Problems with Availability??

followme2disney

Mouseketeer
Has anyone experienced many problems with availability for the resort of your choice? Are the studios easy to get? And what is the cancellation policy like? We are thinking about buying in and are trying to ease our minds in advance. Thanks!

There is never any problem getting what you want if you use the eleven month window. You can only use the eleven month window at your home resort. That is why it is so important to buy where you plan to stay most often.

At the top of the page is a DVC FAQ, many questions are answered in that.

Studios go first, still, using the eleven month window will get you whatever you want.

Most of the time like Rich says, w/ your 11 month window you are ok w/ the exception of Std. View Studios/One Bdrms at the BWV's due to the low pts. I'm on a wait list for the std view studio for December and I called at the 10 1/2 month mark :( . I wouldn't let that sway my buying into DVC though. There is always a beautiful resort to stay at regardless of when you make plans. JMHO

We have also had to change ressies last minute. Once to add days and once to delete days. Have never had a problem with either, but then we don't do the hotel type DVCs, so that might make it easier.

Many times of the year, you would be able to get in just fine at the 7 month window. However, there are certain times of the year that the 11 month window becomes very important. Some DVC guides, though not all, will gloss over that point and lead you to believe that it's never a problem. However, our very own CarolAnnK here ended up purchasing an additional BWV resale just because she wasn't able to get into the BWV using her OKW points two years in a row in December. So, I agree with what Rich said above, Buy where you wanna stay the most. That may even become more important 20 years down the road as more members join the club.

While I go along with the idea to buy where you want to stay, that only matters when you are making your reservation with the home resort priority, currently 11-7 months out. I have had great luck getting what I want even on fairly short notice and quite often well into the 7 month period. If you are flexible with all the WDW options, your chances are even greater of getting the time period you want if not necessarily your first choice of resort.

Cancellation is pretty flexible. If you cancel more than 31 days out, there is no penalty. If you cancel 30 days-1 day, your points can be used again but only to make a reservation 60 days in advance of your travel. There are some considerations about how points can be used based on your Use Year....but that is getting into the "nuts & bolts" and I suggest you read the FAQ and then ask further questions.

So....is all of December a problem for availability? (We were thinking of renting points for a stay from Dec 17-23.):confused:

Early December is popular because points are low and the holiday decorations are up. It has also become a time when many Internet groups also choose to meet up at WDW. The member meetings are also held at this time of year and some folks like to work that into their plans. Christmas Week itself is always very, very popular and tough to get.

Short answer -- yes, all of December is difficult to book. However, it's not impossible and if you start working on it early, someone may be able to arrange to rent you the points you need.

Originally posted by Tigger Fans!
So....is all of December a problem for availability? (We were thinking of renting points for a stay from Dec 17-23.):confused:

December is very popular with DVC members. If you want to rent points, my advice is to find someone ASAP to make the reservation for you. I believe there is still availability at some (maybe all) of the DVC resorts for that time period. The only thing that is probably out of the question is a standard view (any size room) at BWV. That said, don't wait much longer or you will lose the opportunity to rent points for that time period.

Good luck!

.....and I thought I had MONTHS to figure out when I was going! Is the week of Thanksgiving any better?

Originally posted by Tigger Fans!
.....and I thought I had MONTHS to figure out when I was going! Is the week of Thanksgiving any better?

Nope! Not if you are planing to rent points.

You do have quite a bit more time if you will be making a cash reservation through CRO or WDTC, though.

Cancellation is flexible - but because of the points system, you have to be aware of the "gotchas"

If you are past your banking window, you'll need to fit your replacement trip in before the end of your use year or you will loose your points. If you are traveling on banked or borrowed points already - you will need to use those points during your use year because they can't be "unborrowed" or "rebanked"

So DVC isn't flexible for people who can't be flexible.

We'd have to rent points -- the cost to stay on a cash reservation is so high! The problem I'm having with tying down the date is trying to find a good airfare. Maybe I'll try Priceline again for the travel portion.
Thanks for your insights!:earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter