Purchasing travel insurance independently

MommyBryn

DIS Veteran
Has anyone purchased their own travel insurance? If so, what did you find and how much did it cost? I am just beginning the search for this. We are considering renting DVC and if so, my parents (who are part of our large travel party, and also funding the accommodations) are farmers and so my dad wants something that could possibly provide a little bit of a safety net should something go wrong in the farm year before the vacation next January (considering renting DVC is non-refundable/no cancellations). I have looked at the one through David's (Travel Guard?) and got a quote of $500-700, but that's the only thing I've looked at so far.

think you will find more suggestions and response for this on the cruising forum.

You might consider just doing a package through Disney (rather than renting DVC) if you anticipate issues. That way, you can get a full refund direct from Disney.

You might consider just doing a package through Disney (rather than renting DVC) if you anticipate issues. That way, you can get a full refund direct from Disney.

We have always done a package, but it's a BIG package as there are 14 of us. We wanted to try DVC this time for a villa. The only thing he really wants insurance on is the cost of the villa (upwards of $10,000) because flights and tickets are another matter. He doesn't anticipate any issues, just wants a little bit of a safeguard should something happen as farming can be quite unpredictable.

Okay, thanks! So are most of those pretty reliable? The best options for me on travelinsurance . com are Allianz and Travelex. Most of them are SO much more affordable than Travel Guard! Like, under half the cost.

travelinsurance.com

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess my next question would be, if your parents aren't able to go, would the remaining 12 go without them?

We just went through this situation. I rented DVC points for a trip that was supposed to happen last month. I couldn't go for medical reasons and ended up in the hospital. We used Trutravel a nationwide company through the previous mentioned website. You have to buy the plan within 14 days of your initial deposit. They do sell cancel for any reason insurance and approved my claim.

I always buy my own insurance as the quotes I get from TA are always more. As I'm in a different country I can't help with companies I've used previously.

You can Google for trip insurance comparison websites. The most popular (including the one that ***'s out here on DIS) will be among the top 3 listed.

I think what will be key for your situation is getting a policy that will allow "cancel for any reason" and that usually has to be purchased within a few days of making initial deposit for any aspect of the trip. Cost will vary based on what you are insuring, as you will need to enter the value of what you are spending.

Enjoy your vacation!

Go to insure my trip (one word) dot com and compare policies. Call them if you have questions; they are very helpful. I do NOT recommend TravelGuard; they used to be okay but I had to file two very small claims with them and it was a nightmare dealing with them. I now generally go with TravelSafe.

Go to insure my trip (one word) dot com and compare policies. Call them if you have questions; they are very helpful. I do NOT recommend TravelGuard; they used to be okay but I had to file two very small claims with them and it was a nightmare dealing with them. I now generally go with TravelSafe.
Have you needed to file a claim with TravelSafe? If so, how did that go? Thanks.

We used the same website. If you have multiple people going from different states, they all need to be separate. We went on a trip with my parents and were told by the company we had to have two different policies. Cost will vary depending on the cost of the trip, the age of the travelers and the state. It was twice as much to insure my parents (late 60's, from NY) than it was to insure my DH and I (mid 30s) and our son (2) from VA.

One of the travel insurance comparison sites is Insure My Trip so see all the providers. We found CSA Travel Protection that way which for general travel (cruise, road trip, hotel, flights) has the most extensive coverages and their plans are affordable.
But for vacation rentals we found www.vacationrentalinsurance.com to be a better fit and less expensive.

If you have the Chase Reserve card, it includes travel insurance that matches a lot of the high cost insurance programs. The only short fall we saw in it was the illness benefit. We then purchase from AE Travel their trip insurance for $64 for $100,000 in coverage for illness for 2 of us for our 2 week trip to Germany. You can pick and choose what coverage you want to buy and you don't need a AE card to buy it.

Have you needed to file a claim with TravelSafe? If so, how did that go? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter