Question about drying herbs?

ILOVEPOOH1

Adore the hundred acre wood
My herb garden runneth over. Anyone have a clue how I can dry my herbs (basil, thyme, lemon basil, rosemary) for future use. I'd hate to think anything is going to waste away outside. Thanks in advance for your help!!

:wave2:

What I have done with mine is to cut them low on the stem, I wash them and then make sure they are totally dry. Then if you have a dry dark place in your house you can ties the stems in bundles and hang them upside down to dry ( this is mainly if you want to use them for decorative purposes). With the cooking herbs I strip off the leaves after they are washed and dried then put the leaves in a cardboard box with a lid and keep it in a dry place until they are totally crisp then put them in a container. With my basil, after washing I take 2 packed cups and process it in a food processor with about 1/8 c. of olive oil then freeze it in ziplock bags. When I want to make pesto all I do is defrost it, add 1 c. parmesan cheese, 2 -3 cloves garlic, 1/8 c. ground and toasted pine nuts, and about 1/2 -3/4 c. more olive oil.

I just realizd I got carrried away and this is more info than you asked for, but I'll leave it as is.

my mom washes and dries her herbs then lines a baking sheet with paper towels and spreads the herbs on it in a single layer, 24-48 hours later you have dried herbs. then you can either crumble them up or put them in a food processor to get them chopped up.

Thanks Twigs!! I was also wondering if I could oven dry some of them? On a low setting? I was thinking of making up batches of pesto and freezing, but your way sounds much better, that way I'm not freezing the nuts and cheese!!

Thanks to you too Wagamama, we must have been posting at the same time, so I didn't see your reply before!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter