Prevent Sleepwalking: locking resort doors from inside possible?

Liberator

Mouseketeer
On vacation I always have very lively/chaotic dreams. The result is sleepwalking. That happened very often, thus I already woke up in places like hotel-hallways, in front of elevators, stairways etc.

Once wearing only shorts. :confused3
I suddenly woke up on a different floor and covered the rest of myself with a bedsheet I found in a stack of housekeeping. Trying to wake up your roomates by knocking on the door is not very effective when they are enjoying a deep sleep. So I can tell you, going to the lobby-concierge covered with a bedsheet at 3am is no fun at all. :thumbsup2

One possibility to prevent this is locking the door from inside. It seems that I am not that intelligent to unlock doors during my nightly marches.
On vacation with my parents some years ago they told me I was looking for my brother who was not with us. They told my I got up, asked myself where he could be, opened the door and off I went. So they led me back to bed and next night I was looking for him again, but they locked the door from inside and I was not able to unlock!

Do all Disney resort-rooms have inside-door-locks?
Especially WL and POP
I do not want to get lost or walking to the Magic Kingdom at night in shorts!

Yikes! Is that metal bar you can flip over from the inside enough to stop you? I can't remember if Disney hotels have this but generally most hotels do.

I bet this is enough!

I rarely leave the room, but when I try to do this, this bar to lock the door should be enough.

Seems that I get very active on vacation even at night. I do not want to miss anything of the fun I could have :dance3:

I bet this is enough!

I rarely leave the room, but when I try to do this, this bar to lock the door should be enough.

Seems that I get very active on vacation even at night. I do not want to miss anything of the fun I could have :dance3:

During my youth it happened quite often, the last time it happened was maybe 3 years ago. So I hope it will not happen again at all ;)

Put your room key on a lanyard round your neck. That way of you do get out - you can get back in!!

The deadbolt lock will open when you turn the door knob. There is a latch that you flip to secure the door from the outside, but you seem to be quite able to open it while you are sleeping. You might try a door alarm that makes noise if you touch the door knob. The others around you might not like it, but it might wake you up.

You could also put the thing that holds your suitcase in front of the door with the suitcase on it! That may help keep you inside! Make sure to lock your balcony as well!

Put your room key on a lanyard round your neck. That way of you do get out - you can get back in!!

That's probably a great "just in case" idea just in case the OP's sleeping mind has gotten clever enough to unlock the door.

They sell all sorts of things to keep doors locked, from alarms to even just a basic rubber door stop. DH actually took one of those on his recent work trip to a place that isn't as safe as he wanted it to be, to stick under the door from the inside to prevent people from getting in. I bet that would flummox your sleeping mind. Though it could be a problem in case of a fire. Hmm.

Do all Disney resort-rooms have inside-door-locks?
Especially WL and POP
I do not want to get lost or walking to the Magic Kingdom at night in shorts!

We stayed at the WL last month and the doors locked from the inside and had a security chain.

We always put the security chain on, just in case. We don't want someone who has a key to get in while we are in there. I bet that would be hard to take off while sleep walking. :)

From experience when the kids were little I know one thing that would work.

Scatter some Legos on the floor next to your bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter