Q&A for Accepted or Hopeful Fairy Godmothers in Training!

disneymegs

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I first came onto the Disboards when I applied for the WDW CP last spring. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Hostess was my first choice, and luckily I got it! I did the CP at Downtown Disney's BBB in Fall '10 and finished this last January. Luckily for me, they kept me in the BBB after my CP and I still work there in between classes! I've worked in the Magic Kingdom location several times as well. I had so many questions when I was accepted that I wanted to open up this thread for anyone to ask me questions about the BBB. It's so hard to wait around for the arrival date and not ask a million questions! I've seen a lot of questions already posted in other threads, and I try to answer all of them, but it would be easier if we designated one to the BBB questions! Post away! princess:

What kinds of qualities are expected for a BBB hostess? How difficult is it to get into the MK BBB?

As a more general CP question, what's the timeline for acceptance? I'm looking to apply for the fall 2012 semester.

What kinds of qualities are expected for a BBB hostess? How difficult is it to get into the MK BBB?

As a more general CP question, what's the timeline for acceptance? I'm looking to apply for the fall 2012 semester.

The biggest thing for BBB is experience with children. Previous hair training helps as well, but it's not required. There are only 3 hairstyles to learn and it's nothing that can't be fixed if you mess up a little. The experience you give the little girl is the most important thing. The best advice I can give you is to write a cheat sheet for your interview. I did this and it was so helpful and made me feel really relaxed and comfortable. Write down the following information: personal info. (sounds stupid but you never know when nerves could make you draw a blank), past work experience and responsibilties, school info., etc. Also write answers to possible questions about the roles you want. They will ask you about any hair or children experience. They will ask why you want it, and why you think you're perfect for it. They will also ask you why you want to be in the program in general. Show how much you love Disney and smile while you talk, but don't geek out! Haha. As far as getting into MK, it's random where they place you. You'll find out which BBB you are at when you check in. You can work at both though, you just have to pick up a shift on a day off or switch with someone. You may also be deployed for a week. Acceptance wise, I was accepted in 7 days. They tell you it could be weeks or months, but it doesn't seem to take that long unless you're pended first. Hope this helps! Sorry it's long winded. :)

All over this thread as promised :)

How long was your commute to work?
How was your relationship with the full and part timers?
What was the hardest part about training?
About how much on average do you take home each week in tips? (If you don't mind saying of course)

Thanks again for doing this disneymegs!

The biggest thing for BBB is experience with children. Previous hair training helps as well, but it's not required. There are only 3 hairstyles to learn and it's nothing that can't be fixed if you mess up a little. The experience you give the little girl is the most important thing. The best advice I can give you is to write a cheat sheet for your interview. I did this and it was so helpful and made me feel really relaxed and comfortable. Write down the following information: personal info. (sounds stupid but you never know when nerves could make you draw a blank), past work experience and responsibilties, school info., etc. Also write answers to possible questions about the roles you want. They will ask you about any hair or children experience. They will ask why you want it, and why you think you're perfect for it. They will also ask you why you want to be in the program in general. Show how much you love Disney and smile while you talk, but don't geek out! Haha. As far as getting into MK, it's random where they place you. You'll find out which BBB you are at when you check in. You can work at both though, you just have to pick up a shift on a day off or switch with someone. You may also be deployed for a week. Acceptance wise, I was accepted in 7 days. They tell you it could be weeks or months, but it doesn't seem to take that long unless you're pended first. Hope this helps! Sorry it's long winded. :)
No, that's perfect. How does school performance affect acceptance? I have a pretty solid GPA, if i do say so myself.. :rolleyes1 :upsidedow

I bi k I can answer two questions, I hope don't mind me butting in!

I'm pretty certain CP's don't get tips at all, at leat that's what it says in the description.

And I know GPA doesn't really matter. I've heard of people barely skating by with a 2.0 get attractions, while a 3.9 person gets qsfb. I don't actually ever remember getting asked anything about my GPA, so I don't think it matters at all, except to your school.

All over this thread as promised :)

How long was your commute to work?
How was your relationship with the full and part timers?
What was the hardest part about training?
About how much on average do you take home each week in tips? (If you don't mind saying of course)

Thanks again for doing this disneymegs!

I personally didn't live in the provided housing. I lived about 15 minutes from Downtown Disney and about 5 minutes from the Magic Kingdom cast lot. The CP housing is very close to Downtown Disney. Nothing is really that far away in Disney :)

Most full and part timers love the CP's, or so it seemed to me. Most are very welcoming and will help you if you need it.

The hairstyles are definitely tricky to learn. You learn and practice them on a mannequin head for a few days before you do any real princesses. Your trainer helps you once you're on the floor, but it's hard to learn what do with your hands at first, especially with that fairytale bun! Now it's like second nature to me, so you just have to realize it takes everyone time to get it down, unless they're hair experts. Don't worry if you drop a few combs or feel flustered at first!

The most tips I took home was $105 I think. That was around the holidays when it was very busy. Usually I could expect at least $30-40 though. The CP's get a LOT of hours, so that means good tips :)

No, that's perfect. How does school performance affect acceptance? I have a pretty solid GPA, if i do say so myself.. :rolleyes1 :upsidedow

People with 2.0s get in, so if you have better I'm sure it will help. Just mention that you're very hard working at school and they'll see that with your GPA. :)

I have a question, but I guess this could go for any role that gets tips.
I heard if you do get tips they take more out of your paycheck- Is that true or not?

I heard if you do get tips they take more out of your paycheck- Is that true or not?

I never had anything taken out of my paycheck. The tips are cash so they don't even go on there. I'm sure it's different in food and beverage though.

What was your favourite thing working at BBB? Any memories that really stick out in your mind?

I have quite a few princesses that I remember really well. One in particular that came back to visit me at the end of her two week vacation, and another who went and bought an autograph book after I finished her and then sat and waited for probably 15-20 minutes for me to finish another princess so she could have my autograph. I got permission from some parents to have Photopass put pictures on my card, but I don't think I should post them for the world to see. Magical moments are really fun too. One time at MK, another FGiT and I walked around outside the castle with a "glass slipper" to give a little girl. It was tiny and we told her the Fairy Godmother shrunk it when she found it and wanted her to keep it from Cinderella to teach her not to lose her slipper again. Oh and one time Lily from Hannah Montana was in the MK BBB but I was so into my princess I didn't notice :rotfl:

What were your typical shifts during the CP? Were they pretty regular or did they change a lot from week to week? Did you have the same days off or did that change a lot too?

Thanks for all your answers so far! :)

Wanted to chime in on tips -

Technically, CPs cannot accept tips when working in a tipped role (the only one I can think of, that CPs are eligible for, is Bell Services).

HOWEVER, BBB and TPL are considered specialized roles, not tipped roles. The Cast Members who work at these locations work in a different union than the other traditional tipped roles. They have worked out an agreement with Disney, that CMs in these two roles may accept tips. But, tips must be shared equally with everyone who worked that day. This way, if you are stationed at the check-in counter, you are still included with the tips everyone else makes.

The tips are not linked to paychecks, as they are considered a bonus on top of the hourly pay. This practice is UNIQUE to the BBB and TPL, anything classified as a "tipped role" does process tips through the paycheck system.

What were your typical shifts during the CP? Were they pretty regular or did they change a lot from week to week? Did you have the same days off or did that change a lot too?

Thanks for all your answers so far! :)

Shifts vary a lot. Just keep in mind that the CP's (especially at the BBB) get the most hours of all the FGiTs. I had almost 50 hours one week during the holidays. Usually you'll have 8 hour shifts at DTD, but 6 or 12 hour shifts are not uncommon. I had tuesdays and wednesdays off everyweek until it got busy and I only had one day off. At MK it's usually 6 or 12 hour shifts and one day a week off, or so it seemed when I was deployed. If it's not busy or they don't really need you, you can request to leave early. You can also request to extend if you want more hours.

Technically, CPs cannot accept tips when working in a tipped role (the only one I can think of, that CPs are eligible for, is Bell Services).

HOWEVER, BBB and TPL are considered specialized roles, not tipped roles. The Cast Members who work at these locations work in a different union than the other traditional tipped roles. They have worked out an agreement with Disney, that CMs in these two roles may accept tips. But, tips must be shared equally with everyone who worked that day. This way, if you are stationed at the check-in counter, you are still included with the tips everyone else makes.

The tips are not linked to paychecks, as they are considered a bonus on top of the hourly pay. This practice is UNIQUE to the BBB and TPL, anything classified as a "tipped role" does process tips through the paycheck system.

Exactly. We get divided cash for the hours and days we work. I didn't want to get into the union situation cause it can be a little confusing. The Boutiques have had trouble with the system before and it's been taken away for short periods of time.

I've been accepted into Attractions, but I'd really love to do the BBB (it was my second choice, after character performer). I have a lot of experience with children and currently work in a girl's clothing boutique.

Do you think it's worth a shot calling recruiting and asking if--in the event a spot opens up--I could be reconsidered for the BBB?

Or would they just laugh?

Thanks!

Thank you for clearing that up for me! :goodvibes

I've been accepted into Attractions, but I'd really love to do the BBB (it was my second choice, after character performer). I have a lot of experience with children and currently work in a girl's clothing boutique.

Do you think it's worth a shot calling recruiting and asking if--in the event a spot opens up--I could be reconsidered for the BBB?

Or would they just laugh?

Thanks!

Did you accept the role yet? If you didn't accept you could call and ask why you weren't considered for it and if there is anything they can do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter