Pumping in the Parks?

DisneyFanDC

Mouseketeer
Our son is a preemie and may never be able to nurse, but I am still pumping to keep up my milk supply for him. Does anybody have any experience with pumping in the parks? I am assuming that I can store the pump in a locker and pump in the baby care centers but would love to hear how others may have handled this predicament. TIA!

I pumped quite a few times on our last trip. I used my avent manual pump and just carried it with me. LOVE this pump more than the Medela! :thumbsup2

I pumped in the baby care centers and then just fed him that bottle next so I didn't have to worry about keeping it cool.

I pumped quite a few times on our last trip. I used my avent manual pump and just carried it with me. LOVE this pump more than the Medela! :thumbsup2

I pumped in the baby care centers and then just fed him that bottle next so I didn't have to worry about keeping it cool.

Thank you so much!

I didn't have to pump at WDW however if I had to, this is what I would have done for convienience. If I had a manual (which mine wasn't) then I would have just carried it with me. In the larger parks it could take you a 1/2 hour to get to the lockers and then you still would need to get to the Care Center and get settled in. Unless you are uncomfortable pumping in a bathroom that could be a much quicker option. I would use the map and map out where the family bathrooms are as they are individual bathrooms and nice and roomy. In that amount of time you could have already pumped and been well on your way or fed the bottle to your child. I'm honestly not sure just how comfy I would have been pumping in a bathroom, but I would have given it a shot. I had the Medela Pump In Style Advanced in the Metro Bag so I could thankfully just take the little electric pump and accessories with me and I'd store them in a big gallon zip lock bag when I was going to be away from home for extended periods of time so something like that would be easy to carry also. Also you can easily sanitize your accessories at WDW in the care centers if you buy the Medela sanitizer bags that go in the microwave as they have one in each center that you can use.
So again, I didn't pump at the parks, but this is what I would most likely have done. :flower3:

I didn't have to pump at WDW however if I had to, this is what I would have done for convienience. If I had a manual (which mine wasn't) then I would have just carried it with me. In the larger parks it could take you a 1/2 hour to get to the lockers and then you still would need to get to the Care Center and get settled in. Unless you are uncomfortable pumping in a bathroom that could be a much quicker option. I would use the map and map out where the family bathrooms are as they are individual bathrooms and nice and roomy. In that amount of time you could have already pumped and been well on your way or fed the bottle to your child. I'm honestly not sure just how comfy I would have been pumping in a bathroom, but I would have given it a shot. I had the Medela Pump In Style Advanced in the Metro Bag so I could thankfully just take the little electric pump and accessories with me and I'd store them in a big gallon zip lock bag when I was going to be away from home for extended periods of time so something like that would be easy to carry also. Also you can easily sanitize your accessories at WDW in the care centers if you buy the Medela sanitizer bags that go in the microwave as they have one in each center that you can use.
So again, I didn't pump at the parks, but this is what I would most likely have done. :flower3:

Disney has companion restrooms not "family restrooms". The companion restrooms are limited and quite often the only toilet a disabled person can use.

Disney has companion restrooms not "family restrooms". The companion restrooms are limited and quite often the only toilet a disabled person can use.
You are correct they are called companion restrooms, but just about all the bathrooms at Disney are able to accommodate for wheelchairs except for a few. I have traveled several times with wheelchair bound relatives and they never needed to use the companion restrooms. I only started using them when I had my DD6 so that I could have her in the bathroom with me and now with both kids we all go in together. I'll go, my DD6 will go and then I'm able to use the changing table to change DD1.

You are correct they are called companion restrooms, but just about all the bathrooms at Disney are able to accommodate for wheelchairs except for a few. I have traveled several times with wheelchair bound relatives and they never needed to use the companion restrooms. I only started using them when I had my DD6 so that I could have her in the bathroom with me and now with both kids we all go in together. I'll go, my DD6 will go and then I'm able to use the changing table to change DD1.

Sorry, this is not true. If you read on the disibilites board you will see how challenging some of the bathrooms are for some in wheelchairs. The moderator Sue has written quite a bit of the challenges her family has faced.

The companion restrooms are listed in the Guide for Disabilities:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/#/RESTROOMS FOR GUESTS WITH DISABILITIES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT

No help pumping at WDW but an EXPERENCED premature baby mom that pumped . Blessings and thumbs up to you for sticking with it!!!!!It's tough but so worth it.

how is your little one doing?
Are you sure that your doctor will ok a November trip for your premature infant??? DS was 16 weeks ealy and born in June and we were pretty much house bound most of that winter. We were not allowed church, malls ect during RVS season. Hope things have changed (been 18 years:) Good luck with your little one!!!!!

Agree with the PP who said speak to your doctor... RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus) http://www.cdc.gov/rsv/ is a risk with preemies in the winter time - with public / crowds in particular. All three of our kids were preemies and two of them needed shots (Palivizumab).

Sorry, this is not true. If you read on the disibilites board you will see how challenging some of the bathrooms are for some in wheelchairs. The moderator Sue has written quite a bit of the challenges her family has faced.

The companion restrooms are listed in the Guide for Disabilities:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/#/RESTROOMS FOR GUESTS WITH DISABILITIES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT
I have actually spent a bunch of time reading the disability boards while I was preparing trips for my relatives who have mobility issues. And again from our experience it was very rare that they had any issues with the bathrooms. CM's have actually recommended the companion bathrooms for parents with little kids so that you don't get split up. While they are handicap accessible they are also equipped with changing tables for parents who need some extra space.

i would love ideas on pumping in the park too - DisneyFanDC - thank you for posting this! i also have problems with bfing and can't really get the hang of it in public but it never occured to me that i could pump in the park!

does anyone know if there are outlets in the babycare centers where you could plug in the pump?

i would love ideas on pumping in the park too - DisneyFanDC - thank you for posting this! i also have problems with bfing and can't really get the hang of it in public but it never occured to me that i could pump in the park!

does anyone know if there are outlets in the babycare centers where you could plug in the pump?
Hi Wish- yes there are outlets in the babycare centers that you can use for pumping! During really busy times of years you could expect to wait although I've only ever hit the baby care centers a couple of times over the years where I actually have had to wait to go into the center (I also try to go off season though) so if it's during a high volume time, I recommend heading over there a bit before you expect to need to pump/feed baby if you can.

No help pumping at WDW but an EXPERENCED premature baby mom that pumped . Blessings and thumbs up to you for sticking with it!!!!!It's tough but so worth it.

how is your little one doing?
Are you sure that your doctor will ok a November trip for your premature infant??? DS was 16 weeks ealy and born in June and we were pretty much house bound most of that winter. We were not allowed church, malls ect during RVS season. Hope things have changed (been 18 years:) Good luck with your little one!!!!!

Hi, my ds was almost 12 wks premature and he's 7 now but we were told the same thing as this poster. His first trip to WDW was in May, when he was 13mos actual age, because we wanted to wait until we felt he was stronger and healthier. Also I was done pumping for him by that point, so I never had to worry about it. I think using a manual pump in the babycare center and then feeding your LO right away would be the easiest way to deal with this though. I don't think I'd want to worry about carrying around the big electric pump. jmo. Hope your LO is doing well! Big hugs there. :)

I had a tongue tied 34 weeker, so I was a champion pumper for a LONG time...you go mama, I know how hard it is!

I'm assuming you're pumping and then bottle feeding him, right? So no worries about storage?

I swore by my Avent Isis hand pump. Took it everywhere. I could pump with it in the front seat of the car in a parking lot, I pumped at a big state fair sitting on a bench, you name it. I just wore loose fitting tops. And it was in a small bag, I could just carry it in the stroller with no problem.

Good luck!

I never pumped in the parks either, but I did nurse in the parks, and I just wanted to say that there were several times when I was nursing DD in one of the baby care centers that there was another mom in there who was pumping. They do have outlets in the nursing rooms, so you wouldn't necessarily need a manual pump or batteries.

I did pump every day after going back to work with both my DD's and I had a Medela Pump In Style electric pump (the kind that is in the backpack). It would have been relatively easy to stick in the stroller basket and take through the parks until I needed it. There was plenty of space in the backpack to keep all the supplies that you need for pumping as well as a little cooler bag to keep the milk cool until you needed it.

Congrats on you little one and to pumping!
When my daughter was 4mths old I pumped in the parks! It was easy! We stored the pump in the lockers. In the parks I used the Baby Care Centers or the first aid stations. I liked the first aid stations better as I was always given a private room or curtained off area to pump.
If I was in a restaurant in a resort I used the stall closest to the outlet. I just plugged in a pumped. I also pumped in our car rental with the car adaptor.
I never had a problem pumping. The baby care centers have sinks with dish soap so you can also wash your pump parts. You can also use the nursing rooms in the baby care centers. I wasnt comfortable doing this but if you are ok with it, go for it!

In the airport, I used the companion bathroom.

I just wanted to say kudos to you for pumping :thumbsup2 I pumped for 8.5 months with my first son (and he was not premature, just issues latching well). It is such a challenge at first but with the routine it will become easier. Do you know how old your son will be during your trip?

When I went with my first he was 6 months old. At that point my supply was so well established that I was able to pump before we went to the park, mid-day break, before dinner, and before bed. I never saw a dip in my supply, in fact it was higher than normal. I think that was because I was on vacation, had my son with me 24 hours a day, and didn't have to worry about getting back to work.

If your supply is well established by the time you go, you should be able to adjust a little here and there. If it isn't, you could try to set up a schedule when you know you will go back to the room for breaks, snacks, or meals. Good luck to you and I wish you the best with your son.

It's not hard at all... I pumped all over Universal in March, and I'm sure WDW is even more accommodating. I did do a bit of overkill, though. I was renting a hospital grade Medela Symphony, so I took it, along with my Lansinoh double electric and my Medela manual pump. I would pump with the Symphony in the hotel room in the mornings and as soon as we got back to the room in the evenings and again before bed. I carried the Lansinoh into the park and stored it in a locker and used it in the baby centers at lunch time, and carried the manual in my backpack and used it in the restrooms a couple of times a day.

My daughter was 6 months old at the time, but we did not bring her along with us. She was a snacker, eating every two or so hours at home, so I was determined to keep that schedule on vacation. I didn't try to save the milk, and it KILLED me to pour it down the sink! :(

Just want to also offer a thumbs up for your commitment. I've nursed all over the park, but never had to pump. I wish you the very best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter