Purchased HHI Resale, Not Planning on Staying There

Yeah, it’s funny how folks tend to fall into camps. At the same time, you can have people say “I absolutely love XXX and stay there every trip and won’t stay anywhere else, so it had to be my home resort” while others will warn “if you do XYZ, you’ll find you may have to reserve at the same resorts every time and for me that just doesn’t work”. Lol

I have SSR for sleep around points and use those to add to the rooms I book using my RIV and BLT which secures me rooms when I know I want them.

Now retired, that time of year is being more of a travel time, and I had luck changing things, especially 1 bedrooms at 7 months using SSR.

I was able to move dates by a week so that really helped to get what I want,

I have SSR for sleep around points and use those to add to the rooms I book using my RIV and BLT which secures me rooms when I know I want them.

Now retired, that time of year is being more of a travel time, and I had luck changing things, especially 1 bedrooms at 7 months using SSR.

I was able to move dates by a week so that really helped to get what I want,

As I’ve said elsewhere, I’m sure I’ll be getting a home resort contract on property before too long, and I’ll do the very same thing.

I probably didn’t mention it before, but we actually like taking multiple smaller trips to the resort anyway. It breaks things up a bit and gives you a chance to “get away” more often. I also rack up TONS of airline miles on bi-coastal business trips, so airfare isn’t an issue.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I’m sure I’ll be getting a home resort contract on property before too long, and I’ll do the very same thing.

I probably didn’t mention it before, but we actually like taking multiple smaller trips to the resort anyway. It breaks things up a bit and gives you a chance to “get away” more often. I also rack up TONS of airline miles on bi-coastal business trips, so airfare isn’t an issue.

It’s a perfect plan!

I agree with what you said about multiple smaller trips vs week long stays. We typically only stay at WDW for 4 nights so we don’t need a large chunk of points at one particular resort to reserve longer stays. How long, room size and flexibility are all factors that need to be considered when choosing the right DVC resort and the number of points to buy.

I think it worth noting that no one of any sense buys VGC as sleeparound points. People buy VGC to stay at VGC, and the high cost is because it is literally the only game in town.

HHI has a low cost to buy because among Hilton Head timeshares it is not top tier, and the challenge of getting WDW units prompts sales among those who bought for WDW studios.

As a 1BR play, not in fall or at high holidays, HHI works better.

I think it worth noting that no one of any sense buys VGC as sleeparound points. People buy VGC to stay at VGC, and the high cost is because it is literally the only game in town.

HHI has a low cost to buy because among Hilton Head timeshares it is not top tier, and the challenge of getting WDW units prompts sales among those who bought for WDW studios.

I was thinking this too while reading the OP. VGC does not fit in the same category as HHI or Vero Beach - its not standalone, its at the original Disney theme park. People buy VGC to stay at VGC because they want to stay DVC at Disneyland.

Maybe Aulani fits the same bucket for those of us on the west coast. People in California travel to Hawaii the same way East Coasters go to FL or the Caribbean. We bought Aulani to stay there (we love it) but also will use as SAP at WDW.

I was thinking this too while reading the OP. VGC does not fit in the same category as HHI or Vero Beach - its not standalone, its at the original Disney theme park. People buy VGC to stay at VGC because they want to stay DVC at Disneyland.

Maybe Aulani fits the same bucket for those of us on the west coast. People in California travel to Hawaii the same way East Coasters go to FL or the Caribbean. We bought Aulani to stay there (we love it) but also will use as SAP at WDW.
I feel like the price on AUL makes it more likely as a SAP than VGC. You buy VGC to make 8/10 of your bookings at VGC. Aulani should probably still run about 50-50 or so, but at least buy in is lower.

I feel like the price on AUL makes it more likely as a SAP than VGC. You buy VGC to make 8/10 of your bookings at VGC. Aulani should probably still run about 50-50 or so, but at least buy in is lower.
Yes, agree.
In general with timeshares (pre-covid, DVC or not) I think buying somewhere you can get to in a "bad" year, or every other year, is a safe rule of thumb. For west coasters VGC is probably most accessible and Aulani is next. It's easier for us to take a quick trip to Hawaii than Florida. For those on the east coast the story is different, and Aulani would be a bad choice for SAP.

But, conversely, there are only 50 units at VGC, and if you've ever been in the Grand Californian, the Villas give you a beautiful view of the back side of DCA, or the Paradise Pier hotel across the street. I can't beleive that people (and we're talking locals here) are going to stay year after year in that same, place. Plus, you’re only talking two gates, so that might factor in yo adding variety too. They HAVE to be using some points elsewhere. Through sheer repetition and the scarcity of reservation slots, they have to be.
Maybe not the best corollary, but my point was that if you buy a contract at any off-property resort, you’re in the same boat re: booking windows, and buying points cheaply, as long as they spend the same, makes sense. I wasn’t suggesting people who buy into GCV did it for SAP points, just that if they DO decide to stay somewhere else, then those points carry a high opportunity cost. That’s all.

Last edited:
But, conversely, there are only 50 units at VGC, and if you've ever been in the Grand Californian, the Villas give you a beautiful view of the back side of DCA, or the Paradise Pier hotel across the street. I can't beleive that people (and we're talking locals here) are going to stay year after year in that same, pretty uninspiring place. Over snd over, with no variety. They HAVE to be using the points elsewhere. Through sheer repetition and the scarcity of reservation slots, they have to be.
Believe it or not, most VGC owners book VGC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!