Question for those who have visited New York

Stitch's Greatest Fa

DIS Veteran
Hi, we are going to Florida this summer with a four day stay in NYC. We will be flying into JFK and are staying not far from Times Square. Has anyone used any reliable, reputable taxi or car hire companies to get them to and from the airport we will have four large cases, four flight bags plus two kids (8 and 5) in two so using the airport train doesn't seem practical to us. Thanks in advance.

I used the goairlink shuttle about 5 years ago and didn't have any major issues with them, they do fully fill the buses so it's a cosy ride but when I uses them they were on time and got me from a to b. Saying that I have seen bad reviews for both that Company and the one that stops at Penn station (the names slipped my mind).
I think a taxi is about $50 from jfk to manhattan but be aware that you will also have to pay tolls on top of this which Comes to around $10.
Dh and I went to NYC in Feb and we opted for the airtrain and then LIRR to Penn station and walked the 8 or so blocks to our hotel on 42nd Street. This was a great (and cheap!!) option for us as we only had 1 large suitcase each and we're both pretty fit so lugging those uptown wasn't too much of a problem but I appreciate this may be a tricky option for you with children and a lot of baggage. The other thing to consider may be getting airtrain and LIRR then getting a taxi uptown from Penn station to your hotel?

I used Dial 7 when i went with my wife, and a set fee taxi last year with the boys. A dedicated desk at the exit with an attendant will give you a slip with the amount you have to pay BEFORE you get in the car. Very well organised and you dont get charged any more than is on the payslip. On the way back, your concierge will offer you a car with a set fee again. Brilliant

We used the rank outside the terminal a few years back, as said its a set price.
I was part of a group on FB last year who were discussing transport after our Transatlantic cruise into NYC, we used a private company called by the hotel, others were paying quite high prices for pre booking.

I think a taxi is about $50 from jfk to manhattan but be aware that you will also have to pay tolls on top of this which Comes to around $10.

Hello, American here that stumbled into this thread from New Posts.

Taxi service from Manhattan (which is the borough that Times Square is located) to JFK airport (or JFK to Manhattan) is a flat rate of $52 one way. There are some additions to that fee. If you are traveling between 4pm and 8pm, there's a $4.50 peak rate surcharge. You're also responsible for any tolls that the taxi driver has to pay (taxi pays the tolls, you pay him back). You also should tip the driver 15% of the fare, so about $8.

Here is information about transportation at JFK airport: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-taxi-car-van-service.html

My Wife her Mum and Sister all got in an Uber to do this trip. With a 4th person I'd suggest an Uber XL. Will always be the cheapest option.

I'm assuming your NYC portion is the beginning or end of the trip, else you'd be leaving some luggage in Florida?!

We used the Taxi Rank outside of the airport as it's really well managed and also it's a set price (tip is not included). Going back to the airport, we let our hotel arrange it for us. Was around the same set price we paid to get to the hotel in the first place.

we did a taxi from the airport to our hotel in midtown..
to get back to the airport, we used dial 7....very good reliable service (and the driver was so much better than the taxi driver!!!)

Uber XL is what we usually do with that much luggage and people.

Just taxis. The taxis here are safe. There is a stand to go to in order to get picked up and they will make sure you are in one big enough for your party and stuff.

As a local most car services are over priced and it is hit or miss. Dial 7 and carmel use to be great but stopped using both after we got several personal mini-vans when we paid for an SUV. It wasn't the car we were pissed about but the fact we paid the upcharge for an SUV "black car" and they send a guy with his family minivan with seats still covered in cereal which is not the experience you expect when you pay that much to get to the airport.

There is also the LIRR (with airtran) if everyone is capable of rolling their luggage. It drops you off at Penn Station.

Some hotels also off shuttles so call your hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter