primeval whirl

goofy's friends

<font color=limegreen>**POOF**<br><font color=purp
::MickeyMo Is this ride for kids? Why the 48 in. height requirement? Can smaller kids ride without spinning?

I dont know the exact height requirement but, definately kids can ride this. I dont know, and doubt that you can stop the spinning, however, it is not real bad and only spins in certain areas, and even at that, it's not a violent spin. I definately think kids love it, but when you see it, of course, it's your judgement call.

The height requirement (48") has to do with the restraint style. Shorter kids wouldn't be securely held. The spinning cannot be "turned off." It's more intense than a kiddie coaster. The cars spin freely on the track and the track includes sharp curves and drops. It's about 40ft tall at the highest point and has a "Wild Mouse" layout.

Disney's site has a ride video

That one kind of threw me for a loop, no pun intended -- It's a little more intense than a regular coaster. But it was a lot of fun!

We were pretty surprised when my oldest DD wasn't tall enough to ride it when it first opened. She was about an inch too short. It 'looked' so tame but looks are deceiving! Since riding it, we now know why. Even I get sore getting pushed left and right on it! But it is fun!

You know...I ride Space Mt., RnRC, Splash, BTMRR....but PW really does me in. I don't know what it is exactly...maybe the spinning as you round a corner and then drop...all at once. But, this is the one ride (other than ToT!!!) that I can really do without. My dd loves it...doesn't bother dh but me...Oh man. You really do get bounced around in there.

Here's my personal experience with Primeval Whirl...

My son was more than tall enough to ride PW on our last trip, and was very excited about trying it out. DS is very tall and thin in build. Unfortunately, the restraint system on this ride isn't designed adequately to properly accommodate both average built adults and 'thin' children within the same ride vehicle--we spent half the ride desperately trying to hold onto my son, as the spinning & turning motion was pulling him right under the restraint and out of his seat!

Basically, PW is a fun 'wild mouse' style ride for adults and older/larger kids. But it was most definitely NOT a fun experience for my son, due to the poorly designed restraint system. I also had quite a bit of bruising after this ride--most likely because I was holding onto my son as oppossed to the restraint bar, and got tossed around quite roughly myself. You may want to consider using 'kid swap', as an alternative to taking lightweight children on this ride.

My 7 year old daughter was tall enough to ride in November. I agree with a previous poster - it looks much tamer than what it really is. My daughter will ride any ride at Disney. The first time she rode it, she hit her head on the side of the car and said she'd never ride it again - until about 5 minutes later and we ended up riding it another 4 times that trip! It is very jerky. After we rode it he first time, we knew to hold on tight. Mission Space didn't agree with me, but this one was okay.

Gee--my DD6 was just tall enough to ride this time. Actually one day they told her she was too short and we went back that afternoon and they said she was fine. I allowed her to ride it with her 11 year old brother. Then DH and I rode it with them a few times. Never did we feel that she was getting thrown out of the car and she is a very thin 44 pound kid and her brother is about 58 pounds and not much taller. If you are curious just ride it first. It does make a difference where you sit in the car for spinning--the kids always wanted me towards the outside to help with the spinning!

What we noticed about this ride was that when the kids sat in the center the spinning wasn't as bad as when the adults sat in the center seats. Maybe the majority of the weight in the center made it spin more? I'm not quite sure but DDs always want to be on the outside, they love the spinning. I'll take the inside, I hate looking to my left and not seeing anything below me.

I have a 11 and 10 yr old that loved the ride. My husband on the other hand had a very hard time with it. In fact, we now call it the Prime Evil Hurl.....When we were there in November all cars were turning.

I will have to agree with a few of the above posts. Large builds should not sit w/small builds.. the restraints stop at the large person, leaving the smaller to be whipped around. possibley harmed. Its alot more jerky then it looks. I was hoping for a smooth, spinning ride. E-gad was I suprised. Im prolly gonna try again when we return though! who knows. haha.

thanks for the honesty!! My kids are very small and probably would get thrown around. we will opt for some of the other coasters ::MickeyMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter