• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Propane Tank Deposit Refund?

Micca

SAHG: Stay At Home Grandfather
Getting ready for a move cross-country, and somebody told me that if I take my empty Blue Rhino propane tank to Walmart, they will give me a coupon for the amount of the deposit I originally paid 5 years ago(I think it was about $20-$30). My understanding is that the coupon is good at any Walmart so when I arrive in my new city, I'd pay only for the propane refill and not for the deposit. Sounds like a good deal, almost too good to be true. Has anyone here done this? TIA. :)

114 views and no replies? Perhaps this is a very arcane question? If anyone knows, I'd appreciate an answer. If I find out, I'll let you know.:)

Getting ready for a move cross-country, and somebody told me that if I take my empty Blue Rhino propane tank to Walmart, they will give me a coupon for the amount of the deposit I originally paid 5 years ago(I think it was about $20-$30). My understanding is that the coupon is good at any Walmart so when I arrive in my new city, I'd pay only for the propane refill and not for the deposit. Sounds like a good deal, almost too good to be true. Has anyone here done this? TIA. :)

I've never heard of it. Guess I'd call WalMart or contact Blue Rhino - http://www.bluerhino.com/BRWEB/

I would assume you would get some sort of credit for the tank, if you don't take a refill tank immediately.

Try Wal-mart, Lowes, Home Depot or any other place that does exchanges.

Can't help you as I've only paid the deposit on one, then instead of swapping $23 for a not full tank, I get it completely filled locally for $12.

Just got off the phone with Blue Rhino, here's what I learned. When we make our original Blue Rhino purchase, we're actually buying the tank and the propane, it's not a deposit. Because federal law prohibits the transport of the tanks across state lines, they have an offer for customers. I will return the empty tank to any Blue Rhino location. When I get to my new city, if I buy another filled tank, I can send the receipt to Blue Rhino and they send a $20 gift certificate good for future refills. Not a bad deal. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter