• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about a few roles I'm interested in for the DCP

DOLEWHlP

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I'm planning on applying for the Spring 2017 DCProgram when apps drop sometime this month, but before I apply I had a specific question about a few of the roles I was interested in and what they entail.

First, I have my top two roles already decided and neither of what those require as part of the description are a problem for myself but I'm having a little trouble deciding what my third top choice would be because of the descriptions on what Main Entrance Ops and Concierge/Bell Services might require I do as part of the job.
Unfortunately for me, I'm not the most confident driver - even on my own and in my own car - and I know both of those roles have driving either a van/tram in their descriptions and that's what's keeping my from deciding on whether I would be comfortable doing those or not. I am fine with everything else except for the driving bit on both of the roles, so I was curious if it's possible they wouldn't assign those specific things to me if I voiced my concerns or if I should just steer clear of both of them entirely if the previous wouldn't be an option.

Obviously I understand that it's possible I won't even get these roles or that Disney might not even put me in one of my top 3 if I even get into the program, but regardless I would appreciate any advice if you have it (especially before apps drop and I have to decide)! thanks!

Also curious to hear what everyone thinks about this and how voicing your concerns could affect your placement. As of right now in the role descriptions for WDW, Parking is listed under the potential responsibilities for Attractions. Working on the rides and in the park would probably be my highest choice but I have absolutely no interest in Parking and the thought of driving that long tram terrifies me. So do I put Attractions as a top choice, voice my concern, and hope for the best?

I put attractions as my top choice and in my interview, they never mentioned parking. I landed in MK and I think parking was Operations, but that was Spring 2013 CP so it may have changed since then. In your interview they'll give you an overview of everything you could end up doing in each role you selected and ask you if those are still your choices after hearing about them. If you get a role and end up not liking it and extend your program, you'll get the choice to change roles if you like. Again, that was 3+ years ago so it may have changed since then, but that's what I experienced.

Yeah, Transportation (minus Monorail and Watercraft) and Main Entrance Operations are both listed on the Attractions role page right now. This makes me think not enough people were selecting them so they decided to lump them all together to force people into these roles. And, personally, I think this is pretty ridiculous because I have no idea what parking or main entrance ops has to do with Attractions. So I don't know what to do when selecting roles because I do not want to end up in one of the toll plazas or driving the tram but would like to put normal Attractions roles as a top choice.

Yeah, Transportation (minus Monorail and Watercraft) and Main Entrance Operations are both listed on the Attractions role page right now. This makes me think not enough people were selecting them so they decided to lump them all together to force people into these roles. And, personally, I think this is pretty ridiculous because I have no idea what parking or main entrance ops has to do with Attractions. So I don't know what to do when selecting roles because I do not want to end up in one of the toll plazas or driving the tram but would like to put normal Attractions roles as a top choice.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. Some roles, like maintenance, get their acceptance letters quickly because not many people opt for that role so they could be shoehorning you in to fill a need and justifying the label by saying the tram is an "attraction".

As for roles, keeping asking questions if you find a former CP. They can explain to you better what each role entails and their personal opinion. The description online is very vague and filled with typical HR jargon. I can tell you from experience that Attractions (if you get placed at an actual ride and not thrown into parking, which I agree shouldn't be in Attractions) is one the most fun, frustrating, and pleasantly exhausting experiences I've ever had. You'll meet thousands and thousands of people in a day, even a celebrity or two, and I arguably had more fun day to day than anyone else in another role that I knew. If you have any questions or anything, I'd be happy to answer them for you best I can if it helps!

Thanks for writing back fitzherbert2 and I'm sorry I kind of hijacked your thread, dolewhip. I'm just a little frustrated by the inclusion of Transportation under Attractions. I don't know if any of the Fall 2016 CPs have started yet but I'd be curious to hear if any of them ended up in Parking after thinking they were in standard Attractions.

But, as dolewhip originally asked, do you think we should bring up concerns when asked about the roles (assuming we get phone interviews) or is this something that will make us seem difficult?

Thanks for writing back fitzherbert2 and I'm sorry I kind of hijacked your thread, dolewhip. I'm just a little frustrated by the inclusion of Transportation under Attractions. I don't know if any of the Fall 2016 CPs have started yet but I'd be curious to hear if any of them ended up in Parking after thinking they were in standard Attractions.

But, as dolewhip originally asked, do you think we should bring up concerns when asked about the roles (assuming we get phone interviews) or is this something that will make us seem difficult?

If you do have concerns that would be the time to voice them. If you discuss them with the recruiter at that point, they have an opportunity to assist you if possible. What you DONT want to do is get in and on your first or second day voice your concern. That will be much more frustrating for them than you being upfront and honest about your concerns.

Wow! I feel horrible I completely didn't reply to anything in this thread!
But in case anyone is still wondering or has yet to have their interview and comes across this: I would highly suggest what fitzherbert2 said - voice your concerns and questions!
My interviewer brought up driving large trams/trucks/vans during my interview and I was completely honest, telling her that I didn't think that I would be comfortable with it and she was very understanding and was glad I told her the truth. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter