Question about bringing food to Disney

BWhite1989

Earning My Ears
I know that food can be brought into the park, but is it worth the hassle? Its just DH and I going. I really want to save money on food purchases so I had three ideas..

1. Carry a soft sided cooler around with us all day in the parks (I have no idea how we'd manage rides)
2. Stash a cooler in the bottom of a stroller and park it when we go on rides
3. Keep a cooler PACKED with ice in the car and just go to the car to eat lunch

Any tips or other suggestions? Thanks in advance! The next time we're going is August 24th to MK (just the one day)

For two adults for one day, IMO a cooler would be too much hassle.
What I'd do is eat a good breakfast wherever you're staying, pack a small backpack with plenty of shelf stable snacks, and eat counter service for lunch and dinner. You can get ice water for free at any counter service place, so that will save plenty on drinks when you're thirsty.

They have lockers near the entrance. I'm not sure how big they are though. Or how much they are. That's what I would do. :)

1. Carry a soft sided cooler around with us all day in the parks (I have no idea how we'd manage rides) I have no problems with any bag on any ride. Even rock 'n rollercoaster. I sit it at my feet, put a foot through each strap and keep my feet on the floor.
2. Stash a cooler in the bottom of a stroller and park it when we go on rides Or just pick up a cheap $5 umbrella stroller, a rental would be too costly.
3. Keep a cooler PACKED with ice in the car and just go to the car to eat lunch Or rent a locker for the day, which isn't too bad. But it's only at the front of the park. So you'd have to trek back to get whatever you wanted.

My suggestion is to get a decent bookbag, and toss some snacks into it and maybe a couple bottles of water. Things like granola bars, nuts, cheese crackers, chips, whatever you want to munch on. I find the munchies happen most often when I'm standing in line (where there is no food). It's also good when buy small items and don't want to carry them. And smaller bags are more annoying to carry on rides. Anything large you purchase, just have it sent to the front of the park and pick it up on your way out (at least 2hrs prior to park closing). Lunch is just better if you buy something fresh in the park and not spend money on snacks. You'd probably spend more if you brought lunch and paid for snacks.

No problem . . .
. . . go to Expedition Everest
. . . hire a Sherpa to carry the backpack all day

I agree with bringing a backpack and carrying in small snack items. Much easier to grab and snack bag and munch while waiting for a show/ride.

IIRC the lockers are $7-9, depending on size. That would eat into your budget.
Also don't forget that at MK your car won't be easily accessible. If you were at another park it might be more feasible to go out to the car to eat your lunch, but at MK it would be quite a hassle.

I know that food can be brought into the park, but is it worth the hassle? Its just DH and I going. I really want to save money on food purchases so I had three ideas..

1. Carry a soft sided cooler around with us all day in the parks (I have no idea how we'd manage rides)
2. Stash a cooler in the bottom of a stroller and park it when we go on rides
3. Keep a cooler PACKED with ice in the car and just go to the car to eat lunch

Any tips or other suggestions? Thanks in advance! The next time we're going is August 24th to MK (just the one day)

Not in my opinion but I will pay a lot for convenience. ;) Just one day, how much are you going to eat? I would have a good breakfast and then budget for a small meal or snack. Personally the cost of the ice and the lunch you pack is not going to be all that much cheaper than a meal at Pecos bills

I bought at the Colombia outlet the Brewha backpack that has a cooler section in it. Reg $70 and at the outlet it was $15. When we went labor day (hot hot hot) we loaded it with rubbermaid chugs full of crystal light or Gatorade, snacks and our lunch. Then we would refill the chugs at CS restaurants and bring more crystal light or Gatorade sticks.

It is a little heavier than the typical backpack but so far we have used it on 3 WDW trips and 1 StoryLand trip!

I personally plan to bring a small stroller even after my kids don't need it, just so we can dump all our junk. I'm a big fan of DDP, but I won't waste snack credits on things like bottled water. And I want to be able to grab a granola bar or whatever instead of waiting in line when I need a quick bite. :)

Thanks everyone! You guys have been so helpful. I think we're going to go with the "eat breakfast before, eat a quick service lunch, and bring a few snacks along"

Thanks again!

IMO, coolers, lockers, eating out of car: all too much hassle!!

Stroller-you still have to pay to rent it or purchase from discount store.

My suggestion-a small backpack or one of those over the shoulder bags with individual packs, bars, and maybe bottled water. To concur with another poster, I've never had any problems with a small bp on rides.

Dont forget you can get water free from counter service restaurants. As others said, eat breakfast in your room, something light, then hit the CS early for lunch. Many locations serve large portions. Watch was others are bringing out on their trays, it's possible for you and DH to split. Or you may find that you eat so much that you don't want a snack.

We use a backpack and made ice packs with ziplock bags each day. It worked great. Kept everything cold. It was never a problem on the rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter