pros and cons? first-time cruiser

cmmam

I can see Disney World from here!
Hi all!

I am interested in hearing from disney goers about the pros and cons of going on the cruise vs going to the parks.

My H and I honeymooned at WDW in February. Unfortunately, I ruptured a disc on the second or third day of our trip and it was ruined.

I have a 15 year old DD from my first marriage. We promised her a family trip to Disney next year. We were going to do the combo package, but frankly we are concerned about the stress on my back. I am not sure what all the walking would do to me and I do not want to be the cause of yet another spoiled vacation.

Is the cruise more relaxing? If you go on the shore excursions, are their plenty of places to sit and rest? At this point, I am leaning towards just the cruise an waiting one more year for the parks.

Any insight you can offer would be very helpful.

TIA! An injured mommy.

cruising is infinitely more relaxing than going to the parks....You can choose to do many things onboard or onshore, or nothing at all. Cruising DCL is a unique, luxurious vacation that must be tried to be believed....

...as for shore excursions,you dont have to partake in any of them....Quite frankly, some are IMHO ridiculously expensive for what you get....you can have alot of fun just shopping and exploring...

We are definitely more of the shop and explore type than organized sight-see-ers!:p

I have to say that there is absolutely no comparison between 'parking' & 'cruising'.
Since you were there recently you know that going to the parks, although a wonderful, extremely fun & magical experience, it is also extremely exhausting both physically and mentally - at least at the pace we do it.
If you are in fear of not being able to handle it, I would highly recommend that you cruise instead.
You will absolutely love the cruise. It is relaxing and only as strenuous as YOU make it. Other than CC, we don't partake of any of the other excursions. Even on CC you can choose to do only what you want - even if it's just relaxing on the beach all day!

You know your limitations, but possibly you could do the parks just a day or so? Otherwise, I'd put it off & do the cruise - as long as you can!!!

I have also been to the parks and on the cruise, and I prefer the cruise. It is much more relaxing, the activities are varied, the service is A-ONE. As for the shore excursions, they are not all physically demanding. There is plenty to choose from. Your 15 yr old will probably have a blast with the teen club, and they even have excursions for the teens only!

IMHO, go with the cruise. You won't regret it!!

Ursula

I agree, go with the cruise. My DW 49 had hip replacement surgery this past February. There would have been no way we could have done the parks this year, so we opted for the cruise. We loved the cruise so much, that we booked for the same time period next year. As we are approaching our "Golden Years" we think it's "cruising" for us more than "parking" for us. We are however going to spend a day or two at WDW before our cruise next summer!!!

We have done both and I think there is no comparision. Yes the parks are exciting and fun but I always feel like I need a vacation from my vacation after going there. We spend the time in a whirlwind running here and there trying to see it all...
Now the cruise you can do as much or as little as you want. (yes I know that is true in theroy at the parks but they are sooo enticing)There is nothing more relaxing than sitting on your veranda with a glass of wine and a good book. Or at night when you are at sea and there is nothing but blackness all around and you hear the gentle lapping of the waves as the ship moves towards a tropical paradice...(ahh lost in the memory ;) )
As for excursions they have many different types that can be very physical to not at all. You can also just skip the excursions and explore on your own. I can tell you that we love it so much that I start planning the next years cruise even before I go on the current years one. you would love it!

I went home and had a family meeting last night. We have decided to skip the park this year and just try the cruise. We are very excited. Once we explained to DD that she will have more freedom on the ship than she would ever get in the parks, she was all for it!:teeth:

Now if I can just get them to decide when to go...:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice! It makes me feel much better!

If you want to relax, the cruise is the way to go. It was the most restful vacation we have ever had. If you do the seven night Western itenerary, I highly suggest the Rum Point Beach Adventure excursion. It is several hours of peace and rest in the paradise of the Cayman Islands, and some excellent snorkeling. The great thing about the cruise is that you can do as little or as much as you like. It is entirely up to you.

After out first Land and sea vacation in Feb of 2000 my DD's then, 10 and 8 said, "Dad, it was nice to go to the parks but, we would rather do the ship again!" We booked a 7 nighter right away.......it got cancelled. (Nov. 30, 2002) I got a "deal" on a "Beaches Nagril" vacation for spring break 2004 and DD's now 13 and 11 said they would rather do another Disney cruise.....that will be their fourth!!!!

The only 'con' i can think of is that you will be hooked on cruising, and will need to hurry up and book and pay for another cruise...HA!HA!HA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter