• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question About Atlanta Airport

PixieDustandEeyore

DIS Veteran
Hi there,
We are flying through Atlanta and we have a 55 minute connection time is that enough? We are able to do a different flight with 1 hr 50 minute layover but we really like the time we arive on the first. Do you think a 55 minute layover is enough time?
Thanks.

Depending on where your connecting gate is, it could be close. :)

I was a little worried myself last year. We had a 50 min layover and I was with my DM who is a slow moving elderly person but we made it OK. Atlanta is a big airport but layed out pretty well with a shuttle train between terminals. If you check out the map on the internet and know where you have to go ahead of time it helps. We walked rather slow and made it to the second gate just as they were about to start boarding. Also the two gates were, of course, almost at the ends of two different terminals so it's not like we got lucky with the placement either.

Of course, if you are a little late landing then all bets are off. We were right about on time with our flight.

It also depends on who is traveling, 2 healthy adults capable of walking fast or running if the distance between gates is a long way, as it may well be OR trying to juggle kids, strollers, elderly folks in w/c etc ! Peace of mind goes a long way to make your journey the best it can be, and you don't want to start out a trip on a miserable note by missing your connecting flight. You could land late, have a delay in getting off the plane, be several concourses away etc. There is a subway system that transports travelers to each concourse and moving walkways, that being said, there are also mechanical failures. I would suggest looking up a map of the airport online and see how vast it is and see what you think. Personally, I would take the later flight, that builds in some time for possible delays, allows you to have the time to get to the next gate without being in a frantic rush.

Guess I was typing slowly, Mr Pig posted just ahead of me and said about the same thing. In any event, have a great vacation:cool1:

2 adults, you should be fine if you can get seats close to the front of the plane.

Thank you all! We decided to do the flight with 1 hr and 50 minutes incase we don't land on time... Im good in airports (ive made a 30 minute layover before) but my Dfi is soooo a stop and smell the roses type that we'd never make it if our plane lands late!

You guys are awesome thank you! (If it had been just me Id of done a 55 minute layover)

Thank you all! We decided to do the flight with 1 hr and 50 minutes incase we don't land on time... Im good in airports (ive made a 30 minute layover before) but my Dfi is soooo a stop and smell the roses type that we'd never make it if our plane lands late!

You guys are awesome thank you! (If it had been just me Id of done a 55 minute layover)

I think you made a good choice. We had a 1 1/2 hour layover and was only about 15 minutes early to our gate. Granted we had a 3 year old, but our flight was just a few minutes late landing and our other gate was a good distance away.

Something else that may be able to help.... If you are connecting on the same airline, especcially if your flight lands a little late, you can sometimes grab the counter person at the exit gate and ask if they can call over to the other flight and give them a heads up.

It also doesn't hurt since they sometimes change gates on your between when you printed your boarding pass and when you arrive at the airport.

(I had a flight out of Atlanta a couple months ago. printed my boarding pass about 4hrs before my flight. When I arrived at my gate at the VERY END of the concourse (Gate 1) they had a notice on the overhead that the gate had changed to one at the very opposite end of the same concourse. That was a LONG walk.)

Something else that may be able to help.... If you are connecting on the same airline, especcially if your flight lands a little late, you can sometimes grab the counter person at the exit gate and ask if they can call over to the other flight and give them a heads up.

It also doesn't hurt since they sometimes change gates on your between when you printed your boarding pass and when you arrive at the airport.

(I had a flight out of Atlanta a couple months ago. printed my boarding pass about 4hrs before my flight. When I arrived at my gate at the VERY END of the concourse (Gate 1) they had a notice on the overhead that the gate had changed to one at the very opposite end of the same concourse. That was a LONG walk.)

Thanks! Ive had that done before but they wouldn't hold the plane (I made it 30 seconds after the gate closed as my flight was late) So we thought almost 2 hrs for a layover would work we can grab some quick food and sit around and relax a bit I hope. I looked into the history of our flights and it appears they seem to land and depart 10 gates from each other...of course I know that is subject to change but we would rather sit for an hour then cut it close by 1 minute lol.

Thanks! Ive had that done before but they wouldn't hold the plane (I made it 30 seconds after the gate closed as my flight was late) So we thought almost 2 hrs for a layover would work we can grab some quick food and sit around and relax a bit I hope. I looked into the history of our flights and it appears they seem to land and depart 10 gates from each other...of course I know that is subject to change but we would rather sit for an hour then cut it close by 1 minute lol.

I think you have made a good choice. One time we did a 47 minute connecting thru Atlanta, with 3 adults and 3 kids. Even with our first flight landing early, the second flight was boarding as we got to the gate.

I agree with you that it is much better to have a little time to sit and relax than to be mad you missed your plane.

Well the Bright side is that there is PLENTY do to at the Atlanta airport to kill time. Several of the Concourses have what amount to food courts and a mall within them. The REALLY nice thing about it is most of the shopping and food is located in the center of the Concourse above the connecting train service, so if your flight is leaving from Concourse A, you can easily hop the train to concourse C or E to grab some food without having to do a lot of hiking. (And none of it would require going back thru security).

You may want to at the very least grab one of the information brochures they have at some of the information booths for a list of the food and shopping available. Cost wise, the food isn't that bad compared to "regular" pricing outside the airport.

DcTooTall thanks so much for your information :)
From history of our flight it says its usually arrives at B and hte other flight usually leaves in B as well.
Ive been through several airports for connecting : San Francisco, Sacramento, Ottawa, chicago ohare, dulles, new wark, jfk, la guardia, detroit, lax, denver , salt lake city and toronto. I heart Atlanta is size comparable to Ohare which makes me feel a bit better.

I think in atlanta will probably get something to drink as Atlanta isnt too far from Orlando and we have free dining awaiting us so we're going to try to save money at the airport :) On the way back however we will probably get food lol I heard Atlanta has a chick fil a (I LOVEEEEeee chick fil a) so that would be a plus

Heh... Sadly I don't know for certain where in the airport the Chickfila would be located, but I would be surprised if there isn't at least one. The Airport is located in Hapeville which is the town the original Dwarf Grill was started in.

Interesting history lesson.... Truett Cathy started the Dwarf Grill where he "invented the chicken sandwich" in Hapeville, GA. This was the precurser to the Chick-Fil-a fast food chain. In the Atlanta area you also can find several Dwarf House's (Think Full service Chick-fil-a that also serves some great burgers, steaks, and my personal favorite....The Hot Browns) and I believe just south of the airport there is also now the Truett Cafe which had a nice 50's drive in theme.

(Grew up in Atlanta, and since I left have had numerous reasons to fly back thru the Atlanta Airport for business and pleasure.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter