Precheck Process for 14 year olds

kiramay

DIS Veteran
Hi! Please feel free to move this if there’s a better forum.

My husband and I have Precheck and love it! My kids have been able to go with us because they were 12 and under. However, next trip the twins will be 14. I’m absolutely spending the $85 each for Precheck, but I’m not sure how to do it. They don’t have drivers licenses.
So I looked at state IDs. Is that difficult? It looks like I need to find their social security cards and birth certificates, plus report cards or school registrations.

It’s feels so complicated for a minor.

My son has a passport, so I just took him on Tuesday (he'll be 13 in 2 months) with that. I didn't check the list, but I'd bring everything they suggest if you don't have passports.

If you live anywhere near Canada I would get nexus instead. Gives you easier access to Canada, plus global entry, and also precheck.

To get that you need passports. Which will help them when they get licenses in a couple years.

I signed my daughter up for Global Entry using her passport. If the kids don’t have a passport, then they probably need some other form of government ID.

What state?

1) Wouldn't the requirements for a state ID be the same as for a drivers license in two years (SS card, birth certificate, etc)?

2) Hoping that you don't live in a state that won't issue state IDs before the kid turns a certain age. There are a few states like that. Massachusetts and New Jersey, won't issue them for those under 14 (may help you; however it does not help the 13-year olds).

My granddaughter will be applying soon too. She has a passport, but we also live in a state where dmv offered ID cards for minors too (WV). Keep in mind that the parent needs ID too. Looks like it has to be a parent because we were going to take her, but can’t.

Your state's DMV should be able to tell you the requirements for a non driver ID. You generally need something that proves age, something that proves citizenship, and something that proves residency. (Birth certificate, social security card, and I would guess school report card or something like that).

If your state does not offer it to kids under a certain age, you may have to go the passport route (birth certificate, social security card, pics, and i think minors need both parents to approve the passport)

Suggestion if you decided to do PreCheck. One of my kids was under 16, so we used a passport. But, when we went for the PreCheck appointment, I needed their SSN, which I didn't have, nor do I have them memorized. Luckily, the manager suggested I call the person who does our taxes and they were able to give me the number over the phone. Maybe most folks have the SSN numbers of their kids memorized, I do not.

If you live anywhere near Canada I would get nexus instead. Gives you easier access to Canada, plus global entry, and also precheck.

To get that you need passports. Which will help them when they get licenses in a couple years.

And it's only $50 for 5 years. Not the $85 for precheck or the $100 for globay entry. That's the government for ya.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter