Question re: boot camp graduation

tc

<font color=blue>Miracles are amazing!<br><font co
My son-in-law will graduate on May 5. I read about Family Day (May 4) on the website, but it lists only spouses, parents and grandparents as being able to visit the graduate. It does not include in-laws or children. My question is this, will my husband and I be able to visit with Chris? Will he be able to see his 6 month old baby? I just need to prepare Kimmi (my daughter) on what to expect. Thanks for any input!

I think that there can only be so many people per graduating solider. If you don't think that Chris's whole family would be there, then I would say yes go ahead in their place. As for the new baby, I worry about all the noise with the band and the gun salute and whatever else they may have. I think that's at parent's discretion. Chris should find out more the closer time comes and let you all know. I would think that it wouldn't be a problem for you all to visit on Family Day but there might not be enough seats on graduation day. Good luck.

What branch of service is he in? I can find out about the army side for you-

I asked my dh. He is a bc of an army training unit. He can't speak for every post or service, but his allows anyone to come. He suggested looking on the website and call the unit directly about family day. He also sends out letters directly to the families detailing the graduation activities as it gets closer to the big day. His next group graduates in early June, their letters will go out in the next few weeks.

Hope this helps!

My brother graduated from Marine boot camp last September and there was no limit on how many or who could come to the ceremonies both on Family Day and Graduation day.

When my nephew graduated from Army Basic Training, there was no limit on who could come. We did need to let them know ahead of time that we were coming. The post website should have information on the upcoming graduations.

Thanks for all the input. He's in the Army. I read the website (that's where I got the graduation date), and that's where I read only adult children, parents, grandparents and spouses. As far as I know, only his uncle will be attending from his family (and maybe his mom, but you can never count on her). Getting a letter would be nice, just so we know. I am more concerned with who can attend on family day. He would really be crushed if he couldn't hold Ireland; it will have been over two months since he's seen her.

It's so frustrating because he can't call, and he hasn't said anything about graduation in his letters (he just talks about things like he went into shock the other day during an obstacle course, and stopped breathing. But, no worries, he still finished in the top ten. That freaked Kimmi and me out, but Steve said not to worry, the Army knows what their doing.)

Kimmi was able to get her DEERS in order and get her ID, so she was happy. Now she can take Ireland to the doctor for her 4 month shots.

This military thing is so different than regular life. We are all learning. Thanks again for all your input. I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions.

Trust me, call the unit directly. There should be a contact number on the website. My husband takes phone calls from wives and mothers of recruits all the time. They will answer all of your questions.

Great, I'll have Kimmi call. It will be so much easier to know the details when we make airplane reservations.

tc,

Always a good idea to call, but, I have never seen regulations so strict, where in-laws, children, other family members were not permitted to attend Army graduations, promotions, Family Day, etc.

Our family has attended most of the Army events for our son the past 13 yrs. and never had a problem with any of our relatives, including his sisters, BIL's, etc. attending.

Your SIL is in my prayers for a most successful boot camp. He will probably mention more of the ceremony as he completes his tasks successfully and gets nearer to graduation. I know how proud you all must be of him. Best wishes to your daughter and Ireland. Her picture is just adorable! :goodvibes

Thanks 4nana. It's really hard not hearing from him. :sad1: He does write, but the letters are short, and few and far between. His last letter he told us how he went into shock on an obstacle course and he stopped breathing. :scared: But, he assured us everything worked out fine because he went on and finished in the top ten. He has his priorities, lol. :rolleyes2 He also told Kimmi that he gets 35 push ups for every letter he gets. We learned that after Kimmi put three letters in the mail in one day (she was sending pictures of Ireland). I wonder what he gets for pictures? :earseek:

I just graduated from AF BMT 25 Feb 05, anyone is allowed to come to the graduation. I can't see it being any different for other services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter