Protecting Lax joints in crowds and queues?

dawnball

<font color=red>bouncie bouncie...<br><font color=
At the best of times, I have hypermobile joints. I also have knee instability and true knee locking. For my day to day life, keeping the muscles strong, avoiding stairs/uneven terrain, minimizing impacts and wearing a knee brace is usually sufficient. Y'all have much more collective experience than I do with this type of issue and Disney, though. Does anyone have suggestions for stepping up the protection of my knee?

A wheelchair or scooter has been suggested - it might be necessary for fatigue/pain reasons, but my impression is that it kind of leaves your knees sticking out like targets. I will skip all the stairs (and be very glad for project stardust reducing the curb count.)

My husband suggested a cane, and I'll have one to offload the knee some, but you hold a cane on the good side, so it isn't going to provide any protection.

I'm currently planning to ask someone in my group to stand on that side of me when space permits. Hopefully close enough no one tries to squeeze between us.

I'm thinking constant vigilance in queues, because kids do silly things, and a little bump is going to cause me more pain than it otherwise would.

Lots of self-care. We planned 5 park days, so I don't have to push myself beyond my endurance. I'm packing plenty of bags for ice packs so I can elevate my knee and ice it during meals. I'll have my TENS in the hotel. I'll bring all the tools to keep up with my PT.

Anything I'm missing?

If you have any concerns with fatigue I would get an ECV. Also it might help with your knee from getting bumped depending on how long your legs are and how the ECV is also having someone in your group ( or more if there is more people ) to make a little bubble around you. Pre show will be most hard to keep people from bumping into you so if you can find a corner ( close to the back of the room ) tends to be best.

If you have any concerns with fatigue I would get an ECV. Also it might help with your knee from getting bumped depending on how long your legs are and how the ECV is also having someone in your group ( or more if there is more people ) to make a little bubble around you. Pre show will be most hard to keep people from bumping into you so if you can find a corner ( close to the back of the room ) tends to be best.

Thanks! Fatigue isn't my primary concern, and an ECV will be a big hassle with a toddler who wants to cling to me like a barnacle in unfamiliar situations. I haven't ruled it out though. My hotel rents ecvs in the lobby, so it'll be pretty easy to grab one.

I hadn't thought of preshows, but hanging out in the back or using the stroller as a walker to block myself off from the crowd.

Thanks! Fatigue isn't my primary concern, and an ECV will be a big hassle with a toddler who wants to cling to me like a barnacle in unfamiliar situations. I haven't ruled it out though. My hotel rents ecvs in the lobby, so it'll be pretty easy to grab one.

I hadn't thought of preshows, but hanging out in the back or using the stroller as a walker to block myself off from the crowd.
If you have a stroller the only way it will be allowed in lines is if it is tagged as a wheelchair. Also first aids in each park is a great place if you need to lie down for a bit.

using the stroller as a walker to block myself off from the crowd
If you have a stroller the only way it will be allowed in lines is if it is tagged as a wheelchair.

I would think you could stop at Guest Relations to request a stroller-as-wheelchair tag, explaining why you want to use it as a "walker." No guarantees, it seems to be a reasonable request.

Enjoy your vacation!

I would think you could stop at Guest Relations to request a stroller-as-wheelchair tag, explaining why you want to use it as a "walker." No guarantees, it seems to be a reasonable request.

Enjoy your vacation!
Oops meant too add to stop in GR if the OP thinks it might help. Thanks for add that in.

I second seeing if you can get the Stroller as a Wheelchair tag. cant say you will be given one but I was able to get one in a situation similar to you. in an earlier post you mentioned about getting knee bumped with ECV. I have used one at times and it seemed like my knees were over the front wheel of 3 wheeled one I used. people would have bumped edge of ECV before bumping me. also in most lines and preshows you can remain on your ECV. PS I use my cane on my weak side but move it with my strong leg. but i find it a big help getting out of boat rides think Small World to help with balance and stepping up and out of boat. this is going to be one place where you will have trouble with a clinging toddler

Last edited:

If you think you might need a place to sit and rest from time to time, you could rent (or even purchase - they are fairly reasonably priced) a Rollator, which is a walker with a built-in seat. You only use the seat when not pushing the Rollator like a walker. Most Rollator-type devices have adjustable height handles, to help prevent fatigue, and you don't have to do the "granny stoop" while walking.

That might offer more protection to your knees, since it kind of creates a "cage" around your lower body area. If your hubby could push the stroller, then that leaves you free to use the Rollator, and a "bonus extra" is that your little person can sit on/with you when you take a break and use the seat! Also, they tend to have a storage basket under the seat - and who couldn't use a bit more storage at WDW! :) Bonus double extra points for the Rollator because it can go through queues easily.

In queues, just build that "bubble" - so let the folks ahead of you go a couple of paces ahead - and that helps prevent anyone from bumping backwards into you. You don't have to have a huge amount of space - just enough that you can feel safe.

And I totally second what @gap2368 said about First Aid - they are an *awesome* resource if you need an ice pack, some generic Tylenol, or even a place to lie down and rest or elevate your leg(s). Plus, the folks who work in them are amazing. :)

The ECV would also help navigate the rough terrain in the parks - AK has the textured walkways, the bridges that always seem bumpy, etc.

If you have a stroller the only way it will be allowed in lines is if it is tagged as a wheelchair. Also first aids in each park is a great place if you need to lie down for a bit.
Oh, yes. Stroller as a wheelchair was my plan. I know it isn't guaranteed, but my overall case is good. I have to go to GR to see about a DAS for another member of our greater group, so it isn't even inconvenient.

My PT recommended taping my knees to remind me not to hyperextend. When I lock my knees in to my straight position I’m much more likely to get injured if bumped.
Yeah, I've had close to 5 years of PT and it still feels unnatural not to lock my knees.

Thanks for the reminder it's dangerous, not just a bad habit.

My parents rent ECVs while at Disney. They are able to stay in them in most of the lines. When this is not possible, Disney has a group of wheelchairs you can transfer into to protect you from those around you bumping your knees. Although you may not use an ECV, I'm sure you could use one of the wheelchairs to protect your knees if it was helpful.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter