Question Re: O'Hana's and is there a better place for us?

pat fan

Sad my tag won't fit :(
We are having a family get-together this summer (ages 70-13) and I am trying to think of a place for us all to have a big special family meal together. BTW, there will be 12 of us.

We will be celebrating my DS's HS graduation and my DN's 16th b-day. This can not be a character meal as she (DN) is afraid of them :confused: I came up with O'Hana's but have never eaten there myself. Now I hear they play games during dinner....What's this about?

We (my family) have been to WDW 3X's but it's the first trip for the extended family and I have been put in charge of the whole shabang. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I think 'Ohana is a great idea. The games are for younger kids and voluntary. No pressure to participate. I loved the food and atmosphere. The Kona Cafe may be another option however.

Terri

:cloud9:

Ohana's is our favorite restaurant with LTT a close second. I agree that Ohanas would be great for a large family. If you can, plan your ADR for about 30m. before Wishes. And try to get a window seat..they will pipe in the music and you can see the fireworks. That's the best part! :goodvibes

Ohana's is a fav. for us too. We did this during a family gathering trip this past August. There were only seven of us but it was fun and lots of different food choices even though it is served basically family style. The kids had fun with the games. Request a table in the main dining room.

Have fun!

Request a table in the main dining room.
Any particular reason? What is the differance between the main dining room and some other area? (I have no idea of the layout of this restaurant)

If you can, plan your ADR for about 30m. before Wishes.
I think we might be doing this the first night of our trip and some of the people won't be doing parks that day. Won't it sort of ruin Wishes to "sort of" see it before they actualy get to see it? I was thinking of dinner fairly early and then the ones of us who are doing parks would go and see the parade/Wishes while the others went back to the hotel.

Check the menu for 'Ohana and make sure it is something everyone will eat. It is VERY heavy on the meat (often referred to as carnivore night).

Kona Cafe, right next door, has a lovely menu and is one of our absolutely favorite meals on property. (Yummy mahi mahi)

Have fun planning!

Although I prefer Kona Cafe when we make it to the Polynesian, I think 'Ohana (no Irish food served there ;) ) is a better choice for a large group like yours.

It is VERY heavy on the meat (often referred to as carnivore night).
It is family style though, right? If we wanted more salad we could ask for it, correct? That has been the case with us at Garden Grill which is family style....is it the same?

The menu sounds fine to everyone (haven't looked at Kona Cafe), the difficulty is finding the right atmosphere. I would rather do something like a character meal but that is out :rolleyes: How can a 16 yr. old be afraid of Pooh? Oh well.....

Any particular reason? What is the differance between the main dining room and some other area? (I have no idea of the layout of this restaurant)

Sorry I forgot to come back and check this post. Just the main part of the dining room because otherwise you can be seated in an area that is off behind the cooking area that obstructs your view of where the "show portion" of dinner takes place. When the entertainer calls the children and others up to participate in the hula, coconut races, etc. Still not a bad seat just would require you to get up for pictures, to participate, or to simply observe or supervise. We have sat both areas and preferred the main dining area. We put the request in at making reservations once and at check in and had it honored and then the next time only at the time of reservation and not at check in and did not have it honored.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter