Pulling kids out of school for a WDW trip

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by aristocatz, Jan 28, 2019.

1. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

I was thinking about this thread today when I saw the Press Release that one of our local school districts is doing a truancy sweep today. I'll be interested to see how may uncaring parents get caught up in the sweep, and how many very caring parents who took their kids out of school for vacation get arrested.

2. tvguy

Public charges here too for sports transportation. A lot of parents here are now putting their kids in the school closest to their work, and opposed to closest to where they live.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

Mackenzie Click-Mickelson DIS Veteran

They had late buses where I was at as well. It was a blanket one though so let's say you were getting help from a teacher on homework or a test you could stay after and take the afterschool late bus. It could also be for student council or for sports, etc. I took the late bus when I was in middle school and was in art club (a club that my friends and I and the art teacher actually formed). Beyond the time that the last late bus left though you were on your own as far as transportation.

Not sure if they have that for elementary school though honestly.

5. Toolulu22

Toolulu22 Mouseketeer

Ok- so we have school districts that are attached to your geographic location. If you want to attend a specific school, you need to live within its borders. If you move out, you have to change schools.

The only time we have to pay for any extra curricular items is if our budget doesn’t pass, which is not often. However, the average Long Islander pays $8,000- 15,000 in school/property taxes per year. Yes, per year.

6. PollyannaMom

PollyannaMom I was a click-clack champ!!

Welcome to the DIS! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

This:

Our district has fees for these things and no "late bus". - Technically, sure, anyone can sign up for after school activities, but the kids who do are the ones with money and SAHMs, or other lucky arrangements.

I'm not saying we can actually make everything in school fair, nor that we completely should, or I agree that this happens:

But I think there's a place for a certain amount of this as well:

at least before we can really say "Everyone has the same opportunity to join whatever club/class/group they want."

TheFloatingBear likes this.
  7. tvguy

The geographic borders were what we had before. Yeah, I won't complain about about my $2,100 in property taxes (including the school tax) per year. Of course, my FIL similar sized house in Texas has $400 a year in property taxes, in a state with no state income tax.

8. LSUmiss

LSUmiss DIS Veteran

Thank you! That was originally what I was saying about the situation.

DopeyDame likes this.
  9. LSUmiss

LSUmiss DIS Veteran

I don’t know about your area, but here you might technically be truant after 10-15 unexcused absences; but no one is really going after anyone until it’s been way more like double that. It’s really only the extreme cases that get reported here. It’s also not a population who would even have the means to go on a wdw trip so that’s not why they’re missing.

10. Skellingtonj

Skellingtonj DIS Veteran

I especially love when someone asks about buying a car and it becomes a sahm vs working mom debate. That’s always fun to read

11. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

Here's the thing... I don't think anyone is really saying the bolded. Just like no one (ok, the majority by far) believes WDW is "educational". At least I don't believe that. I believe it is about money primarily. The state/school board looks for "butts in seats" for $$. I'm willing to wager if Johnny is off with the football team (or band, or chorus, or drama, or chess club, or FFA, or whatever), they are counted as "present". Maybe I'm wrong about that, and a school attendance officer can clarify. Therefore, just because they're not in class, they're still counted as "in class".

Now, maybe those who's children ARE involved in these extra curriculars take missing other days of school even more seriously and therefore try to limit them.

12. design_mom

design_mom probably more like my dad than I care to admit

There's no late bus at my kids school, nor was there at mine when grew up. In fact, I don't know of any district in our area that runs a late bus. When I was growing up, I didn't get to participate in many after-school activities because I didn't have transportation. I currently work from home so I'm able to handle transportation for my kids.

Our school has a pay-to-participate fee of $80 per activity per season. Some activities have an additional fee. There are usually some fundraising opportunities for the additional and the booster organization offers help in cases of financial hardship, but I don't know what or how much help. I have experience with cross country ($0 additional fee), track/field ($100/season fee--although the kids do get a windbreaker and the coaches gifts come out of that), and hockey ($1500).

Uniforms are usually borrowed from the school, but sometimes there are exceptions. Again, my experiences are with cross country and track (uniforms reused between sports -- boys get a jersey and shorts; girls get jersey only and have to provide their own shorts. I'm not sure why the difference.) Hockey (school provided jerseys and a cover to go over hockey pants. Kids had to buy uniform socks. Kids had to provide own pads, helmet, etc.). My daughter's planning to join marching band next year. I believe the school provides the main uniform, but we'll have to buy specific band shoes, as well as the "summer uniform" (shorts and a polo shirt).

Any overnight trips are student/booster club funded, not school funded at all.

TheFloatingBear and PollyannaMom like this.
  13. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

I remember when I was in HS 30+ years ago, I took an "Advanced PE" course. We took a day out of school and went skiing, a couple hours to go bowling, and a couple days to go to the Smoky Mountains for hiking. I guess to some, that was "unfair" to kids who weren't in the class.

Gumbo4x4 likes this.
  14. kc10family

kc10family <marquee><font color=cc00cc>Fly Chick</marquee><br

My kids have gone to a few different schools due to moving. One school was very supportive of family time during school days as long as the child was doing well, and the absences were not excessive. Another didn’t mind with advanced notice and the child doing well. Then there was the one that sent me over the edge and was the last straw for brick and mortar schooling for me. My husband had been deployed, he missed birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. When DH came home, we scheduled a week long family vacation. I told the teachers, they had no issue with it but when I told the principle, she told me the kids would get all 0’s for all days missed on the vacation. The district policy was clear about family vacations and that was that. We still went and I didn’t care because my kids were straight A students. I found out after that if I said it was a funeral or called them in sick every day, it would have been excused and they would have not gotten 0’s. I now school my kids at home.

Kids can learn so much from family vacations. I believe you can learn as much or more from real life interactions then sitting in a chair at school.

TheFloatingBear and PollyannaMom like this.
  15. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

PollyannaMom likes this.
  16. tvguy

Only 3 unexcused absences here. https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ai/tr/

17. Toolulu22

Toolulu22 Mouseketeer

That’s how it works here. We have to be in school 180 days minimum to teach, and two conference days. We lose vacation days if we have snow days. If we have an unusual amount of weather days ie. we lost a couple of weeks during Sandy, we lost spring vacation and had to petition the state to excuse the rest.

I have 5 teaching periods per day where I take attendace. Sometimes for a double period, I forget to take attendance for the second half (maybe once or twice a year I’ll forget). I’ll get a note from the Principal on those occasions reminding me of the importance because attendance goes right to the State. I guess my viewpoint is shaped by my district’s policy, because our Superindenent and Principal both remind us (teachers) constantly about NOT extending weekends, vacations, and not taking days off unless absolutely necessary. We have a really strong union, and they are on board with that policy.

Gumbo4x4 likes this.
  18. Toolulu22

Toolulu22 Mouseketeer

We are here until retirement, and then gone.

19. tvguy

Yeah, we debated moving to a cheaper state than California, but we just know too many people who regret pulling up roots when they retire. So we remodeled 5 years ago, and are working at getting a few loose ends (fencing, etc) in the next 2 years and hope to retire then.

20. LSUmiss

LSUmiss DIS Veteran

21. EMom

EMom <font color=red>Comes from a long line of all fork

Before anyone gets busy packing to move to Texas because of a $400 property tax bill, I'd like to point out that most people I know pay 5 figures in property taxes. Even a relative with a property valued at $80K pays close to $2000 per year.

Gumbo4x4 likes this.