Princess Weekend 2020

Frustrating day today. Was hoping to get my 10k time improved,, so I could move up one corral in the half marathon. Missed it by less than a minute. Not the end of the world, but just frustrated.

I'm sorry.

I was working on my 10K for the same reason, then realized that my cousin had NO 10K opportunities where she lives at the right time, so it was pointless for me to find a POT race (which would have been RnR San Jose or Vegas). We don't run together (weirdly we come in very close in time to each other at the finish), but we have started our various Princess events together since 2016, and I can't imagine changing tradition.

I'm sorry.

I was working on my 10K for the same reason, then realized that my cousin had NO 10K opportunities where she lives at the right time, so it was pointless for me to find a POT race (which would have been RnR San Jose or Vegas). We don't run together (weirdly we come in very close in time to each other at the finish), but we have started our various Princess events together since 2016, and I can't imagine changing tradition.

I did RnR San Jose hoping to improve my time, but I signed up for that race back when I was healthy. Unfortunately I had a hip situation that took me out of running for most of the summer so I wasn't feeling comfortable enough to push it during that race. Hindsight, I probably could have and been fine, but it ended up being a bit disappointing. I have a POT that still works, but I had been hoping to get up to the next corral with this race. Oh well! And I have the Monterey Bay Half Marathon this weekend, but I'm not expecting to get a time there that will really help unless a miracle happens lol

PW2020 is going to be my first HM. I'm currently on the Jeff Galloway training program and I'ts going really well so far. I'm a Vegas local, so the 10k RnR would be no problem for me to enter for a POT, but I'm not sure I'd be able to hit 1:15 so soon into the training. Is there anything wrong with being in the last corral? Would we still be able to stop and meet some of the characters in the race?

We're thinking about saving the funds for the 10k Vegas RnR and just getting to the starting line early to be in the front of our corral on race day.

Just think now you can gain some extra photo ops and still make a great finish time!!
I'm sorry.

I knew people here would get it. I ran the Senior Bowl 10K last year to have a time to submit for the half. I finished 1:15:29 last year. It was my first ever 10K. I was pleased with it. My then 15 year old daughter ran it (who by the way never trains) in 1:14:... She ended up in corral E and I ended up in F. It was fine, she started with me anyway. She and my other daughter both ran together in the half, I pretty much ran by myself. They are younger and faster. :drinking: Last year's princess was my first ever half marathon, my only goal was just to finish in front of the balloon ladies. I did not stop for any pictures along the way, I was too afraid to waste any time. I finished in about 3:15ish I think. My goal the other day was just to get under the 1:15 so I could submit that time. There are not very many 10K opportunities around here. Of course the deadline is fast approaching to even submit a time. I guess the most frustrating part was I thought I had it the whole way through the race. The times were posted at each mile, and I did the first couple miles in the 11:30 range which is decent for me. When I crossed the finish line, I remembered to stop my watch (so it was a few seconds later). My watch showed 1:15:49. Since I had also started it before I crossed the start line, I was really hoping the official time would be under the 1:15 mark. Then they didn't post anything at the race past the 1:12 time. The lady said they were having some "timing" issues. That further kind of frustrated me. When it was finally posted online later that day, I was stunned to see my official time was 1:15:59 (even more than my own watch said). It's all fine, I will be fine and I don't mean to sound like chicken little. I was just disappointed and I'll get over it. Corral F here I come again!

Just signed up for the Princess Half Marathon - my first runDisney event!! I'm quickly realizing that I don't even know what I don't know - which is a weird feeling for an uber-Type-A Disney planner like myself! So please bear with my newbie questions over the next couple of months.

First question . . . I know the race starts at 5:30am. We are staying at the Swan, which I understand has Disney transportation to the race. Does the transportation come every so often, like a regular Disney bus? If so, what time should we plan to leave the hotel on race morning?

We were at wilderness lodge last year. I think we got on the bus around 4. It seemed like our bus just kind of sat there until most all the seats were full. I remember that another pulled up and we pulled out. It was my 1st half marathon so I have nothing to compare it to. I would assume the other resorts would be similar. You will also already be in the Epcot start area if staying at the Swan. Good luck to you!

PW2020 is going to be my first HM. I'm currently on the Jeff Galloway training program and I'ts going really well so far. I'm a Vegas local, so the 10k RnR would be no problem for me to enter for a POT, but I'm not sure I'd be able to hit 1:15 so soon into the training. Is there anything wrong with being in the last corral? Would we still be able to stop and meet some of the characters in the race?

Depending on your pace, you can probably get some characters.
For example, let's say that by race day you're ready to run a 14 min/mi pace. For every mile you run, you gain 2 minutes ahead of the sweepers. By mile 5, you can wait in line for characters for 10 minutes. If you're faster than that, you get even more time. Being towards the front of your corral may also get you an extra few minutes.

The only thing I'd say is to pack your patience. You may have to weave around walkers and slower runners, and it can be hard to do that safely if you're not used to it. You'll also have to make some quick decisions about whether you have time for a character stop - so pay attention to line length, and if you have a watch/app that can monitor your time and/or pace, keep an eye on that as well.

Just signed up for the Princess Half Marathon - my first runDisney event!! I'm quickly realizing that I don't even know what I don't know - which is a weird feeling for an uber-Type-A Disney planner like myself! So please bear with my newbie questions over the next couple of months.

First question . . . I know the race starts at 5:30am. We are staying at the Swan, which I understand has Disney transportation to the race. Does the transportation come every so often, like a regular Disney bus? If so, what time should we plan to leave the hotel on race morning?
*Usually* there is a line of buses and one is pulling up as quickly as the one in front departs. I've had a couple of experiences where this was unfortunately not the case, but it has been the case enough that I plan around it happening. I am usually walking out of my room at 3:15 for a 5:30 start, but a person could probably get on a bus as late as 3:45-4 and still be quite comfortably in time. I usually end up with a full hour to kill, but there is lots to look at. Lead corrals start closing around 5 and walking to the start chute around 5:15.

Is there anything wrong with being in the last corral?

Just gives you less time for bathroom and picture breaks.

But if you entered an estimate that wasn’t the longest possible finish time, I doubt you’ll be in the last corral.

If you did put that but now you are faster, you can update that estimate through your rundisney account. Just don’t enter a time that requires proof of time, if you don’t have that.

Then they didn't post anything at the race past the 1:12 time. The lady said they were having some "timing" issues.

UGH.

Did they take pictures on the course? If so, enough to catch you at the beginning and end? I once disputed a time that Disney itself had for my son, and the course pictures helped. (I will say clearly that this was for his Mickey Mile, which I only requested because he knew his time and it he was not appreciative that they had it wrong, and it’s entirely possible they only humored me because it meant absolutely nothing to anyone but him)

Might be worth a try with rundisney, if there are enough photos of you on the course and finish line that can show that their chip was wrong.

If so, what time should we plan to leave the hotel on race morning?

Disgustingly early for this pacific coast person.

if you have a watch/app that can monitor your time and/or pace, keep an eye on that as well.

But do NOT pause it!!! If you currently pause your watch for the bathroom, stoplights, etc, stop now. Get out of that habit. Trust me.

I am usually walking out of my room at 3:15 for a 5:30 star

Sounds about right.

Went into my account to double check that I entered our POTs correctly ...and my sister's registration is not there (it's not in her account either, not that I expected it to be because I registered her). Sigh. Because what I really wanted to do was deal with runDisney tomorrow morning...

Went into my account to double check that I entered our POTs correctly ...and my sister's registration is not there (it's not in her account either, not that I expected it to be because I registered her). Sigh. Because what I really wanted to do was deal with runDisney tomorrow morning...

Update: I called. Their phone customer support is useless. All they did was give me an email address. And now I'm off to email them and hope that email support is less useless.

Update: I called. Their phone customer support is useless. All they did was give me an email address. And now I'm off to email them and hope that email support is less useless.

Yet Another Update: I called again, this time during my lunch hour instead of before work, and they actually helped. Registration is found and in my sister's account. All is okay now.

I'll be there for the 5K! My first runDisney event. I actually just ran my first 5K this weekend in Ft. Lauderdale. I've been training about a month, and I clocked in at around a 14 min/mile pace. My goal is to cut down to 12 min/mi by race day. I'm not looking to beat my PR-- I just want to have some fun and take advantage of the great views and photo ops without feeling strapped for time. My best friend is going to be there to support me (not racing, just spectating). We're still a little unsure of where she waits during the event. She's really shy about doing things on her own. Maybe she'll make new friends. I'm happy to have the support!

We're staying at All Star Movies at a really inflated rate (and that's with a passholder discount lol). No complaints here, though. It's a really crowded weekend on property. I understand.

I'll be there for the 5K! My first runDisney event. I actually just ran my first 5K this weekend in Ft. Lauderdale. I've been training about a month, and I clocked in at around a 14 min/mile pace. My goal is to cut down to 12 min/mi by race day. I'm not looking to beat my PR-- I just want to have some fun and take advantage of the great views and photo ops without feeling strapped for time. My best friend is going to be there to support me (not racing, just spectating). We're still a little unsure of where she waits during the event. She's really shy about doing things on her own. Maybe she'll make new friends. I'm happy to have the support!

We're staying at All Star Movies at a really inflated rate (and that's with a passholder discount lol). No complaints here, though. It's a really crowded weekend on property. I understand.

Congrats on your first 5K! You will have tons of fun with your first RunDisney event - a warning though, they quickly become a habit that you can't break!

In terms of your friend spectating, she will likely be able to watch you at the start and finish line. Last year this is what my mom did for the Princess 10K while I ran. Since the start and finish are in the same spot for Princess (unless things change this year), she can come with you in the morning and hang out until you enter the corrals. In the past there have been bleachers set up by the start line that she can watch you begin the race from. Then she can hang out in the pre-race area (there are characters and a DJ there) and make her way over to the finish line, where there should again be bleachers that she can watch from. As long as the course doesn't drastically change from previous Princess Weekends, it should be easy for her to support you at the beginning and the end of the race.

Anyone else have FP+ day coming up soon? If I'm doing my math right, mine is Sunday. We really have done zero planning (it's been tough with half my travel party going straight from midterms to finals over the last few months and me starting a new job last month), so I have no idea what we're gonna do.

Anyone else have FP+ day coming up soon? If I'm doing my math right, mine is Sunday. We really have done zero planning (it's been tough with half my travel party going straight from midterms to finals over the last few months and me starting a new job last month), so I have no idea what we're gonna do.

Mine is tomorrow! I did some slight framework planning yesterday ( which park which day, fast pass wish list) but that's about it. I don't want to lean toooo far into planning everything out and then not get things in that oder and have everything crash down.

A few months back my Mom decided that she would be joining me, originally it was a solo trip. It's been 16+ years since my Mom has been and the two visits she's had were full mom mode with 3 kids with about 4 years between the oldest and the youngest. So this will be a whole new world for her and I want to make sure we find a balance between seeing things but also not going too hard!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter