Question for all Poly lovers who have actually stayed in Hawaii

peyjax

DIS Veteran
I am very curious to those of you who have actually been to Hawaii, if you feel like your missing something when staying at the Poly (because you are not actually in Hawaii). I have visited the poly for dinner once and mentioned to my husband about staying there. He told me no, he would rather stay somewhere else and keep that hawaiian feeling for hawaii. Also he mentioned he would only want to pay those kind of hotel rates in hawaii LOL:lmao: TO me it seems like a lovely resort, i was just curious as to what those of you thought who have been to both.

well lets see does hawaii have a view of a Disney Castle or do they really have long houses maybe some of the the plants are alike.
Anywat Hawaii is Hawaii and the Poly is the Poly and I love the Poly it is a nice relaxing Hawaii themed resort but if you intend on satying at the Poly and fell like to feel like you are in Hawaii you are better saving your $$$ But if you like a relaxing well thought out resort that is very close to MK and very easy to get to EPCOT then the Poly is for you
oh and the coffee is great as it is real Hawain coffee :lmao: or Kona coffee and this is the only place on Disney property that has it and that was enough for me to tip the scale

Been to Hawaii (Maui and Kauai) and stayed at the Poly. We actually stayed at the Poly before we went to Hawaii.

As the previous poster said, Hawaii is Hawaii. To me there is no other place like it!

That being said, the Poly is as close to Hawaii as you are going to get and still be in Disney. Sort of like the best of both worlds. It has a nice Hawaiian theme. We could only afford to stay at the Poly once but to me it is the best resort. If only we could stay there everytime!

Hawaii is Hawaii and the Poly is the Poly; the Poly can't quite compare to the real thing, but it doesn't have to. It's Hawaiian themed and Disney's done a great job with it. I don't feel that I'm back in Hawaii (I've been twice) when I'm at the Poly, I'm at a place that is sort of a salute to Hawaii (and to the whole Polynesian culture, which is more than Hawaii). The Poly makes me smile, that's all I care about. :goodvibes

We have been to both.

We have been to Hawaii 5 times.

I think the Polynesian reminds me of Hawaii and that is why it is our favorite hotel at WDW.

We went to Hawaii first and then wanted to stay at the Polynesian.

I do think the flowers, smells, tropical foliage, tiki torches, hawaaian music, aloha greetings, lei's, theme, bar drinks....all remind us of Hawaii.

We were just at the Polynesian last week and sitting on my balcony looking out at the swaying palms and hearing the Hawaiian music coming from the pool...yes I felt like I was in Hawaii...until I looked the other way and saw the MK castle. :rotfl:

For us...yes it will remind you of Hawaii...but if you have never been to Hawaii...I can't say its the same. at all.

I have stayed in Hawaii at the Poly both before and after a trip to the real Hawaii. I acuatlly said there were things in Hawaii that reminded me of the Poly more so the other way around. I like Hawaii but I am a way more Disney/Florida person and when we left Hawaii I said that the things I liked there were similar to the things I like in FL. If it makes a difference I am not a huge ocean/sand person so it was more like weather, foilage, shopping that I liked in Hawaii.

Liz

Eh, I think it is like trying to compare apples to glass slippers.

When we goto Hawaii we do the vacation in two parts... a stay in Waikiki, very touristy, for a few days... and a stay in what I call the back country, on the beach at north shore, or a beach villa at the Grand Wailea... some place out of the way on the water.

At WDW we are there for the parks more then going to the resorts... Poly is a very Disney version of Hawaii (pun intended) as there is no way to recreate the waves at the beach, salt water, trade winds, etc. in Florida.

Oh and it never gets as hot as it gets in Florida in HI.

I am very curious to those of you who have actually been to Hawaii, if you feel like your missing something when staying at the Poly (because you are not actually in Hawaii).
The PR resort is not themed on Hawaiian culture but the Polynesian cultural region of the Pacific. A Disney resort will never be a Hawaiian or Polynesian Resort with an ocean view, tropical forest, tropical-fresh fruit, waterfalls, fresh seafood, snorkeling, etc.

I have visited the poly for dinner once and mentioned to my husband about staying there. He told me no, he would rather stay somewhere else and keep that hawaiian feeling for hawaii.
Sounds more of a defense response but you may take him up on the Hawaiian feeling...

Also he mentioned he would only want to pay those kind of hotel rates in hawaii LOL:lmao:
I would skip WDW this year and take him up on your Hawaiian Vacation:thumbsup2

...there is no way to recreate the waves at the beach...
They tried...if you look at the little island across from the PR you might be able to see the old inactive wave machine (it is still there) that was operational during the first few years of the PR when people could actually enter and play in the lake water...before the common Florida lake bacteria took root in the man-made lake.

They tried...if you look at the little island across from the PR you might be able to see the old inactive wave machine (it is still there) that was operational during the first few years of the PR when people could actually enter and play in the lake water...before the common Florida lake bacteria took root in the man-made lake.

Oh I remember, and you could almost surf the waves. I was too little to surf but do recall watching... still, if you have been to north shore, HI waves are a fairly one of a kind thing.

I would think if you enjoy visiting the islands, staying at the Poly would be the best of both worlds. You have a recreation of Hawaii and MK :yay: ! Not to mention a stay in one of Disney's finest deluxe resorts, I don't think it gets much better than that.
And who knows, after staying at the Poly your DH might decide that it's time for a trip back to Hawaii ;) .

The PR resort is not themed on Hawaiian culture but the Polynesian cultural region of the Pacific.

This comment in my opinion has it absolutely on the nail. I've not stayed at PR but I have wandered around the resort and used the pool (we are DVC before I get flamed :) ). The resort reflects certain elements of polynesian culture and arts but is nothing like any of the polynesian countries I've been to (Hawaii, Tonga and Fiji).

Its like saying its not worth going to Africa if you have been to the AKL... the lodge has elements of various african cultures and countries but it is no specific place.

Paula
New Zealand (aka Aotearoa)

The PR resort is not themed on Hawaiian culture but the Polynesian cultural region of the Pacific. A Disney resort will never be a Hawaiian or Polynesian Resort with an ocean view, tropical forest, tropical-fresh fruit, waterfalls, fresh seafood, snorkeling, etc.

Sounds more of a defense response but you may take him up on the Hawaiian feeling...

I would skip WDW this year and take him up on your Hawaiian Vacation:thumbsup2

Fortunatly we are going to Disney this year and going to Hawaii next year! We have been to hawaii before and it absolutly our favorite. That is kind of why i was wondering what it was like. I know that it can not be an exact comparison, but just wondering what the feel was like. I did some research on tiki ? where the guy has all the info on the poly. I found that there was a resort in maui that they used to recreate the poly after. I looked it up on expedia. It is nice, seems to go with that more traditional hawaiian feel, instead of the high rise luxurious feel. I think my husband prefered the fancy side of hawaii. I liked the traditional side and that is why poly peeked my interest. I do realize that staying at the AKL is not like staying in actual Africa. But I am sure those who are from Africa or have been, tend to compare it to see if it does truly recreate that feel. That is why i guess i was posing the question, just to see how it was and how it made you feel when you stay there.(poly):)

Do you want a real answer or are you just trying to be funny?:rolleyes1

Yes, why wouldn't I want a real answer. To me it seemed like a legitimate question.
I am kind of new to the dis boards, so by no means am i ready to start a debate thread or one to show how witty I am. :laughing: I am excited to get real answers to questions that i have always had about disney and get real inside scoops on how to make my vaca even better! Since I joined the boards i have seen mostly debates on smoking, tipping, the ddp, and many other things that turn into mud slinging. I just get excited to see real info with real tips. Thats all! Sorry to rant on :)

I did not mean it like that. I really could not understand but now I do:hippie: . We love the Poly. My dh went to Hawaii in highschool and hated it so we will never go there. DD loves the Poly and we do too!

I did not mean it like that. I really could not understand but now I do:hippie: . We love the Poly. My dh went to Hawaii in highschool and hated it so we will never go there. DD loves the Poly and we do too!

Hated it? something odd must have happened then, cuase how can you not like the beach with warm, clear water... The mountains, and rainbows everyday.

Fortunatly we are going to Disney this year and going to Hawaii next year! We have been to hawaii before and it absolutly our favorite. That is kind of why i was wondering what it was like. I know that it can not be an exact comparison, but just wondering what the feel was like. I did some research on tiki ? where the guy has all the info on the poly. I found that there was a resort in maui that they used to recreate the poly after. I looked it up on expedia. It is nice, seems to go with that more traditional hawaiian feel, instead of the high rise luxurious feel. I think my husband prefered the fancy side of hawaii. I liked the traditional side and that is why poly peeked my interest.

A little OT here..but if you're looking to get out of the hustle and bustle of Waikiki while in Hawaii, you might want to take a look at staying at one of the Big Island resorts on the Kohala coast. The Four Seasons and the Hilton Waikaloa do a wonderful job of blending hawaiian culture with total luxury. We are locals and this is where we go for weekend getaways.

Have a magical vacation wherever you decide to stay while at WDW.

Aloha!

Also OT but on Kaui there are no tall buildings. It is the garden island and very beautiful. We stayed at a hotel called the Cocoa Palms that was very much like the Poly. (Long houses and all). It was destroyed during a hurricane but is being restored. It is where the wedding scene in Blue Hawaii was filmed. Also been to Maui and Oahu. There was a different feel on each island. 5 days on each island and I must say we enjoyed each one for different reasons. We did the Poly. Cultural Center and I agree with the poster that said that the Poly resort represents a culture more than a place.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, we are definatly considering Kuai. We have been to maui, but i really want to try something different. Not too interested in Waikiki, but love the idea of the natural feel of Kuai. I will definatly check out those hotels! I am very excited about Disney this fall, but you all are gettting me revved up for Hawaii in 08! I guess that is why i was curious about the poly. Thanks again!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter