Questions about packing breakfast food for trip

mrsbornkuntry

<font color=FF6666>I'm worried about raccoons<br><
We're planning on eating breakfast in our room on our trip. I was thinking about taking some eggo waffles, will it hurt them to thaw? We have about a 9 hour drive and I'll have them in the cooler for that, then I don't know if we'll have a freezer in our fridge (or a big enough one), we're in CBR.

Another question, I read a tip somewhere to bake muffins and freeze them to take. Has anyone done that? Do the muffins get mushy or anything? How do you thaw them, just take a couple out the night before?

I have a child that doesn't like cereal so I'm trying to come up with some alternatives so I don't end up buying him breakfast. No flames, I will admit I plan on bringing a small 2 slice toaster with me :duck:.

The waffles would be fine for a day or so, but might be a little yucky after that if you can't keep them frozen. If you have one of those nice 9-day type coolers, frozen food will stay solid for a couple of days in it if it's well packed. We just drove 16 hours yesterday and the frozen things were solid as a rock when we arrived.

Sheila

To answer your other question...the fridges at disney do not have freezers in them. We stick with cereal (get milk and fresh fruit from the resort to go with it) or cereal bars.

I bake and freeze muffins all the time and they are fine , but most would be fine to just bake right before the trip and leave at room temp for several days. Make them really healthy by adding rasins and nuts etc.

What about bagles to toast and add peanut butter for a little protien.
Ceral bars?
Rasin bread toasted?
Sandwiches?

I do not think i would try the waffle thing.

Are you on the dinning plan?? We found that we had plenty of credits and food to stretch to include breakfast so a few breakfasts for your son might be an option.

We're not doing the dining plan, it works out cheaper if we don't. And I have to eat as soon as I wake up in the morning, before I dress or anything or I get nauseous so I like to have food in the room.

Bagels are a great idea, peanut butter sandwiches would work too since I have one kid that would live on them if I let him. I don't know why I was thinking I would need to freeze the muffins :confused3, I guess that's just what the article said so I went with it :rotfl2:.

Thanks for all of the ideas, I'm working on my grocery list.

i don't know if i'd bother with waffles...we take a cooler every trip, and take a gallon of milk, natural pb (needs to stay cold), apples (i usually eat 1/2 apple with 2 tbsp pb), bread (for pb toast), nutri grain bars and blueberry muffins. everyone has a variety to choose from and DH dumps water from the cooler & refills ice each morning-nothing's gone bad on us yet.

We usually eat breakfast in the room. I take a variety of snack items for breakfast. Pop tarts - not very heathly but your on vacation, cereal bars we really like the Quaker breakfast cookies, Oatmeal raisin or the Berry Special K bars, We bring OJ and some other jucie. Bagels and cream cheese. Apples and PB is a must.

We also bring cheese and crackers, chips and dip, Lunch meat to roll with sliced cheese, great snack at night we have even had it for breakfast. I have made spinach dip or seafood salad to bring the night before. We have taken it to the pool with us. Someone always asks where did you get that, It looks really great. We take a large cooler for the room and a pop-up one to go to the pool. We save money this way. :flower3:

I would not bother with a toaster and waffles. We brought some granola bars, pop tarts and entenmanns donuts. I figure we are on vacation so we eat what we want!!

In the past we have taken oatmeal packets, pop tarts and cereal. However, we stayed on site and found that we could eat pretty cheap for breakfast. POFQ has a good breakfast. I found that my kids was not that interested in a normal breakfast so they could eat cheap and I ordered a kids breakfast for 2 kids. We ate for under $10 each day for breakfast.

I'm thinking I'm going to bring some powdered milk this time. Alot of kids won't drink it, but mine do. It's shelf stable and I can just mix up what we need with some ice water, strain the ice and they can have some cereal for breakfast. If it's super-cold it tastes ok. Something to think about, depending on how picky your kids are!:rotfl:

I don't know if you have Kroger grocery stores where you live, but I just found the most wonderful thing at our Kroger. Waffle's in cello packages that are not frozen or refrigerated. There are 6 to a package. The instructions are for toaster, microwave, or reg. oven. They are really good.:cool1: I'm taking these on our trip in Sept. The one's I have now have an exp. date in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter