently changed the Palo dinner? What was it like before?
You can book it pre-cruise, or wait until onboard. It may show a charge if you do it early, but it will be dropped/charged back once onboard.

The upcharge (in theory) includes the gratuity. But it's not very much. We typically tip extra, based on the food/experience, so it varies how much.

Yes, everyone in the same room that has the Palo perk, 18 and over, is included.

I'll also point out, you can do the brunch, if you prefer. Although the information does say "dinner", brunch could be the comped meal.

Before the changes, you could order as much food as you wanted to from the dinner menu. Now, you choose one option for each course. You can order outside that set, but then you pay for each item separately. If you do that, then I think your platinum perk will cover the first $45.

You can book it pre-cruise, or wait until onboard. It may show a charge if you do it early, but it will be dropped/charged back once onboard.

The upcharge (in theory) includes the gratuity. But it's not very much. We typically tip extra, based on the food/experience, so it varies how much.

Yes, everyone in the same room that has the Palo perk, 18 and over, is included.

I'll also point out, you can do the brunch, if you prefer. Although the information does say "dinner", brunch could be the comped meal.

I’m interested in switching the brunch instead of dinner. How do you get it comped? Thanks!

We did both the last cruise. Brunch first then dinner. We ate way tooooo much food At brunch. We did the platinum gift for brunch and paid for the dinner.

Before the changes, you could order as much food as you wanted to from the dinner menu. Now, you choose one option for each course. You can order outside that set, but then you pay for each item separately. If you do that, then I think your platinum perk will cover the first $45.
That is true. My husband ordered off the pre-fixe menu and I ordered ala carte. We basically got a $90 credit on the bill and paid for the rest. It was so worth it!

We were just in palo last night with 4 of us qualified for platinum. The 4 course dinner, with a few options, is included for $45 a person. And we ordered the antipasto tray for $22. In hindsight it was so much food. I could have ordered just the antipasto tray and an entree and maybe dessert although I could have had just a couple bites from someone else and still only spent $45. We also got a mushroom amuse bouche before dinner and the small glass of liqueur after. It is still a good bargain even if choices are more limited. My husband had the salmon and was raving about it and he’s not a foodie at all. We always tip about 20 to 25 per person.

I have stated my feelings on this in similar threads. We have been Platinum level for quite a few years and getting our meals comped is the only reason we do Palos now and pre Platinum level (the whole idea of cruising used to be that it was all inclusive except alcohol). The brunch pre covid was good with the buffet portion but in my opinion is not worth the $45 pp without. The dinners are definitely not worth it with the prefix menus. It is time for DCL to go back to the to the pre covid Palo formula that made the restaurant worth the price for those who don't mind paying an extra cost.. What Shmoo says is correct on your other questions. As far as tipping goes I usually will add an extra $20-$30 on top of the prepaid tips they get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter