• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for South Africa veteran

spyhill

Earning My Ears
Hello, we just booked this trip for 4, at a cost of about $20k not including airfare or extras. We were hoping for the no-longer-in-existence Signature version, which had better hotels and, more important, a nicer safari lodge along with other extras. Here's the question: $20K seems like a scary amount right now for less-than-top-notch accommodations. Is it worth it?

The trip to South Africa was fabulous. You can check out my trip report on the very first thread. We did the non signature trip. 2 hotels are the same. The first hotel, the southern sun, was very nice. Not the Cape Grace, but very nice. The safari lodge was sooooo beautiful, it's hard to imagine the other part of the lodge that the signature stayed in being any better. The signature trip also had a trip to an elephant sanctuary. Would have been nice. We had such an amazing time. It was well worth it. South Africa was our 4th ABD. Each one was better than the last. We have traveled with other companies (not with kids) and alone. There are 5 of us so you can image the cost for us!!!!! We flew South African Air and I would highly recommend them. Watch the pricing. At least last year, we booked our flights in sept and then the price went way down in the spring. No one knows how the pricing will go, but we were not able to get the lower fare. (cancellation and rebooking fees and all that). HAVE A GREAT TIME

That's very helpful and reassuring, thanks. And of course, the signature version was even more than the already high regular version. Some of the things in the signature version (massage) could easily be booked independently. Incidentally, airfare right now to SA this summer is quite high, even after the World Cup.

We did the trip with abbjt - also 5 people. It was an amazing trip - expensive, yes. But, totally worth it. We love to travel. This was the way to do South Africa. We went to several different areas. The meals and accommodations were always nice. We had a great time. I agree with Abby about Kapama. I know there is a "nicer lodge" - I just don't know what could be nicer. The rooms were beautiful. We stood in the room one day and watched the giraffes off of the balcony. It was awesome!!

I read some not so positive reviews on tripadvisor about the second hotel (Protea King George). What did you think about it?

The King George was fine. It was a typical hotel room, nothing special, but nice and clean and quite large rooms. You had to walk outside to the building we were all in and then back to the main building for breakfast. The other hotels were nicer, but there was nothing wrong with the King George at all. I think they even gave us a bunch of little thank you gifts that Disney had not arranged.

The King George was fine. It was a typical hotel room, nothing special, but nice and clean and quite large rooms. You had to walk outside to the building we were all in and then back to the main building for breakfast. The other hotels were nicer, but there was nothing wrong with the King George at all. I think they even gave us a bunch of little thank you gifts that Disney had not arranged.

Good to know! I was a little worried after reading the reviews! Thanks!

Hi there! We just go back from our South Africa trip. It was amazing!!!!!

All of the hotels were fine! We travel extensively and all of the rooms were up to our standards.

Southern Sun in Cape Town was nice.

Protea at George had beautiful cathedral ceilings!!!

The Protean Knysna hotel is beautiful.

Like the others have said the Kapama lodge rooms were the best!!!

Have a great time!!!

Thanks for the info! Let us know if you write a trip report.

Spyhill,

My DH now has all of our photos loaded on our photo site.

Go to weluvdisney.smugmug.com. Click on the travel title. John has all of the pics split up by day for the South Africa trip so it will be easier to navigate that way. He did take photos of each hotel room.

If you wait a week or two John will have most of the pictures captioned by then. That way you can search by hotel and not have to look through all of the photos.

Hope this helps!
Renee

Thanks for the info! Let us know if you write a trip report.

Please view my blog at foreveraprincessrenee.blogspot.com.

Please note that they are spoilers on the blog about the Disney surprises.

It will take me a few more weeks to get all of the days blogged.

Enjoy!!!
Renee

Read all of your blog and looked at 4 days of the photos.

JUST WOW!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter