Question for those camping in tents

myjourney

DIS Veteran
What do you do when the weather is bad? Do you have to dismantle and put all your gear back in the car when there is a tornado warning or high winds?

Unless the wind blows down the tent (which happened once in the Keys with the tail end of Hurricane Frederick), we stick it out. When the tent blew over, we left everything in place and spent the rest of the night in the car, then packed up when daylight came.

When in doubt, get the heck out.

As a child I rode out a tornado in a tent. I would not recommend it as I frequently told my parents that evening. Since then my husband and I have decided that lightening moves us either to the bathrooms or the car. And our family fits perfect in out car, it just gets stuffy.

One time we've camped with a thunderstorm warning in the area, we took the poles out of the tent, and laid our bikes on top. We didn't want our tent shredded by the wind. We went somewhere drier for the day. Another time we camped in a breezy place, probably about 10-15 miles/hr, and the tent is still stretched out at the seams, and we made sure to orient the tent with the wind. One neighbor didn't stake their tent and it was flying all over the place, and another had parts collapsing from the wind pressure due to the design of the tent. Anything above 20mph we'd at least drop the tent poles.

Tornadoes can destroy people's houses, much less some flimsy fabric tent. I wouldn't even ride out a tornado in an RV. Have you seen the aftermath of tornadoes?!

This brings to mind something... if a storm is coming, you can take down the tent and seek shelter. Has anyone ever heard of problems with people taking their stuff while in the parks? Our tent is easy up (and down) and someone could be off with it in 5 minutes! I just wondered because some other recent threads spoke of "outsiders" coming through a bit more these days. Not only would I want my tent shreaded by a storm, but disappearing would be bad too!

Our riding out the tornado was not by plan. Just one of those terrible afternoon thunderstorms that ended up tearing the place apart. This was mid 70's so not as weather savy as we are now. I sat in the corner and cried as my parents and brothers held the tent against the wind. We stayed in a hotel that night (my first time) because everything all of us had was soaked.

Wow i didnt even realize wdw allows tent camping. Thought it was restricted to rvs.

Wow i didnt even realize wdw allows tent camping. Thought it was restricted to rvs.

Tents, RV's of all kinds are allowed at the Fort. I've spent many a night in a tent at the Fort and seen all sizes of tents from one man bivvy sacs to multi-room mansion tents. If it will fit on the site you can put a tent up.

This brings to mind something... if a storm is coming, you can take down the tent and seek shelter. Has anyone ever heard of problems with people taking their stuff while in the parks? Our tent is easy up (and down) and someone could be off with it in 5 minutes! I just wondered because some other recent threads spoke of "outsiders" coming through a bit more these days. Not only would I want my tent shreaded by a storm, but disappearing would be bad too!

Actually don't know how *outsiders* or those not registered at a site would be able to drive in. We are always stopped before the outpost, given our names for our ressie, checked off a list, then allowed to proceed in.

People do come in by bus or boat, but would be hard to make off with anyone's large supplies that way.

What do you do when the weather is bad? Do you have to dismantle and put all your gear back in the car when there is a tornado warning or high winds?

I have tent camp for almost 20 years. 12 of those years, served as a Boy Scout, Girl Scout, Venture Crew leader. For most of the years we tent camped 3 times a month! :scared:

Before departure we always check the weather at the location we plan to camp, to avoid hurricanes or severe thunderstorms and just find another location if need be. However, the tents we buy and use have a wind rating of almost 30 mph winds... 3 or 4 season rated...4 meaning Mount Everast winds. We also use the guide lines to help stable the tents. A ground cloth that is tuck under the tent...make sure it does not expand pass the tent floor/base. Along with another tarp inside the tent. All our tents the seams have been seamed sealed. Plus, our tent always comes with a complete rain fly and not what i call umbrella fly...full fly cover protects the tent vs only partial rain fly and it also protects against those wind and heavy rain storms. Always bring rain gear to wear along with a pocket size emergency weather radio.

We have been in many windy/rainy down pour and we were all still nice and dry inside our tent...whether we are back packing or camping with sleeping cots. Plus, we teach our scouts to never touch the sides of the tent...the natural oils on our hands will dissolve the weatherproofing overtime on the tent walls and the tent will soak in that spot.

Keeping track of bad weather will give you advance warning in time if you have to pack up and seek shelter or not. Our family and scouts have had many fun adventures camping in the rain and after storms...as long as they were taught safety in what to do in each weather situations and how to be prepared for it.

Enjoy your tent camping and especially camping at the Fort! Our scouts loved the Fort and considered it luxury camping there.:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter