• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quality or Quantity - POR Riverside or Contemporary?

jhaig

Not The First To Pass This Way
Here is my dilemma - we are planning a Sept 2014 trip. Right now we have reservations at CR in the Garden wing for 7 nights. Considering our budget, we are thinking about moving to POR Riveride and staying for 12 nights. Of course, the main advantage of CR is the proximity to MK, which is where we would spend the majority of our park time. However, we could stay twice as long if we stayed at POR, but would spend more time traveling back and forth on the busses and boats. Any thoughts?

Wouldn't think twice. POR is beautiful and any time I get the chance to spend more time at WDW, I take it.:thumbsup2

Here is my dilemma - we are planning a Sept 2014 trip. Right now we have reservations at CR in the Garden wing for 7 nights. Considering our budget, we are thinking about moving to POR Riveride and staying for 12 nights. Of course, the main advantage of CR is the proximity to MK, which is where we would spend the majority of our park time. However, we could stay twice as long if we stayed at POR, but would spend more time traveling back and forth on the busses and boats. Any thoughts?

Heck, I'd take the 12 nights over 7 any day.... More time in WDW means relaxing touring,.

Though not a fan of POR ( we prefer POFQ just on compactness alone) and travel anywhere on property is no big deal.... 30 minutes on a bus, no big deal, still tons of time to play in the parks, we break in the afternoon anyway to get out if the parks when he heat is high and crowds swell...convenience of CR...

Yeah, you can walk but you pay big bucks for monorail access, why walk? We're deluxe people, more like were....deluxe has just out priced itself for us... Out of 49 trips, 46 have been deluxe ( 10+ to WL, 8+ CR) last 2 to POFQ and we're going again this Oct to POFQ.... Stay longer and play more....we rather stay 10+ night at POFQ at 160.00 a night then 4 nights at Poly at 345.00 a night....

I'm in the minority as I would stay at the CR for 7 nights. Our first stay was at a mod (CBR) and while we loved the resort and had a great trip, once we stayed deluxe we haven't stayed anything else since. We love the deluxe resorts (especially the monorail resorts) for the larger rooms, location, and extra amenities.

I'm in the minority as I would stay at the CR for 7 nights. Our first stay was at a mod (CBR) and while we loved the resort and had a great trip, once we stayed deluxe we haven't stayed anything else since. We love the deluxe resorts (especially the monorail resorts) for the larger rooms, location, and extra amenities.

That's where the question lies. We stayed at CR last yer for the first time and loved being close to MK, but couldn't stay as long as we wanted. Three years ago we were at POR and stayed for much longer, and really enjoyed it, but once we stayed at a deluxe, we may have been spoiled for life.;)

That's where the question lies. We stayed at CR last yer for the first time and loved being close to MK, but couldn't stay as long as we wanted. Three years ago we were at POR and stayed for much longer, and really enjoyed it, but once we stayed at a deluxe, we may have been spoiled for life.;)

We definitely got spoiled when we stayed deluxe for the first time. We loved CBR and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if we chose a mod, but it's very hard to go back (for us, anyway ;)). I know the mods are great resorts, but for ME, I know I wouldn't be happy unless I was at a deluxe resort. We spend a lot of time at the resort (probably more time than at the parks) and the deluxe resorts just work better for us :goodvibes. Good luck deciding because I know how hard it can be choosing a resort.

I would choose POR and staying longer. You could go at a more relaxed pace and enjoy down days at the resort. Plus we love POR and think the grounds are beautiful. We don't mind the buses (though we usually rent a car now) and love the boat to DTD.

If I knew I was going back soon I might choose the Deluxe for a shorter time, but if it was my only trip for awhile I'd much prefer to have the extra days.

I would definitely go with the longer stay. We had to shorten our upcoming trip, and it really is disappointing. Luckily our son doesn't even know about the trip, so he'll just be happy we are going.

I personally would choose the longer stay at the mod resort. My husband and I splurged for Poly on our honeymoon and thought it was great, but we hated paying that much for a room we only spent 8hrs in each night sleeping. If you like to spend more time lounging at the resort, then it might be worth it to you. Otherwise, I'd go with POR and enjoy a much longer visit.

Longer stay, no doubt.

For us, our biggest hold up is time. So we are picking CR again this year for proximity to MK, since we have 3 MK days and a MNSSHP night.

If I could stay for 12 days, we'd probably be at POR as well. As it is, we've only got 7 nights.

We've stayed at the Contemporary (tower room) and POR (twice, third time coming up soon) and I would choose POR over Contemporary.

To me, the only advantages of the Contemporary was the monorail, and having the food court right in the same building. Yes, the room was a bit bigger than the ones at POR and had a few more amenities, but we weren't in the room much so I would choose a moderate resort over a deluxe in order to stay a few more days.

OP, this depends on the individual needs of your family. How many of you and what are the ages?
Also, will you be on one of the dining plans?
I ask because for my family of 5+infant who like sit down and character dinners, we would find it more of a hassle to stay at a mod. It would mean double the time on busses, folding up strollers, etc. Plus we would have more space in a deluxe room.
Can you compromise by pricing out either an Epcot resort or Wilderness Lodge?

I have also been spoiled by deluxe. HOWEVER , the difference you said is HUGE for vacation, so I would absolutely choose POR for a longer stay.

:thumbsup2

tough... Our opinion is to always stay as long as possible but here are the issues...

POR: Must drive or bus to everything, if you want to go to the MK, Poly, FW, EPCOT or what ever you must drive or take a long bus ride...

CR: You can walk to the MK or Monorail to nearly everything else on the Monorail loop. Plus you can jump on a boat and go to WL or FW... You can also jump on the monorail and go over to the Poly or GF and watch Wishes...

I guess it really depends on how you do Disney. Do you go into the parks and stay there all day and then on non-park days you stay at the resort and swim/relax, then i would do POR and stay the longer time. But if you do the parks for a couple hours and then go look around someplace else then do the CR. This is how we do Disney. A couple hrs in the park then over to the GF/FW/WL or Poly to relax then back into the park for a couple more hours then back to BLT to swim and relax...

I would figure out how you want to do Disney and go from there.

I would choose POR and go longer for sure. Yes you'll have to do bus or car to all of the parks but keep in mind you have to do that to two of the parks from CR anyhow. And you get the boat to DTD. For 5 more days the choice would be an easy one for me.

Of course the decor at CR does not appeal to me at all and I think POR is just beautiful. So that would be another plus for me.

My question to OP: have you ever stayed in a motel room with your family for 12 days before? It gets old. Think about that; all sharing one bathroom, no kitchen and no laundry. This isn't an advert for DVC though. Those have no appeal to me on vacation, but think about the length of time all watching the same TV with lots of Stacy 24/7. We don't do Disney over 8 nites anymore. Just something else to consider.

POR!! It's lovely there and you have the little boat that takes you to DTD. I love staying there!

I guess it really depends on how you do Disney. Do you go into the parks and stay there all day and then on non-park days you stay at the resort and swim/relax, then i would do POR and stay the longer time. But if you do the parks for a couple hours and then go look around someplace else then do the CR. This is how we do Disney. A couple hrs in the park then over to the GF/FW/WL or Poly to relax then back into the park for a couple more hours then back to BLT to swim and relax...

I would figure out how you want to do Disney and go from there.

The way we do it, especially in September, is get there at rope drop, stay until early afternoon, then it's back to the hotel for a rest/swim. Then we go for dinner at the parks and stay til closing. That, in itself, would almost be worth staying at CR. Also being able to walk home past the masses at the bus stop after Wishes is a big plus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter