• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Private table at MDR...early vs late

88golf88

DisneyKid@27
Has anyone had more success when requesting a private table either at the main seating time or the later time for a party of 2? My assumption would be the later time would tend to have less large families and may increase the odds just a touch. My wife and I are on the fence and see the pros and cons of both times for us as far as shows go plus Castaway Cay day and being back on the ship in time to get ready. So, I would be willing to listen to any and all recommendations or pros/cons of both times for a party of 2.

We've never tried, but there are more families at early which would suggest the ability to get a smaller private table should be easier then.

Has anyone had more success when requesting a private table either at the main seating time or the later time for a party of 2? My assumption would be the later time would tend to have less large families and may increase the odds just a touch. My wife and I are on the fence and see the pros and cons of both times for us as far as shows go plus Castaway Cay day and being back on the ship in time to get ready. So, I would be willing to listen to any and all recommendations or pros/cons of both times for a party of 2.

Many people seem to prefer early dining, which would leave less diners requesting late seating. That would lead me to believe that it's easier to get a private table at late dining.

We've never tried, but there are more families at early which would suggest the ability to get a smaller private table should be easier then.
That strikes me as counterintuitive. There appears to be more demand for main (that is, early) dining than late dining because of the families requesting it, and there seem to be many reports of cruisers who are wait-listed for main dining because only late dining was available at the time they booked their cruise. I don’t remember a post reporting someone being wait-listed for late dining.

All that said, we have generally been accommodated with a table for two at early dining on most of our cruises on the Magic and Wonder. On the Fantasy, we didn’t request a table for two until our most recent cruise last November, and we were again accommodated.

I don’t think it will be hard for with one. They just push tables together for larger parties. Even if you have your own table there is about 12 inches between the tables. Lol
F5683459-0790-456D-B57B-80778789657A.jpeg

We always have late dining and always request a private table and have always gotten it.

Is there a way to find out ahead of the fist dinner if your request was granted? Or you just walk up that night and hope it’s a private table? Could be awkward...

We're a family of four; we prefer late dining and have never been denied a request for a private table. That said, the tables are often so close together that you might as well be table mates with your neighbors. Luckily, we've always had great neighbors. :)

Is there a way to find out ahead of the fist dinner if your request was granted? Or you just walk up that night and hope it’s a private table? Could be awkward...
Go to where the dining changes are being handled once you board the ship. They can check the table set up for you.

there may be more demand for main dining, but if the ship is full then both seatings are probably full as well... and I'm pretty sure that Disney sails with mostly full ships most of the time.

In addition except for maybe pushing a few tables together for larger parties, the table setups do not significantly change between early and late dining, so the dining table makeup is the same.

So I would say that unless the ship is really undersold that your chances are not significantly higher at late than early dining... more people may WANT early dining but only about half the ship can have it.

There are probably more parties of 2 at late dining that balance out any fewer overall people.

That said I think I might request one at main dining for myself and my son. Not for over a year so whether I get it or not will probably not be helpful information!

there may be more demand for main dining, but if the ship is full then both seatings are probably full as well... and I'm pretty sure that Disney sails with mostly full ships most of the time.
In our experience, the exceptions to this have been the small number of longer repositioning cruises, EBTA, WBTA, EBPC, and WBPC. Although all staterooms might be occupied, the total number of passengers is definitely fewer than on a shorter itinerary. Most notable are the smaller number of families with school-age children (there are always some, of course, home schoolers and families who take their children out of school for the educational benefits of travel, which I support). Still plenty of pre-schoolers, but overall lower numbers. On our most recent EBTA, I think there were between 2000 and 2100 passengers, well below capacity on the Magic.

In our experience, the exceptions to this have been the small number of longer repositioning cruises, EBTA, WBTA, EBPC, and WBPC. Although all staterooms might be occupied, the total number of passengers is definitely fewer than on a shorter itinerary. Most notable are the smaller number of families with school-age children (there are always some, of course, home schoolers and families who take their children out of school for the educational benefits of travel, which I support). Still plenty of pre-schoolers, but overall lower numbers. On our most recent EBTA, I think there were between 2000 and 2100 passengers, well below capacity on the Magic.
On our DCL Hawaii cruise there were so few passengers that one of the dining rooms was closed for second seating every night. No one on that rotation.

For our cruise a few weeks ago I requested a table for 2 for main dining. When we got on the ship I checked with the dining reservations table in Azure and we were not given a private table. Our head server said he would see what he could do and would call us around 4 pm. He called and said he had a private table but would have to change to late dining. We made the switch and were happy with it.

On our DCL Hawaii cruise there were so few passengers that one of the dining rooms was closed for second seating every night. No one on that rotation.
Interesting because the Hawaii cruises are sold out this year.
Do you think more couples were sailing without kids so more cabins with just 2 people?

In my 10+ cruises I've always requested my own table (late seating) and received it each time. I've never had any problems requesting my own table. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter