Princess Weekend 2022

My question is, should I continue on the week I’m on until I get through each run as scheduled or just move on to the next week? I’m planning on my long run tomorrow so if I stick with the current week schedule it would be a 2nd 10k or if I move to “next week” it would be an 8-mile.

I'd say "it depends". In this particular case, I would say move on and continue on plan because it sounds like you missed one or two days at the most. If you miss more than 5 days in a row of running, or you start to string together multiple weeks where you miss a run here or there, then the calculus changes. That's when you'd need to start considering that you haven't properly prepared your body for continuing to move on to the next week. A lot of people get hung up on the long run, or the single longest run of the plan. But what is far more important is the totality of the plan. The single longest run contributes something like 1-2% to the plan as a whole. But each of those small little runs along the way collectively is more like 40-60% of the plan. Hope that makes sense and let me know if you need a clarification.

I'd say "it depends". In this particular case, I would say move on and continue on plan because it sounds like you missed one or two days at the most. If you miss more than 5 days in a row of running, or you start to string together multiple weeks where you miss a run here or there, then the calculus changes. That's when you'd need to start considering that you haven't properly prepared your body for continuing to move on to the next week. A lot of people get hung up on the long run, or the single longest run of the plan. But what is far more important is the totality of the plan. The single longest run contributes something like 1-2% to the plan as a whole. But each of those small little runs along the way collectively is more like 40-60% of the plan. Hope that makes sense and let me know if you need a clarification.

Ok yes that makes sense. Thanks so much!

Newbie training question: Princess Half will be my first half marathon. I started a training plan through Nike Run Club that is a 14 week plan but I started it with a little cushion time so I really had like 15.5 weeks to do it. This week has gotten a little off track with work/family so I haven’t gotten in as many runs as I was supposed to. My question is, should I continue on the week I’m on until I get through each run as scheduled or just move on to the next week? I’m planning on my long run tomorrow so if I stick with the current week schedule it would be a 2nd 10k or if I move to “next week” it would be an 8-mile.
Hope that makes sense. 🤔
Personally, I would move on, especially if you just missed a couple of runs and not the whole week. I usually build my training schedule with an extra week or so as a buffer in case of illness or injury, similar to the buffer you currently have. For me, this would be too early in the training plan to eat that buffer. You still have a couple of months and holidays coming up, and who knows if you might really need it. If not, you have a bit of an extra taper, and that is a nice feeling too!

Calling all running royals!

Anyone have any idea if they are gonna make ADR's for Princess Weekend? My ADR reservation date is coming up (Dec 25th - you can't invent that stuff) and I'm wondering which restaurants I should try to get, as a solo traveller. I'll be at HH for our meetup of course, but otherwise?

My list of potentials:
- Hollywood Brown Derby
- Homecomin'?
- Toledo on Sunday night for a celebratory dinner with my husband and two kids?

I'm open to anything if anyone else has suggestions, being without kids (like a lounge of sorts). I'll also be the opposite of a night owl since I have 3 early morning wakeups

I know I’m doing a Beaches & Cream lunch after the half, and probably a meal at Sci-Fi at some point.

I’ve got the Christmas Day ADR wake-up too. I figure it’ll give me time to do my run before anyone else if up and ready for presents.

Anyone have any idea if they are gonna make ADR's for Princess Weekend? My ADR reservation date is coming up (Dec 25th - you can't invent that stuff) and I'm wondering which restaurants I should try to get, as a solo traveller. I'll be at HH for our meetup of course, but otherwise?

My list of potentials:
- Hollywood Brown Derby
- Homecomin'?

I'm open to anything if anyone else has suggestions, being without kids (like a lounge of sorts). I'll also be the opposite of a night owl since I have 3 early morning wakeups
Homecomin' is great, and can be very carby if you order that way. IMO really good choice as a brunch for after the half if you can get it.
I've never traveled solo so I can't speak specifically to restaurants that are good for that, but I'll bet it's easier to get a spot in a lounge or at the bar of a restaurant if that's what you want? I think our ADR day is the 27th so I'm a few days after you. I'm still scanning for 'Ohana during MW and haven't even thought about Princess Weekend yet. My DS wants to get that new 50th anniversary giant share-able ice cream dish at The Plaza, so I'm sure we will try to book that for dinner one night.

My list of potentials:
- Hollywood Brown Derby
- Homecomin'?

MY ADR day is the same! With 2 kiddos, it's definitely not ideal but oh well!

Hi PHM runners!

FOMO party of 1 over here (well, actually, party of 4). I’ve been monitoring the runDisney site for the 5k to open back up.

If you were betting people, do you thinkthe 5k will open up at this point? Or should I close the tab and stop refreshing?

Is there a meetup planned for the weekend? If so, it is possible to update the first post of the thread with the details? Thanx!

If you were betting people, do you thinkthe 5k will open up at this point? Or should I close the tab and stop refreshing?

If I truly were a betting man, I'd say the odds are not in your favor. We're past the POT deadline, and usually don't see much movement anymore. But I guess, it's not impossible.

Is there a meetup planned for the weekend? If so, it is possible to update the first post of the thread with the details? Thanx!

Saturday, 2/26/22, at 2:30pm-4:30pm at Hurricane Hannah's at Beach Club (link).

Homecomin' is great, and can be very carby if you order that way. IMO really good choice as a brunch for after the half if you can get it.

This. And if you go at the "right" time the brunch and lunch menus overlap and you'll have ALLLLLLL of the choices. SIL and I ate there when we went on our "princess weekend" this year and I can recommend the blueberry mimosas (which are a brunch-only item.)

DH and I are having brunch there after the half for MW.

Question about training:
My Run with Hal program has me running my longest long run (12 miles) the Saturday before Princess weekend. I am doing all 3 races. Would it be better to do a shorter long run that weekend and move the 12 miler to 2 weekends before Princess? Thanks for any advice.

And as for ADR’s, I would like to try Storybook Dining at Artist Point. I always do Boma for breakfast the day before the half. Looking forward to that.

Question about training:
My Run with Hal program has me running my longest long run (12 miles) the Saturday before Princess weekend. I am doing all 3 races. Would it be better to do a shorter long run that weekend and move the 12 miler to 2 weekends before Princess? Thanks for any advice.

And as for ADR’s, I would like to try Storybook Dining at Artist Point. I always do Boma for breakfast the day before the half. Looking forward to that.

Hal Higdon programs are tried and true standards. I wouldn’t recommend altering it without an absolute need to. You’ll be fine running the challenge as the program is written. The one thing I would suggest, though, is allocating some of the Higdon mid-week mileage in the last week of the program to the first two challenge races so that you don’t end up with too large an excess of mileage for the week.

Hal Higdon programs are tried and true standards. I wouldn’t recommend altering it without an absolute need to. You’ll be fine running the challenge as the program is written. The one thing I would suggest, though, is allocating some of the Higdon mid-week mileage in the last week of the program to the first two challenge races so that you don’t end up with too large an excess of mileage for the week.

True. I will say I usually create a taper-ish week for that week and bump the 12 miler to 2 weeks before race day. I do this for a couple of reasons. First, I am not a spring chicken and it takes me longer to recover than it used to. Second, if I get hurt or something tweaks, I have a cushion to take a couple of extra days off toward the end of the training cycle without feeling like I am cutting out anything important. I try not to mess with the plan itself otherwise. My tweaks are equivalent to adding a cutback week the week before the actual taper.

True. I will say I usually create a taper-ish week for that week and bump the 12 miler to 2 weeks before race day. I do this for a couple of reasons. First, I am not a spring chicken and it takes me longer to recover than it used to. Second, if I get hurt or something tweaks, I have a cushion to take a couple of extra days off toward the end of the training cycle without feeling like I am cutting out anything important. I try not to mess with the plan itself otherwise. My tweaks are equivalent to adding a cutback week the week before the actual taper.
Thanks both of you for your thoughtful responses. I was thinking that a little cushion for illness, injury, and recovery might be nice. I guess I will see how things are going as it gets closer to the races.

The Princess Half is my first race longer than a 5k and I am following a beginner training plan. I am heading to Disney for MLK week and the training plan for that week includes a couple 4 mile runs and one 8 mile run. Should I do those runs as recommended or can I adjust them since I'll be walking several miles in the parks each day?

I am trying to figure out my ADRs too. I am thinking Citricos or Narcossee Sat. DD17 and I are doing the 10k and it is her 1st. We are staying at GF. We haven’t been to Citricos yet but had an amazing meal at Narcossee back in 2018.

The Princess Half is my first race longer than a 5k and I am following a beginner training plan. I am heading to Disney for MLK week and the training plan for that week includes a couple 4 mile runs and one 8 mile run. Should I do those runs as recommended or can I adjust them since I'll be walking several miles in the parks each day?
I wouldn’t worry about the runs. You won’t gain any fitness from doing them at this point and the fatigue on your legs from walking 9-10 miles a day in the parks more than makes up for them. I would be careful about park time the day before the HM since it is your first. I did my first HM at W&D 2019. My husband and I really tried to take it easy in the parks the day before but even minimal park time can be 5-6 miles with walking to busses and just getting through the gates. Both our legs were dead for race day. My legs ached from the very first step of that run and it never got better. It made for a very long 13 miles! I have employed a resort day for my other HM’s and my legs were soooo much better. I never really thought about the beating my legs were taking from park days since it’s walking and you stop so often, but it’s wearing for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter