Priceline Bids/results

Just found the Last Minute Travel site after reading some of this thread. I am very impressed! I have used priceline and hotwire a lot and have been happy with the results, so I think this one will work for me.

My question is about hotel identification. I am looking at the 4.5 star in the Universal area dates are 9/20-9/21. It's listed at $78. That sound like a good deal for any 4.5 star hotel, but I am just curious if anyone has any ideas as to what it might be??? I have tried searching and the only 4.5 star in that area appears to be the onsite Portofino.
Did you find that price on LMT or HW? The site will help you determine what hotel comes up on HW:
http://www.betterbidding.com/

And there is a post (on this thread, I think) that will tell you how to decode the hotel for LMT. Use the search feature to search this thread.

Just found the Last Minute Travel site after reading some of this thread. I am very impressed! I have used priceline and hotwire a lot and have been happy with the results, so I think this one will work for me.

My question is about hotel identification. I am looking at the 4.5 star in the Universal area dates are 9/20-9/21. It's listed at $78. That sound like a good deal for any 4.5 star hotel, but I am just curious if anyone has any ideas as to what it might be??? I have tried searching and the only 4.5 star in that area appears to be the onsite Portofino.

It's not one of the Universal onsite hotels.
Some clues.
  1. Price is too low.
  2. LMT is generous with the hotel ratings. They list a lot of 5* properties.
  3. Click on the hotel description. It says the hotel has no pet policy. All 3 Universal hotels accept small dogs.

The hotel description will generally give you enough info to identify the hotel. Number of rooms. Resort fee. Pictures of the hotel.

edited to add I'm almost 100% sure the hotel is the Crown Plaza. LMT is over rating the hotel.

Maybe this will help?
http://www.hotwirerevealed.com/
There is also a website www.betterbidding.com that can help ID hotwire hotels. No guarantees of course but he's been correct for me in Orlando & Ft. Lauderdale many, many times.

I used the directions in post 469 (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=40079334&postcount=469) and the hotel in question is the Crowne Plaza.

It took 5 bids;)but I'm ditching SSR (banking my points) and staying @ the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress:woohoo:.

After the dust settled, my CC was charged $444 for 4 nights, not much more than a stay @ the values:rolleyes1

i'm reading on the resort fee & parking will set me back another approx $33 a day, still i'm $50 or so less a day than rack @ a moderate.

fyi, LMT had it for $894, taxes bumped it to $1,026, AAA priced out slight higher.

If you have a chance to cancel that reservation and change hotels, do it! The Sheraton is in horrible shape and definitely not worth it.

Having stayed there several times. Not sure I agree with this

Just got hyatt MCO for September 29 on Hotwire for $69 after taxes and fees

I just bid $45 a night for 2 1/2 stars for 10/23 - 10/28 on Priceline, and got the Best Western Plus Orlando Gateway Hotel.

(I'm happy with that.)

Bid today on a Celebration/DTD "resort" for 50 got denied and requested to 78 and GOT IT!!

at The Gaylord Palms!

I know there is 30/day fee for parking and fees, but this is still less than the Fl Resident/Passholder rate I was given for a value and cheaper than my CM friends discount! I am excited!

Is this thread still being read and answered?

I've never used Priceline but I'm feeling optimistic. We aren't planning to visit Universal until the first week in April so when is the best time to place a bid? I'm assuming right now is too early but since the first week in April proceeds Easter, I don't want to wait too last minute. I've attempted to read biddingfortravel but it's like greek to me. IDK maybe I'm not reading the right sections.

I've never used Priceline but I'm feeling optimistic. We aren't planning to visit Universal until the first week in April so when is the best time to place a bid? I'm assuming right now is too early but since the first week in April proceeds Easter, I don't want to wait too last minute. I've attempted to read biddingfortravel but it's like greek to me. IDK maybe I'm not reading the right sections.
Honestly, the best place to stay when visiting Universal is one of their onsite hotels. Yes, they're a bit high, but if you show your room key, you bypass the regular lines. It's like an unlimited fast pass. Once you try it, you are instantly so spoiled. :cloud9: We will never again visit Universal w/o a room key. They sell Express Passes but those are only good for once per ride. With the room key, it's unlimited.
All of their hotels are 4* deluxe and easy walk to parks or by water taxi. The Hard Rock Hotel is our fav; has a great pool and the shortest walk to parks.
They all offer AAA discount.
hth. :goodvibes

Thanks for the advice. I'm certain staying onsite would be terrific but this is going to be a bare bones trip - we're driving from Maryland to Ft. Myers to see our oldest son and stopping at Univ along the way for our 15 yr old to see HP so I'm looking for $50-70 per night hotels NOT $300+ at the Uni hotels. With two college-age kids (one 19 in PA too), we just don't have a lot of extra funds right now.

Going for a short weekend trip, Nov 11-13th (Veteran's Day Weekend). I used Priceline and bid $27 on a 2* Lake Buena Vista area (will only use a low star in that area, no place else :thumbsup2) and got the Extended Stay Deluxe on Palm Parkway :cool1: I just got that the last time I went too, Oct 14-17th's trip.

For that price you can't go wrong :banana::banana::banana: It is a studio room, with a full kitchen (minus the oven but you do get a stove). I don't plan on using their pool, never do on short trips. They have a free continental breakfast and that is a plus. I know they don't charge a resort fee and their internet service is $5 for the length of your trip. This trip I doubt I get it .. won't be in the room that much.. I will have to wait and see.. It is a super easy commute for Disney and Universal which is great for me since I am going to Epcot one day and IOA/US the other day... and maybe AK the day I head back home... so the location is just right...:thumbsup2

Thanks for the advice. I'm certain staying onsite would be terrific but this is going to be a bare bones trip - we're driving from Maryland to Ft. Myers to see our oldest son and stopping at Univ along the way for our 15 yr old to see HP so I'm looking for $50-70 per night hotels NOT $300+ at the Uni hotels. With two college-age kids (one 19 in PA too), we just don't have a lot of extra funds right now.

Gotcha:thumbsup2
When we stayed there, we had APs so with discount it's more like $129-179. I forget how much rack rate is esp now with HP.

Hi Carla, Priceline can save you a lot of money but there are a few things you should know. Reservations are non-refundable. You get what you get... while you can specify an area you want to stay and the star-rating of the hotel, you could get any hotel in that area. The hotel you get may or may not have the amenities you want (e.g., pool, breakfast, wifi, etc). Last, Priceline reservations are only guaranteed to accommodate 2 people (although most hotels can accommodate more).

It's quite risky and sometimes people are disappointed. But if you are prepared to roll the dice, you can save a lot of money. BiddingForTravel is not the most friendliest place. I highly recommend HotelDealsRevealed as a starting point for learning about Priceline, finding out what hotel you might get, and what price to bid.

Good luck.

Hi Carla, Priceline can save you a lot of money but there are a few things you should know. Reservations are non-refundable. You get what you get... while you can specify an area you want to stay and the star-rating of the hotel, you could get any hotel in that area. The hotel you get may or may not have the amenities you want (e.g., pool, breakfast, wifi, etc). Last, Priceline reservations are only guaranteed to accommodate 2 people (although most hotels can accommodate more).

It's quite risky and sometimes people are disappointed. But if you are prepared to roll the dice, you can save a lot of money. BiddingForTravel is not the most friendliest place. I highly recommend HotelDealsRevealed as a starting point for learning about Priceline, finding out what hotel you might get, and what price to bid.

Good luck.

I totally agree, again Good Luck

-M

I just did my first Priceline transaction and I have to say I am quite happy with the results, the hotel that I got was one I was considering.

I bid $50 for a 3.5 star in the DTD area and that was rejected, so I bid $55 for a 3 star in the same area and got:

Holiday inn Resort Lake Buena Vista
Jan 6-7

This is on the Mousesavers preferred list, so I am sure it's a good one!

I can cancel my reservation at CSR for $153

Glad this was bumped. We will need one night hotel only before checking into POR the next day. Now I have an idea of what a good rate will be and might try priceline for the first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter