Promise/Engagement Ideas & Help

ptmoberg

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I'm looking for some....okay A LOT of help and from what I've been able to find on my own, this looks like a great place for it.

My name is Paul and my girlfriend Krystin and I are scheduled for a vacation at Disney World from AUG 26-31 2007. This was a last minute decision, as I booked the trip over the weekend. She is well aware of the vacation and is excited.

Prior to the trip, I was thinking about engagement ideas and to be honest, I wasn't impressed with what I found. With the Disney trip now planned, I was thinking maybe someone would have good ideas to do on Disney property. I realize due to the last-minute planning, that reservations/bookings might be difficult.

Unfortunately, I will not have an engagement ring ready by the time of the trip. Has anyone ever run into this? Do you do a promise ring or should I simply scrap the Disney idea and wait until the ring is ready?

I realize this is personal preference, though I welcome all thoughts and ideas.

Thanks from a guy who wants to make his girlfriends day special.

Paul

Paul, my fiance didn't have a ring when he proposed, nor did my MOH get a ring when she was proposed to. I think it is all about the wording. When you propose tell her that you wanted to do it at Disney, and because of the short notice you couldn't get a ring. She might want to help pick her ring out anyways. (And you know that she has been eyeing those rings in the mall. :lmao: ) You could also just buy her a glass slipper too, or something else Disney. As for idea of the proposal, if you don't have a ring (or something to give) I would suggest to keep it kinda low key. I think Wishes is always a good choice to propose to. You could watch Wishes at the Poly beach or GF marine, etc. I definitely wouldn't scrap the proposal just because you don't have a ring. You will just have to be a little creative, and at Disney that is easy to do.

Prior to the trip, I was thinking about engagement ideas and to be honest, I wasn't impressed with what I found. With the Disney trip now planned, I was thinking maybe someone would have good ideas to do on Disney property. I realize due to the last-minute planning, that reservations/bookings might be difficult.

Just reread this. Did you mean that you aren't impressed with the Disney engagement packages (i.e. Cinderella's Royal Table, etc.)? If that is the case, who is her favorite character or what is her favorite ride? Maybe you could have her favorite character tell her that you don't have a ring but wants to ask you to marry him anyways. Also, you could ask her in front of her favorite ride with a souvenier from that ride. Just thoughts. Hope this helps

I was unaware that Disney had engagement packages! Where can I get more information on them?

I would say that you should do something that suits her tastes. Look into the Gifts of a Lifetime website. You could always get a mickey ring when you both get there... so there is a ring, but with the knowledge that the real ring is on its way.

I second the idea of a symbolic ring - something sterling silver with a mickey on it possibly - just to complete the "feeling" of a proposal, and still let her know the real ring is on the way. That way she can always keep and wear her "first" engagment ring. If she's not into wearing mickey stuff, some of the shops in EPCOT have jewelry - lots of sterling silver in Italy and I think in China maybe.

Another idea would be to propose with Mickey and Minnie bride and groom ears. These would be a little hard to hide until the big moment, but would definitely fit the right feeling.

Another idea for something to give her could be pearl earrings. Or something else that she could wear on your wedding day. So she will be able to have that special item with her when you say i do.

We got engaged at Disney a few weeks ago. My now fiance snuck away while we were shopping on Main Street in MK and went to the watch store (can't remember the name, Uptown Jewelers I think) and bought a temporary ring, it is three clear stones in the shape of a Mickey head. I thought it was just perfect, a symbol of his love for me and our mutual love of all things Disney. He proposed on our balcony while we were watching the Wishes fireworks. It was very special and perfect. So no matter where or when you do it, you will know when the time is right and she will always remember it no matter what you do. Good luck!:goodvibes

First off, thank you to everyone that has replied to my thoughts and questions. Your support and ideas are helping to push me along in moving this idea forward.

That being said, I am working on ideas for the promise/temporary ring right now (unfortunately, I can't get the e-ring ready in a month!). I'll admit that I am lost when it comes to jewerly. I'd like something non-Disney and something that won't upstage the e-ring.

Any suggestions or guidelines?

Thanks Again!!!

Paul

First off, thank you to everyone that has replied to my thoughts and questions. Your support and ideas are helping to push me along in moving this idea forward.

That being said, I am working on ideas for the promise/temporary ring right now (unfortunately, I can't get the e-ring ready in a month!). I'll admit that I am lost when it comes to jewerly. I'd like something non-Disney and something that won't upstage the e-ring.

Any suggestions or guidelines?

Thanks Again!!!

Paul

How about either a pearl one or a birthstone. There are some simple and beautiful pieces at most jewlery stores. Just make sure it is something she would wear - on her right hand.

ETA: I wouldn't buy a promise or diamond ring though - too much confusion. She may think it is her "real" ring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter