• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about Shuttle Launch

MomPOM

DIS Veteran
We have tickets to watch the 2/7 launch from the Visitor's Center. It is a 4:39am launch and on the placard that I received today it says that you have to be there no later than 11:30 pm.

My question is, will we be able to hang out in our car for some of that time or will we be milling about in the visitor center? I can't imagine being able to have my seven-year-old up all night and having to stand around for 5+ hours.

We've been to two space launches and we always arrived about 2-3 hours after our times entry time.

Yes you could hang out in your car for awhile, but you will want to make sure you get through security in plenty of time. You can take in the big comfy camp chairs to relax in once inside.

We're coming from Chicago so we won't be able to bring camp chairs with us. :(

Thanks for the info!! Arriving later might be a better option. It sounded from the forms that you HAD to be there by 11:30.

You should check on what they mean by the stated time. I know friends of mine arrived late and were denied entry (actually, they weren't even allowed onto the road that leads to KSC).

I have an email in to KSC. If I don't hear from them in the next day or so I'll definitely call.

Keep in mind too that the launch may not take off. We tried three times to see a launch when we were there in July 09. It was cancelled each time. I think it was due to weather, so you might make out better than we did. We didn't go to the KSC. We were staying in Vero beach and just drove to the beach to watch the launch (following updates on the lauch on our phones).

I've never seen a launch up close either. (only seen on tv) That is the day I am heading home so it will probably not happen. I may go there a few days before just to see the shuttle on the launch pad.

Anyone know how close you can get to it without paying for a tour? Just to see it on the launch pad and take a few pictures and then go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter