President Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize

UKDEB

Moderator Emeritus
Now, I'm a fan, but I'm baffled! For what? Sky News' Political Editor, Adam Boulton, has just summed it up perfectly; "For not being George Bush. Lots of us could have won it for that."

Actually, it's not Adam Boulton, it's Tim Marshall, their Foreign Affairs correspondent and he's making some excellent observations. He points out that Obama's contributions are aspirations rather than achievements, so why not give it to Miss World next year as she's sure to claim she wants world peace. He says there are many lesser known human rights activists who are making incredible headway at the risk of grave personal danger and who need both the £1.4M prize money and, more importantly, the protection afforded by the title. It's difficult for a Nobel Prize Winner to "disappear", he says.

Wow!!! How on earth did they come to that conclusion?? Were they paid??? IMO, in the face of other applicants, it's a strange token gesture that's unworthy of the spirit of the award. Morgan Tsvangirai in particular, was robbed. After all, any of us can talk the peacemaking talk - surely actions are way more important..?

And if it's for not being George Bush, shouldn't the award belong to the US citizens who voted for him...? Or the Democratic party money that paid for his campaign..?

I think this is totally absurd, far too much too soon for the man. This will blow his ego out of all proportion and I personally cannot fathom what on earth he has been awarded it for:confused3

When I think of somebody like Ban Ki Moon and his peacekeeping efforts in the Sudan. The man is a born diplomat that has achieved so much throughout his career.

Wow, that's bewildering! Although I think he's going to be a good President, he hasn't had chance to do anything yet! And they all make promises they don't keep.

wow! that is crazy. what has he done for peace. I like him for his liberal views however not even sure if the USA is even ready for them.:confused3

The guy hasn't even done anything yet? Who decides these things?!?!

when he first came on the scene i thought " the emperors new clothes".Always thought Hillary a better choice.
paul

I've not seen any news today. I thought this thread was going to be a joke ... until I took a look on a news website.

What precisely do you need to do to win the nobel peace prize as I'm sure I've done more peace keeping as a school lunchtime supervisor than he's done since January?

As you know, Debbie, I'm a BIG fan of President Obama and yet I, too, was startled when I woke to the news this morning. My first thought was--I didn't hear that right. My second was-This sounds like a Colbert parody done on the theme of Obama as Messiah. Then I thought the personalities (just erased a much harsher name for them) at FOX News who hate the President are going to be pulling their hair and gnashing their teeth endlessly about this.

I'd like to add to this discussion that as peculiar as this choice seems to be, it isn't President Obama's "fault" that the prize was awarded to him. I heard one sympathic commentator on the way to school this morning say that this could turn out to be a poison chalice handed to the President as it will surely be impossible for him (as it would be for anyone) to live up to what are extraordinarily high expectations for his future actions based on this Nobel Prize.

BTW, I'll gladly accept my share of the prize, as Mrs. CustardTart suggested I deserved, for doing my part with checkbook and ballot to get Obama elected.

I just hope Kanye West gets drunk enough to head up to the podium and say it should have went to Thabo Mbeki.

He points out that Obama's contributions are aspirations rather than achievements,

I am a fan of Obama but think this sentiment articulates why this award is so wrong. Totally devalues previous recipients achievements :thumbsup2

I'd like to add to this discussion that as peculiar as this choice seems to be, it isn't President Obama's "fault" that the prize was awarded to him. I heard one sympathic commentator on the way to school this morning say that this could turn out to be a poison chalice handed to the President as it will surely be impossible for him (as it would be for anyone) to live up to what are extraordinarily high expectations for his future actions based on this Nobel Prize.
I made the same point myself on another forum. The criticism shouldn't be aimed at Obama who's undoubtedly as surprised as anyone, particularly as nominations closed 11 days into his Presidency, but at the 5-man Norwegian committee who judged him more worthy than the other nominees. Maybe it's a master stroke, though - he's suddenly under a lot more pressure to deliver on his promises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter