• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Prints from film negatives?

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
I have a few missing photos in some of my old albums. They are the ones I took out to cut up and use in my scrapbooks years ago telling myself I'd reprint from the negatives and replace them. Of course I never did but now I wanted to.

Walgreens no longer does any prints from film negatives. Any suggestions on places I might do this? Or is there an easy way to scan a negative and print digitally?

The problem of course is that the only ones I did this to are my very favorite shots. :laughing:

I have a few missing photos in some of my old albums. They are the ones I took out to cut up and use in my scrapbooks years ago telling myself I'd reprint from the negatives and replace them. Of course I never did but now I wanted to.

Walgreens no longer does any prints from film negatives. Any suggestions on places I might do this? Or is there an easy way to scan a negative and print digitally?

The problem of course is that the only ones I did this to are my very favorite shots. :laughing:

Have you checked with a local camera shop? I know the one here still will print negatives.

Have you checked with a local camera shop? I know the one here still will print negatives.

Thanks for your reply!

That's actually where I ended up with this yesterday. I spent some time calling around and was told there were 2 camera shops in town that will still do it. I wasn't very excited about driving across town (half hour each direction, possibly twice if they were busy and couldn't do it while I waited) to get just a couple of prints. It's funny but after I mentioned it was just a couple prints, the shop I was going to use finally suggested a place closer to me. Turns out there's a very small camera supply shop less than a mile from my house who can do it. Who the heck knew? I've never noticed it there. How on earth I never knew it was there is beyond me.

Before I came up with that information, I spent some time trying to scan the negative on my standard Epson scanner. That was an abject failure! :laughing: I figured out how to invert the image in Lightroom, but never got a scan of even remotely acceptable quality.

I'm thinking I need to take a little time and fill back in the holes in my photo albums with new prints before the last few places in town stop printing.

Thanks for your reply!

That's actually where I ended up with this yesterday. I spent some time calling around and was told there were 2 camera shops in town that will still do it. I wasn't very excited about driving across town (half hour each direction, possibly twice if they were busy and couldn't do it while I waited) to get just a couple of prints. It's funny but after I mentioned it was just a couple prints, the shop I was going to use finally suggested a place closer to me. Turns out there's a very small camera supply shop less than a mile from my house who can do it. Who the heck knew? I've never noticed it there. How on earth I never knew it was there is beyond me.

Before I came up with that information, I spent some time trying to scan the negative on my standard Epson scanner. That was an abject failure! :laughing: I figured out how to invert the image in Lightroom, but never got a scan of even remotely acceptable quality.

I'm thinking I need to take a little time and fill back in the holes in my photo albums with new prints before the last few places in town stop printing.

I need to do exactly what you are doing. I have heard that there are scanners that will do this "easily." I have not yet tried any. I also know there is place here that specializes in doing transfers from analog to digital - movies, slides, pix, and negatives. That might be another option for you.

My Epson V600 software includes a setting for color negatives. It did a fair job without much work.
But as the saying goes, "if there are no photos it didn't happen" so here is one:

yose%20valley.jpg

I need to do exactly what you are doing. I have heard that there are scanners that will do this "easily." I have not yet tried any. I also know there is place here that specializes in doing transfers from analog to digital - movies, slides, pix, and negatives. That might be another option for you.

I picked up my prints a week ago. And honestly, they did a terrible job. I should take them back and ask them to try again. They were way overexposed, and I know the shots were not. I think I'll probably just be patient and take them to the other place further away when I can find the time.

I have no chance of ever digitizing all of my negatives. And pulling out the select ones I want to digitize would take forever. For now, I'll just settle for the scans from prints that I'm making as I scrapbook. For the most part, those are the best shots anyway, so I'll have those digitized at least.

My Epson V600 software includes a setting for color negatives. It did a fair job without much work.
But as the saying goes, "if there are no photos it didn't happen" so here is one:

yose%20valley.jpg

Nice shot of Half Dome! I would be happy with that result. Unfortunately my scanner is fairly new so I probably won't have the chance to get a new one any time soon (hopefully!). Plus, I like the Epson All-In-Ones. Not sure if any of them have settings for negatives. But definitely something to keep in mind down the road.

I picked up my prints a week ago. And honestly, they did a terrible job. I should take them back and ask them to try again. They were way overexposed, and I know the shots were not. I think I'll probably just be patient and take them to the other place further away when I can find the time.

I have no chance of ever digitizing all of my negatives. And pulling out the select ones I want to digitize would take forever. For now, I'll just settle for the scans from prints that I'm making as I scrapbook. For the most part, those are the best shots anyway, so I'll have those digitized at least.

Nice shot of Half Dome! I would be happy with that result. Unfortunately my scanner is fairly new so I probably won't have the chance to get a new one any time soon (hopefully!). Plus, I like the Epson All-In-Ones. Not sure if any of them have settings for negatives. But definitely something to keep in mind down the road.

Sorry they did such a lousy job.

Sorry they did such a lousy job.

Thanks. It was disappointing. I tried scanning and adjusting in Lightroom, but I forgot just how little I can do with a jpeg. I'm honestly not sure why they thought it was ok. But I only spent 45 cents there, so didn't feel like complaining at the time.

I scan mine and make prints. My Epson has a light in the lid for negatives and in the software it lets me control the exposure when I scan as well as tweak color and contrast. It makes a huge difference when scanning negatives. Then I save that as TIFF to help avoid loss. I use an old Epson 4870 Photo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter