Question: Do I Lose Fast Pass & Dining Ressies if I...

cchs82

Earning My Ears
..decide to change my reservation from a package (room plus tickets) to an annual pass holder reservation?

The CM told me on the phone that I will keep the dining reservations but I will have 24 hours to switch my current fast pass reservations from my package to my annual pass. She said that I will have to speak to the My Disney Experience Cast Members in order to do this. I will get a new confirmation number if I do this of course.

Any watch outs or words of caution here? I do not currently have an AP but am considering buying one since I will probably make another trip later this year in October.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

The CM is wrong - FPs aren't attached to a specific ticket, or to a specific reservation. But why do you want to switch to an annual passport now? Why not just wait until you get there?

The CM is wrong - FPs aren't attached to a specific ticket, or to a specific reservation. But why do you want to switch to an annual passport now? Why not just wait until you get there?
My balance is due by end of day today. Trip is March 14-18. If I switch to an AP later, I will have to pay a change fee of $50 per the CM.

Is there a benefit to buying the AP once I arrive vs now other than saving ~30 days on my AP start date?

Thanks.

My balance is due by end of day today. Trip is March 14-18. If I switch to an AP later, I will have to pay a change fee of $50 per the CM.

Is there a benefit to buying the AP once I arrive vs now other than saving ~30 days on my AP start date?

Thanks.

Is there any benefit to buying it now? And I'm pretty sure that the change fee only applies if you're downgrading.

Is there any benefit to buying it now? And I'm pretty sure that the change fee only applies if you're downgrading.
Just spoke with a different CM who told me that if I buy the room only now that it would be a downgrade and that I could incur a change fee. This CM said that I would keep my FP and dining reservations since they are tied in with my dates. Confusing!

Again, is there any reason you need to get the AP now?
I needed to get the AP now so I can take advantage of a reduced room-only rate for this trip. If I were to wait until I show up, then I would not get a room only discount.

Unfortunately, I was just told by a CM that I would indeed lose all of my fast pass reservations made to date. She checked with Central Reservations and they confirmed this.

I needed to get the AP now so I can take advantage of a reduced room-only rate for this trip. If I were to wait until I show up, then I would not get a room only discount.

Unfortunately, I was just told by a CM that I would indeed lose all of my fast pass reservations made to date. She checked with Central Reservations and they confirmed this.

You will not lose your FP reservations. I suggest you post your question in the All About Tickets sticky in the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies forum if you don't believe me, since the guy who started the thread knows a lot more about tickets than I do.

If you cancel the package with tickets BEFORE you purchase your annual pass and link new ticket media to each of the other guests in your travel party, you will be in danger of losing your FP+ selections because the ticket media will disappear with the package cancellation. The cancellation screen will also warn you of this before you check the box and submit.

Dining should not be an issue since you are well into your 180 day window.

Is the AP rate much better than your current package promo? Usually it saves 5-10% more at most. With the ticket increase effective today, the AP rate savings may be offset by the ticket price increase. Since your package was booked prior to the ticket increase, your current tickets are locked in at the old price.

ALSO since your dates are 3/14 - 3/18, you would also need to have another on-site room reservation linked to MDE prior to cancelling because that is more than 30 days out.

ALSO since your dates are 3/14 - 3/18, you would also need to have another on-site room reservation linked to MDE prior to cancelling because that is more than 30 days out.

No, it isn't. February only has 28 days, remember? ;)

No, it isn't. February only has 28 days, remember? ;)
I meant not ALL the dates within the trips range were 30 days out. Only 3/14 was at the 30th day. All subsequent were further and once a package was cancelled, would have been treated separately.

The FP+ system will only let a non-resort guest select FP+ through 3/15 as of today.

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 1.35.22 PM.png

As of yesterday, 3/15 - 3/18 would have been cancelled.

OP -- are you certain there is an AP discount rate available for your dates next month? I don't have an AP, but I do know that those discounts aren't guaranteed just because you have an AP, and are limited in how many for each resort and date. If you really want to take advantage of an AP discount, just be positively certain one is available now for your dates next month. It would be a shame to go through a lot of hassle only to find the discount you want is not available.

I would purchase the AP and make the room-only reservation before cancelling the package. That should ensure your FP+ stay intact. ADRs aren't a concern.

If there isn't an AP room discount available, you can keep the package and upgrade your current tickets to APs if you still want to do so once onsite. You would still be eligible for any dining and shopping discounts, etc.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your replies and for your help. Much appreciated.

After several hours on the phone, I was able to convert my Magic Your Way Package to a room-only with an AP for me and a park hopper for my DD. I was also able to keep my FP+ by buying the AP and park hopper by midnight of the same day that I cancelled my package. After midnight, the FP+ tickets would have been lost unless I had ticket purchases tied with them.

The MDE folks and the Ticket Service people helped guide the way. Thanks.

OP -- are you certain there is an AP discount rate available for your dates next month? I don't have an AP, but I do know that those discounts aren't guaranteed just because you have an AP, and are limited in how many for each resort and date. If you really want to take advantage of an AP discount, just be positively certain one is available now for your dates next month. It would be a shame to go through a lot of hassle only to find the discount you want is not available.

I would purchase the AP and make the room-only reservation before cancelling the package. That should ensure your FP+ stay intact. ADRs aren't a concern.

If there isn't an AP room discount available, you can keep the package and upgrade your current tickets to APs if you still want to do so once onsite. You would still be eligible for any dining and shopping discounts, etc.

Enjoy your vacation!
I was able to secure an AP room rate for a good deal! I'll be back in the fall. Between that and the AP discounts, it will be worth it.

You are correct, I had to have the AP and room only before I cancelled the package.

Thanks again for your tips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter