Price per DVC pt?

MELSMICE

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be
Just wondering what the lowest anyone has paid for DVC pts. We are looking into the option & not sure what would be a good or great rate.

I am assuming you mean to rent. I have rented points before and now am a DVC owner.

I can tell you that the average going rate is about $10 pp. There are some that rent a little higher at $11-12; and a few that rent a little lower at $8-9--but the vast majority are around $10 pp. Sometimes if you rent in bulk or take all that the person is renting in one shot; they will give you a slight price break. I would say that $10 is the going rate and is a good price(and it might go up when the price per point the new owners pays goes up June 1.); anything less than $10 per point is a great rate.

It depends on when you are going too; occasionally someone will have points that are going to expire in just a few weeks, and I have seen those at $5-6 pp--but those are tough to rent to a non-dvcer because of the time needed to get your money then send the reservation to you. Plus, availability is tough.

It all depends on where you want to stay too. If you have your heart set on staying at Boardwalk Villas and want to save points by staying in a standard view; you must rent from someone who has Boardwalk points and you must rent so that the reservation is made at 11 months out. If not, you won't get it. Even preferred view rooms are pretty hard to get at Boardwalk at 7 months or less out.

Beach Club is new, so the demand will be high; and since it is not sold out yet, the inventory is low. Again, not likely to get in at the last minute.

Remember, the DVC owner typically has as much as $4.17 per point in the dues just for that year--each and every year; plus the initial minimum 5 digit investment (minimum buy in is now $11,250 at $75 per point). So, you won't see people giving them away--and $10 per point is no great profit for the owner either.

Trudy

TrudyZ,

We're planning a trip for my daughter's birthday next summer along with 3 to 4 of her friends. While I'm very familiar with Disney World and fairly familiar with the Disney hotels, I know very little about the DVC properties. I've considered renting points to stay at one of the DVC properties, since it would be too expensive to rent 2 hotel rooms onsite (I don't want to stay in the economy Disney hotels). Which property would you recommend for (very well-behaved - honest! LOL) 15 and 16 year olds? I'm assuming that I would need at least a 2 bedroom unit. We generally stay offsite and rent a house, but I've heard that some of the properties have incredible pool areas.

Thanks!
Sheila

I'm not Trudy, but I am a DVC'er & I've got to say that your 15 & 16 year olds would love either BWV's or BCV's I am absolutely sure... All four of the DVC properties are beautiful, but these two are located right next to EPCOT in an area that is lovely as well as lively, just the right combination! Renting points is less costly Sunday through Thursday nights, but, renting them for Friday & Saturday nights is expensive, just a heads up...

Thanks, chris1gill! I like the idea of being "right there" and had considered the Swan/Dolphin for that reason but like the idea of having a kitchen to save money. How many guests will they let you have in a 2BR? What about a 3BR? Do the 2BR's have 2 BA? What about the 3BR? Can you catch the monorail at Epcot to "make the rounds" or is the bus easier? We would probably rent during the week to save money and spend the weekend at US/IOA maybe (which my daughter LOVES).

None of the kids we would be taking have ever been before, so they would all be really excited. They will be a mixture of boys and girls, but they're all in our 4-H Horse Club, so we're already used to spending a lot of time together (traveling, etc.). However, we can't put everyone in the same room obviously, so BWV and BCV sound like the perfect compromise.

I'd love anymore suggestions! Thanks!

Hi Sheila,

the 2 bedroom units allow for 8 adults & a child under 3 (sounds like you don't have any babies with you). The Grand Villa at Boardwalk (3 bed) allows for 12, BUT, it costs an easy 1200.00 a night, even if you rent through an owner... I don't have the point requirements in front of me, but I would never use points on the BW GV... The OKW GV would be about 360 a night if you booked 11 months out with an owner... but I don't think your teens would get the max. out of that property (it's very laid back)... So, that leaves you with BW or BC... there are a couple of differences between the two. The BC has SOME 2 bedroom units that are dedicated. That means there are two queen beds in the second bedroom & no mini-fridge. All other 2 bedrooms at BW & BC have 1 queen & 1 sleep sofa with wet bar in the second bedroom (it's actually a 1 bedroom villa attached to a studio)... either way could be good for you, the teens might want the fridge in their bedroom (but of course there is one in the full size kitchen!) The units also have washer/dryers & large whirlpool tubs... Obviously some BWV rooms overlook the Boardwalk, but most don't... the ones overlooking the BW can hear at noise. Any other rooms at BW you won't need to worry about noise....

BCV's is new, opening July 1, as I said it has SOME dedicated 2 bedrooms which also means that second bedroom does NOT have a door leaving the unit to the Hallway, that might be important to you... It has all the same amenities as BW, but it also has use of the BC's Stormalong Bay pool, the teens will love that I'm sure...

That's about all I can think of, you can check out the rooms at www.disneyvacationclub.com

Oh, I almost forgot, having food available for teens in your kitchen will save you a ton of money...

I recently rented points from a DVC owner. He had until the end of this year to use them and I rented them for $8/per. We are staying in a 2 bedroom villa at BCV in Sept/Oct. The total points needed are 156. I was able to call member services and verify my ressie and was told that it was a dedicated two bedroom. At the time we checked availiability (last month) only preferred views were available at BWV but just about everything else (even grand villa at OKW) was available for our time - which is low season.

I lurked on the DVC Trade/Rent board for a while and asked a lot of questions before I commited. Now, I have DH considering talking about joining DVC when we go in Oct!!

There is a link somewhere that has photos of the BCV rooms. I think it's on the DVC board.

HTH.

You're right about the BCV photos; they're on a thread on the DVC Vacation Club Forum.

You've all been a great help. I think the one I need is the BCV. Stormalong Bay sounds like it's just what we need. I also like all the info on room types. It sounds like I can get along nicely with a 2BR/2BA. There will be a maximum of 7 of us. The 3 girls could have their room, the 2 boys could have the LR, and (hooray!) DH and I can have our own separate room! Plus, the location sounds perfect. I'm heading over to the other board now to look at pictures. Thanks!

That's good news! DVC owners that own at BCV's can reserve 11 months ahead of your trip, DVC owners that don't own at BCV's can reserve 7 months ahead... I can PM you with the DVC'er I'd recommend if you want (or others would certainly respond on the Resorts board). You can always go through Disney's Central Reservations as well (can't estimate what their costs would be)

However you book it, sounds like you'll have a great time!!

Thanks, Chris! I'll get back with you when we get a little bit closer. I appreciate the offer. This will be DD's sweet 16th, and it should be a fantastic trip. They're all such good kids that it will be a pleasure to introduce them to the wonders of Disney World. The pictures look great, and I can't imagine anyplace we would like better than BCV. The dedicated 2BR would be better (the 2 Q beds would be nice), but we could make do either way.

Thanks for everything!

You're welcome! Just be sure to plan early & watch the boards for whatever discounts Disney might be offering on the Villas as well, you never know what discount they might offer! It sounds like DD is going to have the birthday of her life!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter