Question about Advanced ticket purchase?

niklynn1

Mouseketeer
We are leaving for our first WDW trip in 3 weeks (June 25-30). I have made my resort reservation (PoP) and booked Magical Express. I have also made a couple of ADR's thanks to all the great info I have learned from these DisBoards! :) I have not purchased park tickets yet because I have been studying over and over all the different ticket options and trying to decide which is best for us. I think I have decided on the 5 day hopper passes, as they are only a tiny bit more than the 4 day hoppers and will give us the option to go into the parks on our first night there if we want--and if we're too tired, it's only a loss of a few bucks. My questions is this: What/when is the best way to buy the tickets. I was thinking of either calling back and having them added to my room package or ordering them online through Disney's website. Is there an advantage to buying them ahead of time? Are advanced ticket purchases cheaper? Am I able to pick them up at the front desk of POP when we arrive? Or, should I just wait and buy them when we get to WDW? Also, if I purchase them ahead of time, will they be the added to the same card as my room key and Key to the World? I think this would be easier than lugging around seperate tickets for all of us. :)
Thanks so much!

Buying your tickets in advance is cheaper than getting them after you arrive. But I wouldn't go thru Disney. You will pay more for them than you would by going thru one of the online ticket brokers. Here's a list with links to several reputable ones:
The Official Ticket Center
Ticketmania
Undercover Tourist
Discount Orlando Vacation
Maple Leaf Tickets
Compare their prices, including tax and shipping charges. Disney's website doesn't include the 6.5% sales tax in their prices. They add it at checkout. Some sites will charge you for shipping while others ship for free.

Stupid, but important to me question. When you get tickets through a non-Disney source such as those mentioned in a previous reply, are they "same"? I mean, are they the credit card type ticket that features a Disney character and you slide the card through at the turnstiles?

They are credit card size and paper-like (but more rugged than paper). They have an image on the front (not always a character, my last purchase featured the 50-years logo) and magnetic strip on the back that is read as it passes thru the reader at the turnstile. They work just as well as the plastic ones.

Hi, we are going to MGM on Friday & I was wondering if there is anyplace to buy the tickets & not have to exchange them at customer service at the park? I went to the Disney Store & to AAA & they both told me that the plastic card they are selling me will have to be swapped at the gate. We are staying at CSR - if we get them there, will we not have to make that swap?

Thanks - this is my first post here!

That's kind of interesting news. I didn't think that Disney printed ticket vouchers on plastic cards. The advance-purchase tickets that you get at the Disney Store (or any of the ticketbrokers) should be ready to use at the turnstile. That's the whole reason for getting them early - so that you don't waste your time with any exchanges at the gate. With AAA, you might get a voucher if you purchased a vacation package, but that voucher would be exchanged at your resort, not the theme park gate.

You could purchase your tickets when you arrive at CSR but you'll lose the advance-purchase discount and pay the full gate price. The advantage would be that you could put the tickets right on your room keys when you check in and then you would have to carry two cards around for each family member.

nolansmommy said:
Hi, we are going to MGM on Friday & I was wondering if there is anyplace to buy the tickets & not have to exchange them at customer service at the park? I went to the Disney Store & to AAA & they both told me that the plastic card they are selling me will have to be swapped at the gate. We are staying at CSR - if we get them there, will we not have to make that swap?

Thanks - this is my first post here!

Mad4themouse is correct. I just bought tickets as a surprise for my husband (at the Disney Store) and they are the hard plastic type - I was told by the staff there that when my husband enters the park all he has to do is go to the turnstile.

AAA (I've booked with them before) gives you a voucher, which gets exchanged once you check into your resort.

Could it be that you are thinking about the Annual pass? I ordered one and they send to you an exchange certificate card, that I will have to exchange for my actual park ticket :goodvibes .

we bought our tickets from discount orlando vacation very helpfull , ordered on the 1st june arrived on the 7th all tax included in price and free shipping.

Our Disney Store here in Tampa has all the tickets they sell like plastic gift cards & the manager of the store told me I would have to exchange them at the park. AAA, I'm not sure if it was paper or plastic but they told me it would have to be exchanged too.

I didn't see on the ticket website you guys recommended, the option of FL resident tickets. I don't think I get an advance purchase discount on those anyway? I know the discount at AAA is $2 each. Honestly, if I have to wait in line at MGM on Friday to get in, it's worth the extra $6 to not have to listen to my 6 year old dying to get in while we have to wait in an extra line.

Any other way you guys can think of to get these things in advance without the extra stop in line? It will be crowded enough getting in to MGM Star Wars that morning without another wait.

TIA - you all have been most helpful. This may be on the boards somewhere else, I have been addicted to reading here this week & have not found my answer on another post & I need the tickets soon. So far, the best plan I have come up with is to check in CSR early that morning to get our tickets, free parking pass & if we are early enough, we can use our EMH. But, that's going to be one early, early morning - oh well, I won't be surprised if there's not much sleeping going on Thurs. night anyway! ;)

My Star Wars boys cannot wait!! :cool1: :Pinkbounc :woohoo:

I ended up just ordering my tickets in advance through Disney. The CM on the phone told me I'd have to pick them up at the will-call window when I arrive. I had hoped that I would be able to get them at my resort (POP), but is this not the case? We arrive on the afternoon of Sunday, June 30th. My plan had been to either go to DTD that evening or maybe over to MK for a bit to see Spectro and Wishes. However, this night is an EMH at MK. My questions are these: Is it a big hassle and/or line at the will-call window? Do I have to pick up my tickets at one of the parks, or is there a place in DTD or even at my resort where I can pick these up? I'd like to get them Sunday night so we will be ready to go Monday morning. Maybe I made a mistake my ordering them in advance through Disney. Now I will have to carry two cards (Key to the World + tickets) for all of us. I had thought by ordering through Disney they could all be one card. Apparently not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter