Q about runDisney events

steveyjc81

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Just wondering how "serious" the runDisney events are? Considering the DLP half next year, and would like to get a good time. Is stopping off for character photos the norm?

Just wondering why if they go to such an effort of chip timing etc what the point is if people are stopping for photos etc ?

Thanks,
Stevey

Hi all,

Just wondering how "serious" the runDisney events are? Considering the DLP half next year, and would like to get a good time. Is stopping off for character photos the norm?

Just wondering why if they go to such an effort of chip timing etc what the point is if people are stopping for photos etc ?

Thanks,
Stevey

I haven't run the DLP, but from the other runDisney events I've done you have a mix of people who run them for different reasons. There are certainly some who run it for time and are more serious about hitting certain paces and time goals. Most I think though don't worry much about time and rather enjoy the atmosphere and unique aspects of the race like the character stops. Again, not sure about DLP, but all other Disney races do have a minimum pace requirement of 16 min/mile and they do sweep people who don't maintain that. So, while time and speed aren't necessarily the main points behind these races, there are timing requirements thus a chip timed race.

Yes, people stop for pictures. Quite a bit.

I am one of those people. I take the distances seriously and train for them, but personally I feel that since I am paying so much money for races in Disney parks, I may as well enjoy them. "Enjoying them" for me means stopping for great pictures with characters, somewhat empty parks, etc. If I want to run a race to try to PR, I do so here at home (for much cheaper!).

But not everyone thinks like me - these courses are USATF certified, and like you said, chip timed. Some people use them for PRs, Boston Qualifiers, etc.

"The point" is that we are all different and we all have different goals for these races. If you want to run a fast time, you can certainly try to do that. I say *try* because these races are very crowded and the paths narrow when you go through the parks. And they are very first-timer friendly, so you may encounter less-than-perfect etiquette. Having said that, plenty of people PR at these races - make sure to do your best to get an earlier corral placement - that will help you more than anything.

Just like any other race on the planet you could register for, it's completely up to you and you alone how "serious" you take the race.

I'm not sure what personal in-race decisions of other runners have to do with the overall tone of the race and how "serious" it is ...

Plus, plenty of people stop for photos and other things and still manage to post pretty fast times.

I don't consider runDisney events to be "serious" at all. That being said, I don't consider most running events to be serious. They are fun: a great atmosphere with other crazy, like-minded people. Some people stop for characters, many don't.

However, like others have said, you can personally take a runDisney event as seriously as you want. I have only done one runDisney race weekend so far (Star Wars Dark Side Challenge), and I ran the 10k at a fast, but not all-out pace. I didn't stop for anything like characters or photos, but I did relax and enjoy the atmosphere instead of racing the 10k. For the half marathon, however, I did run it for time, so I treated it like a normal race (well, as normal a race as you can with cool TIE fighter sounds zooming by you), and it worked out very well as a race too.

If you do plan on racing a runDisney event, I would highly encourage you to submit a good Proof of Time such that you get an early corral.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Stevey

It seems the further up (in corrals) you are, the more serious the race. If you're a sub-8 minute miler, you're not going to have as many people in front of you run/walking, stopping for photos, hugging friends (or strangers!) along the street. So, yes, you can still get a good time.

The further back you are, the more you're going to experience tighter areas of the course, people swerving over to a character stop, selfies at mile markers, run/walk intervals. Just be prepared going in.

I mean, just how serious of a race can it be when you can high-five Goofy at the end!

You might not get a good time but you'll have a great time!

The RunDisney races are the least "serious" that I have ever run, but they offer the ability to run for whatever experience you are looking for including a competitive time.

If running for time is your primary reason for doing a race, there are certainly much more economical ways to achieve that goal. There are no requirements to stop for pictures, race in costume, etc. but if things like that going on around you would be off-putting or would make the race less enjoyable for you then this probably wouldn't be the type of race you are looking for.

Is your coral placement for Run Disney races based upon what time you said you expected to run on your registration or you actual proof of time? When I registered I had not even run a 10k so I selected a conservative time (2 hour 30 min). My proof of time put me at more like a 2 hour pace.

Is your coral placement for Run Disney races based upon what time you said you expected to run on your registration or you actual proof of time? When I registered I had not even run a 10k so I selected a conservative time (2 hour 30 min). My proof of time put me at more like a 2 hour pace.

It's a combination of both - you need to make sure your estimated finish time falls in line with your PoT. The registration program initially sorts you by estimated finish time AND THEN ranks you based on PoT - they won't do the math for you to adjust estimated finish time.

I had luck at Tink Weekend because when I updated my PoT, I didn't think to change the dropdown for Estimated Finish Time - my new PoT would put me in Corral B over Corral D for Pixie Dust, so that was a BIG difference. I went to Runner Relations and they stickered my bib and pointed out where I'd made the error.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Sounds like a good mix of fun and running. Think I'll maybe apply for the DLP half when i see it opening up

Thank you

Like everyone already stated, its whatever you make it to be. Personally, fD are my fun races. I run between 15-17 races a year and my big races in terms of pace/time are not rD races. I want h freedom to sto for photos or to enjoy the view or whatever and not feel stressed because i have a time i want/need to hit. I like the more "self service" type character photos without the long lines though.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Stevey

Like others have said, stopping is definitely the norm. Its Disney, and they put on a really fun race. Most use it as the reward for all their training and take advantage of the cool photo opps. Getting a good POT beforehand can greatly enhance your experience, though, since it will put you in a better corral than without one, which will give you more time to enjoy the race with fewer bottlenecks and more cushion from the balloon ladies.

Some people do run them for time though, particular those in the first corrals (this is not me, FYI). So the chip timing is there for those it matters to. Also, its a good way to catch cheaters (if a person has odd splits, and misses a mat at a point where cutting was likely, etc.) Some people also run certain races for fun and others for time. (Like doing the 10K fast, taking half easy or whatever).

I live in Atlanta, which as you know is hilly, and very hot and humid in the summer months (particularly this one). I needed a better half marathon time for Dopey, so I ran Disneyland for time. It was flat, temps were vastly cooler than what I'd been used to, and I got a time that I was happy with. So you can run it for time if you want, and have fun doing it, because even if you're not stopping a lot - I think I stopped once - there is a ton to look at and distract you. It's your race to make it what you want it to be!

Hey, What's all this talk about rD races not being serious? I take my character stops very seriously, and stop for every character that I see.

:stitch::tigger::sulley::mickeyjum:goofy::dumbo::donald:

Particularly if your costume matches or coordinates, these stops are mandatory. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter