Purchasing Vero Beach reslae question?

JessLCH

DIS Veteran
If I were to purchase Vero Beach resale, I would probably never go to Vero Beach but use the points most years to go to WDW DVC properties and occasionally rent out my points. My question is....is this allowed...to purchase at a resort you never plan to use? What would be my chances of getting anything at WDW at the 7 month mark for busy school holiday times like Thanksgiving, February Vacation, New Years etc. There seem to be lots of Vero Beach points available for significantly cheaper $ per point than anywhere else.

Explain the pros and cons of my thinking or anything I don't understand. Thanks!

If I were to purchase Vero Beach resale, I would probably never go to Vero Beach but use the points most years to go to WDW DVC properties and occasionally rent out my points. My question is....is this allowed...to purchase at a resort you never plan to use? What would be my chances of getting anything at WDW at the 7 month mark for busy school holiday times like Thanksgiving, February Vacation, New Years etc. There seem to be lots of Vero Beach points available for significantly cheaper $ per point than anywhere else.

Explain the pros and cons of my thinking or anything I don't understand. Thanks!

Buy where you want to stay. The "cheap" VB contract will cost you far more in the long run in maintenance fees than if you just bought at one of the on site WDW DVC locations. SSR is very nice & if you can never plan until 7 months out, you will be staying there frequently.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Buy where you want to stay. The "cheap" VB contract will cost you far more in the long run in maintenance fees than if you just bought at one of the on site WDW DVC locations. SSR is very nice & if you can never plan until 7 months out, you will be staying there frequently.

Thanks, actually I usually CAN plan at 11 months but was looking for a large amount of points (400-500) for not a lot of $. We usually travel during peak periods with extended family requiring a large point amount for (usually) 2 two bedroom villas. Our one stay at SS was mixed. Liked the property okay overall but our room was intolerably musty/moldy smelling. We switched rooms and STILL had the same problem, even after they did a "deep clean." So, overall, not crazy about purchasing there.

Don't buy VB unless you plan to stay there. You will never be able to book at WDW until seven months out. And if you want any time from early October through early January, you need the home resort advantage. I agree with SSR as an alternate or OKW as well.

If SSR is not your cup of tea, you might think about either OKW or AKV for an on site home resort.

Thanks, actually I usually CAN plan at 11 months but was looking for a large amount of points (400-500) for not a lot of $. We usually travel during peak periods with extended family requiring a large point amount for (usually) 2 two bedroom villas. Our one stay at SS was mixed. Liked the property okay overall but our room was intolerably musty/moldy smelling. We switched rooms and STILL had the same problem, even after they did a "deep clean." So, overall, not crazy about purchasing there.

Dues at VB will cost you $3700.

Dues at SSR, $2405.

I am a firm believer that you should buy where you love to stay, that's why we own at 5 resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

You'll figure out the "catch" when you get your first dues bill. Remember, dues increases are percentage based. So a 4% increase on VB is larger than a 4% increase on OKW.

As far as booking goes, you should usually be able to get "something" at the 7 month mark. But for the amount of money you will be spending, do you really want to settle for whatever's available?

Okay, thanks all, I think I am beginning to understand. Based on this, AKV would be a better fit for us to consider, I think.

Now, tell me about owning multiple contracts...what if I were to buy say 160 points each contracts at two or three different properties, for example:

AKL; 160
BLT: 160
SS:160

How would that impact my ability to combine any of these points and book at various resorts at the 11 month mark? For example, if I needed 480 points for one trip at AKL, could I combine all the points and book at the 11 month mark, or only book 160 points worth at AKL at 11 months?

Can someone explain to me the pros and cons and things to know about owning multiple contracts at different resorts...or even the same resort?

From 11 months until 7 months plus one day from check-in, points are restricted to use at their home resort. In other words, if you want to book AKV in the home resort points booking window, you need AKV points. At 7 months or less from check-in, any points can be used to book any resort.

You can bank and borrow your AKV points and accumulate up to 3 years worth of points to use for one trip (or four years worth if your trip spans two Use Years). If you need more than that, you could try to arrange for an AKV owner to transfer AKV points into your account.

Just being an owner somewhere is not sufficient. Having enough of the right points is what matters. For example, I don't own at BLT but could have BLT points transferred into my account and use them to book BLT 11 months out.

From 11 months until 7 months plus one day from check-in, points are restricted to use at their home resort. In other words, if you want to book AKV in the home resort points booking window, you need AKV points. At 7 months or less from check-in, any points can be used to book any resort.

Thanks, then why do people own at multiple resorts?

And , one more thing, what about buying multiple contracts at the same resort, say 2 or 3 160 point contracts at AKV, for example. Would the use year on each mess up the ability to combine the points for one reservation?

I own at multiple resorts so that I can book there 11 months out. I have enough points at VWL to book there every other year by banking (and sometimes also borrowing) my VWL points to accumulate enough to stay there every other year. In the alternate years, I use my small AKV contract to do the same thing.

And , one more thing, what about buying multiple contracts at the same resort, say 2 or 3 160 point contracts at AKV, for example. Would the use year on each mess up the ability to combine the points for one reservation?
If you own multiple AKV contracts with the same UY, they can function as one contract and be used to book one stay.

If the contracts have different UYs, then they will be under separate memberships. To use them for one stay, you have a few options. You can transfer points from one contract to the other (something you can do once per UY) or you can book some nights under one reservation from one contract and the rest on a separate reservation from the other contract and have MS link the two reservations.

ETA: The issue with linked reservations is that you have to check out and check in again and get new keys. If you intend to purchase multiple contracts, it's easier if they have the same UY.

Just being an owner somewhere is not sufficient. Having enough of the right points is what matters. For example, I don't own at BLT but could have BLT points transferred into my account and use them to book BLT 11 months out.

Is this accurate? If so this really changes things for me.

Is this accurate? If so this really changes things for me.

Yes you can but you can only transfer out OR in once per UY and you would have to find someone to transfer you the points at a cost of about 12.00PP or more.

I own at multiple resorts, I have a couple of BLT contracts that I only use to stay at BLT and get 11 month home advantage and book either MK or standard view rooms. I'm going through ROFR on an AKL contract that I will initially only use to book ALK and I have a couple of OKW contracts that I use to book wherever we'd like to stay at 7 months.

All my contracts have the same use year which makes it straightforward when booking and gives me the ability to use whichever contract I want at the 7 month mark.

i would prefer personally to own at more than one resort as we prefer to do split stays, we never want to just stay in one place. I would however take my time buying and make sure i got everything in the same UY.

I own 200 OKW June UY, 100 AKV Aug UY, 50 and 25 HH Aug UY...and we are in the process of adding on 50 more HH Aug UY. Here are my thoughts.

If you buy multiple contracts that are around 150 points then UY can be different if you plan to use banking and borrowing to book at only one resort per trip. If you think you'll need to combine contracts to book one stay, it is best to have same UY. We recently did a trip to BCV (in Jan) and used our OKW and our HH points (2 different UY so 2 different member #s) to book and had 2 separate resies that were linked. We stayed in the same room but had to go to desk for new key to the world cards and the cleaning crew kept trying to get in to do a full room check out cleaning. Also because of the linked resies, we could not do online check in and had to wait and check in when we arrived at the resort.

Thoughts on resorts. SSR is a great deal going as the contracts are some of the lowest priced and the annual dues are lower. OKW isn't bad either. But calculate what the annual dues would be on the # of points you are looking at buying (I think you mentioned 160) and it may not be a huge difference between SSR and other resorts. I agree with those who say 'buy where you want to stay'. We prefer Epcot location and then after that we look at resorts that cost the least # of points to book a 2BR. BWV is good to own so that you can book the standard view villas and you need to book those well before the 7 month window. I wish our OKW were BWV points. We also own AKV since owning there allows you to book the value villas (the best deal at WDW). You will be able to get a place at the 7 month window (something...maybe not what you want but something)...sometimes folks even get places just 1 month out. The most likely places available at last minute are SSR, AKV and OKW as they are the largest properties at WDW. So it may be of benefit to own elsewhere since you should always be able to get into those 3 places. Another thing some folks look at is expiration of the resorts...OKW, BCV, BWV all expire soonest (2042)...this didn't really matter to me as we will be 69 then and likely will be done making trips to WDW (we hope to live near Disney one day).

I wouldn't buy VB since we'd not want to stay there (we went last summer and it was nice but not something we want/need to do again...HH is closer to home for us and there's way more to do at HH).

I am also thinking of picking up vb just to have some cheaper points... I don't plan on using them at vb or disney world but mainly at aulani. Can anyone. Tell me how aulani looks to book at the 7 month window?

I am also thinking of picking up vb just to have some cheaper points... I don't plan on using them at vb or disney world but mainly at aulani. Can anyone. Tell me how aulani looks to book at the 7 month window?

While VB has lower upfront cost, it has higher MFs so will be more costly in the long run. If you're not using them at VB or WDW and mainly at Ailuani - not sure why you're purchasing at all vs renting?

If you are sure buying is right for you, go for SSR or OKW vs VB.

Oh we vacation every year in Hawaii and will problems doing that years after disney has lost a little luster with my kids... I was looking at mf and vero is pretty high. So maybe not the best plan. Renting is ok idea but since it will be a long term maybe not... Renting and the cash price don't seem too different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter