Pre-trip report, NYE at the Grand Floridian!

locashaina

Earning My Ears
Hello all! :mic:

I've been on the Disboards for a couple years but haven't spent too much time on it until recently. So, I have read quite a few trip reports but not too many pre-trip reports so I don't know exactly what information to put in...

Anyhow, a little about me.. I'm in my mid-20s and have been to DisneyWorld twice... I did not grow up going to Disneyland (CA girl here :sunny:!!) but have recently been going more since I can afford to take myself. I do not have kids so I enjoy as much Disney as I can because I know once that times comes for me, I won't be able to afford to go as much, or at least for a while. Most of my Disney adventures have been with my boyfriend, who I will call Beast (We relate a lot to Belle and Beast! :love2:) Beast is also in his mid-20s and although he got me into Disney more, I think I am a little more Disney obsessed than him! He grew up going to Disney countless times and has gone to DisneyWorld two more times than I have.

Our first DW trip was in 2011 and we went for 9 days... it was amazing! Honestly, before he took me I never even dreamed of going to DW... now I want to live there of course! That trip was amazing and it was just sooo much to take in! Of course we had to go back! It took three years for us to go back and unfortunately our trip was cut short as my grandma passed away two days into our trip so we had to head back early.... BUT we were convinced to go on a DVC tour and met Al, an awesome guide who got us hooked! First buying into it, we went back and forth on whether it was worth all the money (We didn't know about resale at this point and I'm still learning about it) but now that we have our first DVC trip booked I'm SO GLAD we bought into DVC!:tiptoe: (Side-note: We JUST booked a weekend trip to the Grand Californian in February! :drive: I am SO EXCITED!!!) Our home resort is the Grand Floridian! Currently, we are AP holders for DL but will be upgrading to the Premier Passport before we go to DW in December! I'm excited for the Premier Passport even if it is the only time in my life I own it!

Soooooooooo, now onto the good stuff! We are booked December 28-January 7 in a deluxe studio at the Grand Floridian. We strongly considered going for the AK villas but after much discussion decided for the season we are going we will probably end up ringing in the new year at our resort and I have seen many MANY articles and pictures of the Grand Floridian during that time... hooked! :fish:Booking this trip was obviously our first experience and a HUGE pain.... so much so that it turned into one of those moments of regret of buying into DVC... I woke up at 5 on January 28th just to find December 28th booked! It took some hard learning but then I realized I could not wait list the first day and book the rest of the trip.... :badpc::badpc::badpc: I was SO FRUSTRATED!!! The next two days... same thing! (Feeling huge regret now) Fourth day... I could book the remaining part of the trip AND I could book the first two nights... I was super excited but super frustrated all at the same time! So now I had most of the trip booked with some odd waitlisting in between but within a week BAM, booked! Beast had to book the second part of the trip (January 4-7) on his points and of course, he had no problems! :yoda: So January is over and we just booked our first DVC trip! Here comes months of research since our first two trips had both been in late August....

From February-July I researched into dining, crowd craziness, NYE at the parks... Our rough idea (besides dining reservations since we booked those July 1st) is to ENJOY our time at the parks since we are now DVC and now know we will be back many times and not rush from ride to ride...

Break time for me... I need to watch Celebrity Family Feud with Beast and I can't pay attention writing this :teleport: I plan to edit and update this first post as I go along... I am currently writing this on Beast's tablet so I do not have access to my pictures... I'll be back!

:wave:

Like I said, we plan to just take it slow and enjoy the parks and different experiences. We had planned on going to the waterparks finally but I just read they will be seasonally closed until the 4th so that's up in the air. On Sunday the 3rd we plan to go to Universal Studios, our plan is to take a taxi from DTD which is what we have done before. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan but I'm excited to see all the new additions! We have never been rope drop people but from all my time on the boards here I am seeing the benefits of being there at that time so we are going to try to be there for rope drops because we are definitely return to our room and rest people!
Dining reservations:
We get in the 28th around 11am ish... After booking we realized our layover is Cincinnati and we may be chancing delays thanks to snow... so I didn't book any dining reservations the first day just in case!
December 29th: 6:45 at BOG (yes!!!! :mickeyjum)
December 30th: 8:25am at Akershus (can anyone tell me how to pronounce this properly???) I'm SUPER excited that photo ops are usually with Belle! and 7pm reservation at Via Napoli since Beast's absolute favorite food is pizza
December 31st: 6:45 at 1900 Park Fare so we can just relax and enjoy ringing in the new year at our resort, plus we're not fancy dining people thanks to Beast's pickiness
January 1st: 6:50 at Teppan Edo.. never ate here before but I see it is Benihana style so yay!
January 2nd: 8:40 breakfast at the Crystal Palace
January 4th: 11:45 lunch at BOG and 7pm dinner at Via Napoli....

We're trying to not overdo it reservation wise but we love Via Napoli and BOG, we want to try Teppan Edo, want to get in early to the parks hence Crystal Palace

We were able to book our flights for about $400 each round trip... IMO that is not too expensive 8-) We will be taking a red eye Sunday night and should be getting in that morning (**fingers crossed no delays!**) and departure day we do not leave until about 4in the afternoon so we're hoping to have some last minute fun in the parks!

If there is other information people like reading, please let me know! I am still learning what to include... 5 months seems so far away! Luckily I have two DL trips and a HHN at Universal Hollywood to look forward to in the time between! :wave2:

You picked a great resort for this vacation and time frame! You will have a fabulous time.

You picked a great resort for this vacation and time frame! You will have a fabulous time.
Thank you! I'm nervous about the crowds but I just experienced DL for the anniversary and it really was all about mindset! Several DTD cast members told us we were the first to say we had a good time that day!

We will be at Bay Lake Tower in a 2 bedroom theme park view during your dates. We are planning to catch Wishes on the 30th when MK is open till 2am. For NYE we are going to have dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe and then head back to BLT to watch NYE fireworks from our balcony. As long as you are prepared for crowds the Holidays are great. Make sure you make all your FP+ at your 60 day window. I think that opens on Oct 28th

We will be at Bay Lake Tower in a 2 bedroom theme park view during your dates. We are planning to catch Wishes on the 30th when MK is open till 2am. For NYE we are going to have dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe and then head back to BLT to watch NYE fireworks from our balcony. As long as you are prepared for crowds the Holidays are great. Make sure you make all your FP+ at your 60 day window. I think that opens on Oct 28th
Ah! Sorry I never saw the notification for your reply! Your trip already sounds amazing! My goal is to stay there one time with a theme park view. We figured we'd stay at our home resort for our first trip before trying all the different resorts! Unfortunately, I can't make my FP+ right at the 60 day mark... I will be going to DL Nov 6th and will be buying my Premier Passport then so it'll be immediately once I return home!

Just got confirmed for the Grand Californian for Valentine's Day weekend! Yayyyy!
:hmghost::maleficen:mickeyjum:donald::dumbo::goofy::tigger::simba::simba::simba::simba:

Joining in! Your trip sounds amazing! New Years at WDW amazing!

Also Valentine's Day at DL! Also amazing!

Joining in! Your trip sounds amazing! New Years at WDW amazing!

Also Valentine's Day at DL! Also amazing!
Welcome! I'm new to pre-trip reports so I don't know what information people like! Ha. And Valentine's day weekend will be my first time at the Grand Californian so I'm super excited!

Welcome! I'm new to pre-trip reports so I don't know what information people like! Ha. And Valentine's day weekend will be my first time at the Grand Californian so I'm super excited!

I like to hear other people's plans and what they picked for meals and FP stuff like that. Yet I don't think you can do a PTR or TR wrong they are yours and post what you want!

So, I just changed my 6:45 NYE 1900 Park Fare reservation to 8:35. I figured since we will be staying up late that night, I'd better push back our dining reservation so we can really rest and shower. Beast and I are definitely casual people but for some reason, dressing up on THIS night sounds fun! Just being at the Grand Floridian and now dinner reservations.... fancy (for us at least!) I read on another post for NYE, 1900 Park Fare makes a big deal about what happens at midnight and how important it is to Cinderella's tale. This has me excited all over again! pixiedust:I JUST started grad school last week so now I am working full-time and going to school full-time... kinda scary. This trip was planned before I even considered grad school and luckily the dates fell right in line with my school's winter break! I start a new semester the Monday after we get back! Ahhhh! :crazy:

So, I just changed my 6:45 NYE 1900 Park Fare reservation to 8:35. I figured since we will be staying up late that night, I'd better push back our dining reservation so we can really rest and shower. Beast and I are definitely casual people but for some reason, dressing up on THIS night sounds fun! Just being at the Grand Floridian and now dinner reservations.... fancy (for us at least!) I read on another post for NYE, 1900 Park Fare makes a big deal about what happens at midnight and how important it is to Cinderella's tale. This has me excited all over again! pixiedust:I JUST started grad school last week so now I am working full-time and going to school full-time... kinda scary. This trip was planned before I even considered grad school and luckily the dates fell right in line with my school's winter break! I start a new semester the Monday after we get back! Ahhhh! :crazy:

OH this sounds so fun! One day i want to head back for the Holidays!

Good luck with school, full time work and school you are going to deserve this break!

Hey there! Followed you over from my PTR! I'm still catching up but your plans look great. I'm so excited for NYE at WDW! Yay!! pixiedust: << (this is NYE confetti) :rotfl:

So, some minor changes to my ADRs... I canceled Akershus' because Beast is so picky and I've heard it is hit and miss on whether they will serve you pancakes... I'm not a huge breakfast person either.... BUT we replaced it with breakfast at Tusker House which Beast's SIL suggested because they had done it last time and said it was AWESOME! 103 days left for me (actually 102 because our flight is a red eye!) For now, I am thinking we should resort hop on our first day there as Delta contacted us to let us know we'd be arriving at 9:30am instead of 11:15 (Shortened layover = more Disney time...YAYYYYY!!) so that way we can adjust and somewhat relax... So during our November trip to DL we will be getting the Premier passport, which I've read can be problematic... so I am not sure how this year will go with the FP+... oh well! I just love that people here on the boards are big on countdowns as well because people in my life think I'm crazy :earboy2:

Dalmatian day!!!!!! Just booked the Merry and Bright Dinner Reception which sounds awesome! I'm super excited about the shadow box that we get with it. I will have to call and discuss Beast's pickiness and hope for foods he can eat... Anyhow I will be going to Universal's HHN in a couple weeks... DL about a month later then it is December finally!!!

So, I just bought our discount tickets off Undercover Tourist last night. We were planning to get he Premier Passport in November but with the recent price increases... it just wasn't worth it anymore. :guilty: I was really looking ford to being a Premier Passport holder too. bleh. Now my tickets aren't going to come in in time for the 60 day FP+ window. BUT one step closer to WDW anyways! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter