Question about Earl Of Sandwich

*Robin*

bibbity bobbity boo!
Hi everyone,

I've never had the chance to eat at Earl of Sandwich, but their combinations look amazing. I can duplicate the inside just fine here, but have no idea what the flat bread is like.

Does someone have a comparable recipe, or just a description of the bread?

I want to make them for Mothers day (along with Cheddar soup from LaCellier and flourless chocolate cake from Boma ) so any help would be SO appreciated.

Thanks!:flower3:
Robin

Hi Robin! I'm sorry to say that someone had asked for this recipe a while ago & the answer got about it was that they purchase their bread from Open Hearth Bakery. I thought I remembered something about it & I just checked. It's in the section on the "Request List" marked "Failed Requests".

“Failed” Requests
Aloha Isle: Dole Whip – purchased from Unified Enterprises
Earl of Sandwich: Bread 183:13 – purchased from Open Hearth Bakery
‘Ohana: Shrimp & Vegetable Wontons page 29:426 – purchases from Shenzhen Amoy Foods, China
Le Cellier: Steak & Noodle Stir-fry 187:13 – no longer served & only the soy glaze was found in their archives.

All Locations: Pretzel Bread – 2 substitutes were found; commercial product not available in US.)
Index is at: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1777635&referrerid=93883 (see post #5

:sad1: Sigh...

Thank you Deb!

I did find on another site that it's called ciabatta bread. I found a great recipe for it and may just try that. (At first I was going to use a recipe for Schlotzskys deli bread...but this ciabatta looks right)

I'll let you know how it works out...if anyone is interested.

I also decided to try to make the Grand Marnier slushies...:woohoo: (I may just keep those hidden until all the relatives go home Sunday!)

Thank you for linking me to the other thread too...I'll use that from now on...

:upsidedow

I have ciabatta bread available at several different bakery's around here. Not a chain one little Panera or Atlantic bread company but good old fashioned Italian delis around here carry ciabatta bread of differing qualities but you can tell by looking at it.

Hi MylittlePiglet (hehehehe, that just sounds funny!)

Does the Ciabatta look the same as the bread that's used at Earl of Sandwich?

I hope all this is worth the end product considering I've never had one of the sandwiches.

I've been going through recipes for a week trying to find things that can be made ahead, will taste good and are original. Crossing my fingers that this isn't a disaster in the making! :scared1:

Thanks!!

ciabatta is not the same as flatbread - flatbread is more like fogaccia but thinner. I'll see if I can find a recipe, but a thick pizza crust (or add extra yeast) shourld do the trick

Ciabatta Bread

This dough should be very sticky, do not add more flour.

For sponge
1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons warm water (105°‐115° F.)
1/3 cup room-temperature water
1 cup bread flour*

For bread
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons warm milk (105°‐115° F.)
2/3 cup room-temperature water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Make sponge:
In a small bowl stir together yeast and warm water and let stand 5 minutes, or until creamy. In a bowl stir together yeast mixture, room-temperature water, and flour and stir 4 minutes. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let sponge stand at cool room temperature at least 12 hours and up to 1 day.

Make bread:
In a small bowl stir together yeast and milk and let stand 5 minutes, or until creamy. In bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with dough hook blend together milk mixture, sponge, water, oil, and flour at low speed until flour is just moistened and beat dough at medium speed 3 minutes. Add salt and beat 4 minutes more. Scrape dough into an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. (Dough will be sticky and full of air bubbles.)

Have ready a rimless baking sheet and 2 well-floured 12- by 6-inch sheets parchment paper. Turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface and cut in half. Transfer each half to a parchment sheet and form into an irregular oval about 9 inches long. Dimple loaves with floured fingers and dust tops with flour. Cover loaves with a dampened kitchen towel. Let loaves rise at room temperature until almost doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

At least 45 minutes before baking ciabatta, put a baking stone or 4 to 6 unglazed "quarry" tiles arranged close together on oven rack in lowest position in oven and preheat oven to 425° F.

Transfer 1 loaf on its parchment to baking sheet with a long side of loaf parallel to far edge of baking sheet. Line up far edge of baking sheet with far edge of stone or tiles, and tilt baking sheet to slide loaf with parchment onto back half of stone or tiles. Transfer remaining loaf to front half of stone or tiles in a similar manner. Bake ciabatta loaves 20 minutes, or until pale golden. With a large spatula transfer loaves to a rack to cool.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/14976

I've bought ciabatta rolls (about 6 in square) at BJ's and they were very good, You can buy it in many grocery stores and bakeries.

Thank you guys so much!!

I found this recipe below for the bread machine but opted to make it with the kitchen-aide instead (because I didn't want to lug out the bread machine if I had to bake anyway)

It is a very wet recipe, but if you turn it out onto parchment it is just fine. I split it onto another parchement, and baked them right on it. Perfect!

It was DELICIOUS!

I'm going to make greeneyes version today, and add some sun dried tomatoes to the mix....I'll let you all know how it goes. Even if this is nothing like Earl of Sandwich, I'm sold. This will be a staple in our house forever. I see using it for buns as well. It's just yummy! (My 12yo was begging for more before dinner. That in itself sold me...)

An Easier Version that's very, very good...
Ciabatta Bread

Yields: 24 servings
"This is a bread machine version of the Italian classic which still bakes in your oven. Though not sour, this bread has the crisp crust and coarse crumb one expects from ciabatta."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon white sugar

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 1/4 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
DIRECTIONS:
1.Place ingredients into the pan of the bread machine in the order suggested by the
manufacturer. Select the Dough cycle, and Start.
2.Dough will be quite sticky and wet once cycle is completed, resist the temptation to add more flour. Place dough on a lightly floured board, cover with a large bowl, and let rest for 15 minutes.
3.Lightly flour or use parchment lined baking sheets. Divide into 2 pieces, and form each into a 3x14 inch oval. Place loaves on prepared sheets, dimple surface, and lightly flour. Cover, and let rise in a draft free place for approximately 45 minutes.
4Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
5.Dimple dough for a second time, and then place loaves in the oven, positioned on the middle rack. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. During baking, spritz loaves with water every 5 to 10 minutes for a crispier crust.

More tomorrow after it's done...:cheer2:
(I'm excited this might just work out fine!!)

I love baking bread! If you make some squares they are great for making panini , my kids cook them on the George Forman grill. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter