question about 10 yo on DDP and ordering from kids menu

MichelleB

DIS Veteran
Can a 10 yr old on the DDP order an appetizer from the adult menu, entree from the kids menu, and then a dessert from the adult menu? She really doesn't like many of the adult options and is such a small eater anyway. There will be 6 of us, though, so we figure we'll still get our money's worth overall.

I am not trying to pull anything funny, if anything they benefit from my 10 yo eating a child's menu entree. I did call Disney Dining and they said it was fine for her to order appetizer and dessert from adult menu and entree from the child's menu. I just can't get this kid away from mac/cheese, cheeseburgers, or chicken nuggets. I was hoping she'd expand and try new things, but if it's going to cause problems with her on vacation, I think I'd rather lose a little money for her dining plan than to worry about it. I'm sure it'll be fine and just wanted to let anyone know that's in our situation, that they can order from both menus.

That's what we usually did when we went in May. DS would order an adult apperizer, a kid's entree, and either and adult or kid's dessert. The only place that had an issue with this was WCC. They finally let us but the server had to talk to the manager first.

You will not have a problem with the scenario you described. My DD did the same thing in July--mix and match to her mood on that day. Usually her apps. and dessert came from the children's menu. We found when she did order her entree from the children's menu her portions were very large. Even my DS who is a rather mature looking 14 (at Le Cellier they called him sir and wanted to know if they should leave his wine glass--I'm sure he would have loved that!) often ordered the desserts form the childrens menu--he loves Mickey Mouse Brownies sundaes and make your own sundaes so he was very happy.

Our DS10 did the same thing in December, but I didn't notice his entrees being any larger than his sister's (7). He would normally choose an appetizer from the adult menu, an entree from the children's menu and was about 50/50 on the desserts from each menu. Never once did we have a server even bat an eye over it. I'm sure it happens all the time.

Why would Disney have a problem with that? It is when parents pay for the child DDP and then order adult food that would be the issue. That is why they are still making money on the DDP. For every order of Mac and Cheese they serve instead of a child's steak, they are laughing all the way to the bank. Of course, to me, it is more important for my chlid to be happy and if that is worth $10 or $15 of technically unused DDP money, then it is money well spent by the parent!

I bet on closer calculation, you are still eating $38.99 worth of food per day anyway! I love the DDP, I think it is a great plan even though it needs a little tweaking.

JMHO!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter